Old 12 July 2010, 15:30   #1

Town: west wales
Make: humber destroyer 5m
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 yamaha
more advice please!

Hi all, I've got a pb2 and a powerboat instructor cert,vhf,first aid,yachtmaster theory,dayskipper theory and practical (sail) and an ICC (sail,which is pb up to 10m and sail up to 24m)
I can see from what I've read on here that I'd need a medical and a see survival cert,what else do I need to get a commercial certification that is of any use to gain a bit of work?
Don't need much as early retired and have a decent income.
I've done a few hundred hours in various sail and powerboats.
What would be best to do ,advanced powerboat or coastal skipper (power) ?
Not really interested in teaching as that seems to be minimum wage dog eat dog unless you own the school (around here anyway!)
Old 12 July 2010, 15:48   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Advanced Powerboat is going to be cheaper and easier than Coastal skipper.

Commercial endorsement will require 1 day Sea Survival and medical from your doctor
Old 12 July 2010, 16:15   #3

Town: west wales
Make: humber destroyer 5m
Engine: 90 yamaha
Thanks for your reply
will advanced powerboat allow me to add powerboat 10m and over to my ICC ? or do I need a dayskipper powerboat practical for that?
thought I'd do a cevni course as well just to fill up all the boxes on the ICC
I know this is no use for work here but handy for europe perhaps?
Old 12 July 2010, 20:49   #4

Dayskipper or an ICC assessment on a boat over 10m required for ICC over 10
Old 12 July 2010, 21:47   #5

Length: no boat
Quals

for work in Europe it depends on the country and whether they accept RYA advanced powerboat. Generally the norm is Yachtmaster Offshore STCW 200 endorsed. Coastal Skipper although it is a valid qualification and can be commercially endorsed is very rarely accepted, most agencies will only accept Yachtmaster.
Old 12 July 2010, 21:58   #6

Yachtmaster Coastal

To be clear, although 3 of us have referred to the Coastal Skipper, it is of course the Yachtmaster Coastal we are really talking about.

Regardless of Europe or UK, if you intend to work long term on board leisure craft and want to earn a living then you need to be aspiring towards the Yachtmaster Offshore at some point. That does not mean you cant have a lot of fun on on the way as an Advanced Powerboat Cert of Competence.

On the commercial boat driving side an Adv pwr coc can earn a fair bit without having to move onto YM Offshore
Old 13 July 2010, 08:18   #7

Town: South Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by findeep View Post
for work in Europe it depends on the country and whether they accept RYA advanced powerboat. Generally the norm is Yachtmaster Offshore STCW 200 endorsed. Coastal Skipper although it is a valid qualification and can be commercially endorsed is very rarely accepted, most agencies will only accept Yachtmaster.
Some countries, Denmark & Norway, like any certificate with the word 'Skipper' in it.
They seem to prefer Day Skipper over Yachtmaster.
had this with Danish MCA last year.

Yachts suggest a 'pleasure' certificate, not commercial.
Also, get any RYA cert endorsed STCW95.
Old 13 July 2010, 13:23   #8

Town: Solent
Make: Phantom 21
Engine: Mariner 200hp V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alant1 View Post
Some countries, Denmark & Norway, like any certificate with the word 'Skipper' in it.
They seem to prefer Day Skipper over Yachtmaster.
had this with Danish MCA last year.

Yachts suggest a 'pleasure' certificate, not commercial.
I struggle to believe that you've come across an establishment that prefer you to hold Day Skipper over Yachtmaster??? All this shows is their blatant lack of knowledge of the details of the RYA scheme. I wouldn't go anywhere near a company that would employ someone with only Day Skipper to conduct charters or any kind of commercial work.

There is no particular "type" of certificate e.g. leisure or commercial. Candidates sit the exam and then have the option to commercially endorse it by having a medical done and all the relevant paperwork completed.
Old 13 July 2010, 15:31   #9
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Length: 4m +
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2488 View Post
I struggle to believe ........
nevver mynd sun.

wen yoov bin arownd a bitt an aynt sow wett beehind de eers yool sea sum straynj fings

i wunce sor a pusshmepulyew.

