Old 30 July 2004, 07:59   #11
Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
Inadequate fines for non compliance with regulations are rife in the UK. I know of one person who had worked since the 1970's on Diving vessels worldwide on forged certificates of competency. During that time I reckon he will have earned anywhere from 300k to 500k. Crime pays!

From MCA website:

Defendant: Neville George Young

Late September 2002, the MCA Enforcement Unit were informed that a recent MCA spot check had revealed, Mr. Neville Young, of Aberdeen, was obtaining work as a First Officer on board a ship trading in the US Gulf, using a forged photocopy of a Chief Mates Certificate of Competence. The MCA Enforcement Unit sought the co-operation of Sussex Police and Young was arrested upon his return to the United Kingdom in October last year.

Upon his arrest, Young was found to be in possession of photocopies of British and Liberian Certificates of Competence. The joint investigation between Sussex police and the MCA revealed a catalogue of occurrences since 1998, where Young had obtained work as a senior Officer or Captain on board ships all over the world, by offering forged copies of qualification to employers.

At his court hearing at Lewes Crown Court on the 9th June 2003, Young was convicted on 4 charges of possessing and using forged qualifications and sailing as a senior officer on a British Ship without holding a valid Certificate of Competence.

Sentencing Neville Young to 9 months imprisonment and fining him £500 for sailing as an unqualified Officer, His Honour Judge Brown said :-

“Forgery is a very serious offence and this act could have put other sea-fares lives at risk. Only a custodial sentence is justified”. On noting the mitigating facts, Judge Brown suspended the sentences for 2 years and ordered that they run concurrently

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote