Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24 May 2004, 10:00   #1
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,294
Non RIB related question: letting your boat (cruiser)

I am considering the possibility of letting out a beautiful 1930s 2-birth broads cruiser. I need to do a "feasibility study" before I can convince some investors (my parents) to cough up some cash to buy it!
Anyway, I was wondering if anybody knows anything about letting boats out in this country?
Apart from insurance and a certificate for the gas, what else do you need? (Does anyway know how expensive the insurance might be in comparison to regular insurance??)
Any help would be great

Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2004, 10:36   #2
Trade member
tim griffin's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,859
tim check out the insurance first no 1 priority
they will ask you what qualifications you are going to require before letting out the boat ,
public liability lots of it safety equipment lots of it
factor in all the damge its going to get,
and how quick it will devalue.cost of replacing engine parts/sails and damage to topsides and so on.
how many realistic days/weeks of the year you can let it
how much are other companies on the broads charging(can you compete)
do you need licence for hire?
where will clients collect/leave boat
does it need an inland waterways/ safety certificate
how much for moorings
what rate of interest will folks charge
argghhhhhh dont do it unless 100% sure it's gonna make some money
its a hard game and short season and if clients damage the boat and its out of action you will lose bookings and money
regards tim
Tim Griffin
RYA Freelance YMI power Powerboat and PWC instructor trainer vhf first aid sea survival Diesel engine radar and navigation instructor
tim griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2004, 10:49   #3
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,294
Thanks Tim.
I think insurance is going to be the big problem, as it is with all my amazing ideas! (Like the bouncy castle hire, the trailer hire, the baked potatoe trailer etc etc.....
As for licence, as long as you have suitable rier tolls paid you are OK. Moorings too shoulnd't be a problem.

If I don't hire it out I might just keep it for my self! Just got to conince the powers that be that it's a good buy.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.