Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 November 2014, 10:52   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Jersey Seafaris
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp evinrude
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
New engines: Verados or Suzukis

Looking for some advice!
I am running a Humber 8.5m RIB. We currently have 2 200HP HO etecs.
I'm looking at the option of running a slightly larger RIB and unsure which engines to go for.
Etecs wise the new engines have been released but concerned with new engines there will be issues which i could do without!

I have been steered towards either Suzuki DF250/300APX or Verados 250/300.
Looking for advice basically!
Cruising speed is generally around 28kts and fairly constant speeds with an average load of 12 passengers.

Please let me know what you think is best!
__________________

__________________
riccardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 11:09   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by riccardo View Post
Looking for some advice!
I am running a Humber 8.5m RIB. We currently have 2 200HP HO etecs.
I'm looking at the option of running a slightly larger RIB and unsure which engines to go for.
Etecs wise the new engines have been released but concerned with new engines there will be issues which i could do without!

I have been steered towards either Suzuki DF250/300APX or Verados 250/300.
Looking for advice basically!
Cruising speed is generally around 28kts and fairly constant speeds with an average load of 12 passengers.

Please let me know what you think is best!
Evinrude have just dropped the price of the current model 200HO, 250 and 300HP E-tecs in preparation of the arrival of the G2's early next year, if you are happy with your current 200s and they have given good service then you could pick up a bargain on a pair of new ones.
__________________

__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 11:25   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Jersey Seafaris
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp evinrude
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Evinrude have just dropped the price of the current model 200HO, 250 and 300HP E-tecs in preparation of the arrival of the G2's early next year, if you are happy with your current 200s and they have given good service then you could pick up a bargain on a pair of new ones.
Thanks for that Chris, definitely worth thinking about. However it is all i have known so it would be great to hear how others find the suzukis or verados. I have heard good reports from both!!
__________________
riccardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 11:27   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Suzuki's would be my preferred option they seem to have cornered a large chunk of the rib market and I think for very good reasons.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 11:34   #5
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Suzuki's would be my preferred option they seem to have cornered a large chunk of the rib market and I think for very good reasons.
X2
Yep...if it's Four stroke you decide on....Mine too!
Love em!.......Good on Fuel too
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 11:57   #6
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,122
I have a new Suzuki 2013 250 AP with the electronic controls and it's a dream. All my friends say, "it's running?" the first time I fire it up and idle. I don't have a ton to compare to, I used to have a 2001 honda 90 which I also loved, except for the carbs and today's crappy gasoline, and my friends boats with older Yamaha 2 strokes that recently blew up and you couldn't hear yourself think over.

jason
__________________
Bigtalljv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 14:07   #7
Member
 
Lee argyle's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350sci x 2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 369
I've run a few verados, till late this summer my 8m had a 300 on the back, ran faultlessly, on idle apart from the tell-tale you wouldn't know it was running, the superchargers give instant punch and impressive performance. Might pay you to try a couple of outfits with different lumps?
__________________
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
Lee argyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 15:17   #8
Member
 
Boatnomad's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Suzuki's would be my preferred option they seem to have cornered a large chunk of the rib market and I think for very good reasons.
Yes, would be mine also.
__________________
Boatnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 16:08   #9
Trade member
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,455
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
I think you should be talking to somebody who is running a similar operation to you and is using Mercury Verado engines . Here I can think of 250knots who owns and runs PooleSesafari.
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 17:05   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Jersey Seafaris
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp evinrude
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I think you should be talking to somebody who is running a similar operation to you and is using Mercury Verado engines . Here I can think of 250knots who owns and runs PooleSesafari.

Hi Andre
I've spoken with Poole Seafari and they highly recommend the verados, I was just looking for any other operators, the more info the better!!
Richard
__________________

__________________
riccardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.