Old 25 June 2013, 12:39   #1

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Own Boat Tuition (Rag n Stick)

A'noon all..

Can anyone recommend own boat RYA instructors near Chichester?

We've recently sold the RIB and bought a yacht and the Mrs is full of enthusiasm but needs some tuition. Actually, we both do - her in everything from scratch, me in the nitty gritty of sails and string, particularly when short handed. My nav, RoR and general seamanship is pretty up together.

Ideally, we'd like to follow the RYA syllabus, from the bottom (Start Yachting) and work our way up together, on our own boat. Initially I'd think we'd want to do one long weekend a month until the end of the season, then a shore based course or two over the winter and then back onto tuition in April.

The yacht is a 38' cruiser racer based out of Chichester Marina

Any recommendations gratefully recieved, as would an indication of how these things are priced!

Old 25 June 2013, 12:46   #2

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
When we did our day skipper, also out of Chichester, we used Southern Sailing - a bloke came out with us on our Bavaria for a couple of weekends and signed us off, we had already had a season of pottering about and RYA dinghy and cat L2.

I'm sure most instructors would be happy to come out with you but I'd recommend meeting them first as you may be spending a fair bit of time together, the first chap who taught us boat handling in the marina was an idiot and we wouldn't have wanted to spent a minute longer with him than we had to.
Old 25 June 2013, 13:27   #3

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Obviously there's loads of RYA schools/instructors around in the Solent/Portsmouth/Chichester area, I'd echo Thomas' comments that it's more about finding the right instructor! Especially if being taught on your own boat - there's some instructors I've come across who I wouldn't trust with teaching on my boat!

He's in Lymington, but I can highly recommend Charlie at Charlie Sailing (Charlie Sailing - Sailing School : Home). A highly experienced ocean skipper/instructor, a very patient teacher and a nice guy!
Old 25 June 2013, 14:50   #4

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Thanks Chaps. I'll have a chat with Southern Sailing, Charlie looks like he'll be out of budget...