Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
PBI Advice

Hi,

I am doing my PBI training this weekend, and I have been given my subject.

‘Advice to inland drivers about costal waters’

I am after some advice if anyone can help me; my main question is how much detail do I need to go into? And what do I need to cover – as there is so much that I think needs to be said.

This will be my first RYA instructor qualification – so if anyone can give any useful inside information let me know.

Steve
Old 23 November 2007, 07:58   #2

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Advice to inland drivers about coastal waters .
Section B Theory g20/04.
Comes under Knowledge of the subject

The subject will be briefly explained . Familiarsation during the course and information on where to find out more.

Put your self in your students shoes
What information would you like to know about coastal waters.
Where could you find this information
What further recommendations in training would you make.
Cheers Tim
Old 23 November 2007, 09:13   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
PBI advice

Steve

May be worth giving the centre a call, I would have thought their letter/email to you would have given you some guidance on content/what level to pitch at.

RYA book G19 give you lost of helpful hints on how to deliver and G20 give you the syllabus. To amplify what Tim said you are effectivly deliverying a talk to comlete beginners - what do they need to know?

Best of luck next week
Old 23 November 2007, 10:12   #4

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I'm presntly driving a survey boat so I don't have access to the relevant docs but these are my thoughts also remember i'm a Mariner not a prophet so don't take this as gospel

The talk lasts about ten minutes which can be a real long time or not enough depending on how you pace youself.

To me the biggest differnces are route planning/navigation. waves/ sea states and the increased need for reliability and safety equipment due to the tougher envoirenment . . If I remember correctly you've been the victim of a poorly prepared charter boat so you can cover that part with conviction

As with all boating the overiding message is safety, so drill home the point that you don't go out if it's too rough or likely to be and give safe weather limits. Don't go into weather but you could ofer a handout telling your sttodents where thay can find this info from. Also inform your students about the RNLI sea safety scheme and advise em yo have a free checkup

The point is that you can't possibly coveer in detail all of these areas in your alloted time. so make reference to the sections and show people where to look in the Start Powerboating handbook.

The Almanac has a very good section on sea states which you could take a copy with you and show also leave it on the table as a crib.

I sometimes have problem of confidence when I am presenting unless I have practiced the presentation. So I'd advise you to practice as well. As well as a test of knowledge this part of your course is about assessing your ability to engage stoodents.

So decide what media you are going to use, if any, and get the preparation done. Avoid using flip charts/white boards if you have scruffy writing or prepare your flip charts before hand Good thing about prepared flip charts is you can write crib notes on the bottom of the page if you wan't.

I presume the school have told you what presentation aids they have. No good pitching up with a powerpoint presentation on a stick if ther aint a PC (Plan B methinks)

One other point is to try and get your presentation done first, it's over with then and you don't have to fret about it for the rest of the course remeber you don't have to cover everything but you should mention all the relevant points
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2007, 10:47   #5

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Steve

First of all good luck with your PBI. Take note of what other people have said on this forum. Keep the subject simple, as remember it is aimed at people who are starting to go boating. Keep your presentation clear and too the point and try not to wander from the subject as this is quite easy to do.

One point to consider when preparing your presentation is that there must be a beggining, middle, and end.

May I suggest a subject to discuss would be tides, ie spring and neap tides, Chartered depths and what these mean to the local tide table.

If you need any further help then PM me.

Good Luck

Simon
Old 23 November 2007, 15:46   #6

Town: Harlow, Essex
Boat name: On Water Training
Length: no boat
The only other thing I would add is that your instructor will be assessing your ability to deliver information - KISS - keep it simple for the stupid.

The topic could be one of may things you will cover as a PBI so take it as a learning experience as well - your Instructor is there to advise and guide so feedback from him or her is invaluable. This is learning for you...!

Your topic is about coastal waters for inland drivers - think as others have mentioned

1. Sea State / action in event of an emergency / calling for help / what coastal means (i.e. not off to France..!)
2. Tide and its effect on boat handling
3. Passage planning - i.e. safe ports of call, BASIC chart work - information and symbols etc - what they all mean...
4. Basic weather matters and the impact of it along the coast - lee shores etc
5. Where to find information on all the above

You won't need to go into how to work out tides etc and in fact, the ten minute presentation you are doing is to assess you, not the topic particularly so no need to go into any great depth. Remember that much of the course theory that you will eventually be teaching will be covered whilst on the water with a briefing on shore or in the classroom covering the basics - worth mentioning this in your presentation.

I am very much of the opinion that the on shore sessions for PB1 and 2 should be briefing the students about the exercises that you will be carrying out on the water, covering safety topics that will impact upon the practical exercises - on a two day course, the classroom is mostly on the water anyway...

Do add more questions on here if you need further info or help but when you eventually teach - remember the 7 P's.

Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance - your Instructor needs to know that you have the capacity, knowledge and skill to deliver all aspects of the course - this presentation is to evidence that you can present theoretical information to your students - nothing more...

Good luck and best wishes,

Gordon..
www.onwatertraining.co.uk
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2007, 23:15   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
KISS
Quote:
remember the 7 P's
Steve - don't invent/reinvent or needlessly use any ackronyms and you will be fine! I am not a PBI but have a fair bit of training experience ackronyms are used to either help a trainer who can't remember the points or to help students memorise facts/lists for exams and NOT to help students understand

If it helps from a non instructors point of view - one of the key issues that struck me when moving from inland yachting to the coast were: the times when you could launch and recover... just getting afloat or home were the issue.
Old 24 November 2007, 08:09   #8

well you learn something every day

If your lucky!

I've never been on any inland waters so the above point never occurred to me. I always assumed everybody had to launch /recovery with the tides permission.

I'll remember to point that out in the future Thanks
Old 24 November 2007, 08:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Steve - don't invent/reinvent or needlessly use any ackronyms and you will be fine! I am not a PBI but have a fair bit of training experience ackronyms are used to either help a trainer who can't remember the points or to help students memorise facts/lists for exams and NOT to help students understand
Agreed - these are to help Instructors remember the topics or elements of what they are teaching as above, although you'll find some very useful ones that you can pass on to students to help them remember...

Remember that there are many acronyms used in sailing and on the water as well - COG, SOG, IALA, CEVNI, ICC etc. Only use them with a full explanation and only when necessary, especially if you are working with people who have never been on the water before - it's easy to slip into nautical speak and confuse the hell out of students who are only just getting to grips with port and starboard....

G...
Old 24 November 2007, 09:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
The only other thing I would add is that your instructor will be assessing your ability to deliver information - KISS - keep it simple for the stupid.

KISS doesn't that mean Keep it Simple, Stupid The Stupid person being the one overcomplicating the issue It sound silly but for me it's important.
Old 24 November 2007, 16:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
KISS doesn't that mean Keep it Simple, Stupid The Stupid person being the one overcomplicating the issue It sound silly but for me it's important.

...and that...
Old 25 November 2007, 22:20   #12
scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Mercury 275
[QUOTE=Polwart;228181] Steve - don't invent/reinvent or needlessly use any ackronyms and you will be fine! I am not a PBI but have a fair bit of training experience ackronyms are used to either help a trainer who can't remember the points or to help students memorise facts/lists for exams and NOT to help students understand

Absolute rubbish... note the the words "i am not a PBI..." Says it all.

Regards
Stuart
Old 25 November 2007, 23:35   #13

I think Polwart's right, people hide behind Jargon and TLA's (that's triple letter acronyms to the less clever) to make themselves appear more erudite and to attempt to impress others.

It's the difference between telling your Mum to roll 10db of the 8k eq or just saying turn the treble down a bit. I know which one is less confusing

How did you do Steve BTW
Old 26 November 2007, 00:23   #14

Town: West of Scotland
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 100
so how was it?

how did it go, ?
Old 26 November 2007, 05:36   #15

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 250hp
Steve

How did it go? Did you do it at Pass Menai?

Jono
Old 26 November 2007, 07:11   #16

Town: Lancs
RIBase
Thanks for everyone’s help and everyone asking how it went.

Did the talk yesterday, and it went well – I had good feedback from the group and from the trainer – Just there was a lot of “umms” in there

I did a small “flip” presentation on A3 paper that I talked through - another comment was that people sat at the back could not see it very easily.

The subjects I covered were
Weather
Tides
Limitations of vessel and crew
Buoys and navigation
Launching and recovery
Communications afloat
CG66

This was the only thing I was really worried about – as I my driving is ok (Not to sound big headed) but I am out every weekend.

I am doing the training at Hollingworth Lake Water Activity Centre, its split over two weekends (24th & 25th Nov and 1st & 2nd Dec)

Not at Pass Menai – But I have some friends on this – I would not have minded doing this one to get the costal.

Regards
Stephen Hall
Old 26 November 2007, 08:46   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
[QUOTE=scm;228475]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post

Absolute rubbish... note the the words "i am not a PBI..." Says it all.

Regards
Stuart
Steve, glad to hear you got on well.

Just to clarify whilst what I said does apply to unnecessary ackronyms / jargon - there are certainly some which are necessary. I was actually meaning Mneumonics - which in my opinion are often over used in classroom situations. There are a very small number of mneumonics which are actually add to understanding.

...IMHO so long as you are enjoying yourself training, keep an open mind to advice from people who have sat through your or others courses, or who have expertise from other fields you can only continue to develop...

I sometimes "emm" a lot when delivering pre-prepared presentations. How much depends on the audience and level of practice (bizarely it seems to be more likely if I overrehearse!). It takes a conscious effort to avoid it. Following someone else's advice I practice avoiding your "habits" not just when presenting - so e.g. when you leave a voice mail message etc - it seems to help...
Old 26 November 2007, 09:11   #18

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Steve,

This is a practical course so keep it practical where you can.
Get the students to be "hands on" as much as you can with you talks.

I always work by this:-

"what I see I forget, what I hear I remember, what I do I understand"

Best of luck for the second weekend.
Old 26 November 2007, 11:51   #19

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 250hp
Well done!

If you want do come and do any practical co teaching on the coast, just drop me a line.

Jono
Old 26 November 2007, 11:55   #20

Town: Lancs
RIBase
Thanks for the offer!

One thing I would like to do is get my certificate coastally endorsed? What’s the best route to follow to get this completed?

This would also enable me to get my Intermediate and Advanced tickets.