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2010, 15:53   #10
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
I assume that's different from the regular commercial endorsement?
Old 13 July 2010, 17:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I assume that's different from the regular commercial endorsement?
You need to get the 4 STCW95 certs, Then get the RYA to endorse them on your cert of comp. Costs about £30, even for a member.
Old 13 July 2010, 17:33   #12

Quote:
I struggle to believe that you've come across an establishment that prefer you to hold Day Skipper over Yachtmaster??? All this shows is their blatant lack of knowledge of the details of the RYA scheme. I wouldn't go anywhere near a company that would employ someone with only Day Skipper to conduct charters or any kind of commercial work.

There is no particular "type" of certificate e.g. leisure or commercial. Candidates sit the exam and then have the option to commercially endorse it by having a medical done and all the relevant paperwork completed.
The establishment was the Danish MCA!

They, sometimes like the UK MCA who are somewhat scathing about MCA Master 200GRT v RYA Master 200GRT (even if James Stevens says they are the same), were not happy with YM comm end, prefering D/Skipper.

We are talking about organisations, who consider 'commercial' mariners (fishermen, ship drivers, etc) are different to 'Yacht' masters. Skipper to them is more professional.

Its not the company hiring, but the authorities in the Country where you are working, who have to be satisfied. The phrase/term 'yachtmaster', even when commercially endorsed, means little, even if you are on a British flagged vessel when in their waters.

In Norway 2 years ago, I was questioned in Port by their CG, who even when they were shown the relevant UK MCA requirements (RYA commercially endorsed + Boatmaster tickets etc), made their own decision on manning qualifications ( this on a UK vessel) & were a hairsbreadth away from non acceptance.

Even we know that having a 'commercial endorsement' on an RYA certificate is just rubber stamping & alone is not necessarily an indication of experience or capability.
Old 13 July 2010, 19:15   #13

Quote:

Even we know that having a 'commercial endorsement' on an RYA certificate is just rubber stamping & alone is not necessarily an indication of experience or capability.
I don't agree, in the case of the yachtmaster offshore it proves
  • 2500 miles logged minimum
  • 5 passage of 60NM or more
  • 2 of those as skipper
  • passed a rigourous exam
  • has been trained in First Aid and vhf use
  • has been trained in survival techniques
  • is medically fit to go to sea

I would suggest this indicates a very particular level of experience and capability
Old 14 July 2010, 09:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
I don't agree, in the case of the yachtmaster offshore it proves
  • 2500 miles logged minimum
  • 5 passage of 60NM or more
  • 2 of those as skipper
  • passed a rigourous exam
  • has been trained in First Aid and vhf use
  • has been trained in survival techniques
  • is medically fit to go to sea

I would suggest this indicates a very particular level of experience and capability
And the commercial endorsement is not rubber stamping?

"indicates a very particular level of experience and capability"

Or can be seen as -

[*]2500 miles logged minimum[*]5 passage of 60NM or more[*]2 of those as skipper
The above, can all be self-certified
[*]is medically fit to go to sea
basic ML5 done by own GP
[*]has been trained in First Aid and vhf use[*]has been trained in survival techniques
Has been on these courses & got a completion certificate.

Maybe not, I suspect, those coming through your training establishment, but many are not quite as strict.

The MCA, perhaps for reasons above, are scathing about RYA qualifications & trying to push the 'commercial skipper' toward the Certificate of Competancy (STCW95) - MSF 4343/REV 0607.

The MCA seem not to accept that the RYA endorsement "Master of Yachts of up to 200 gt.------Valid for commercial use on vessels subject to the codes of practice issued by the MCA", even when endorsed "The certificate holder complies with STCW 95 regulations, is at the standard of their "Certificate of Competancy (STCW95) - Masters, Chief Mates and Deck officers on Commercially and Privately Operated yachts and Sail Training Vessels - Master (less than 200gt)".

Foreign authorities, are even more puzzled by them.
Old 14 July 2010, 09:43   #15

Town: Solent
Make: Phantom 21
Engine: Mariner 200hp V6
Quote:
The establishment was the Danish MCA!

They, sometimes like the UK MCA who are somewhat scathing about MCA Master 200GRT v RYA Master 200GRT (even if James Stevens says they are the same), were not happy with YM comm end, prefering D/Skipper.

We are talking about organisations, who consider 'commercial' mariners (fishermen, ship drivers, etc) are different to 'Yacht' masters. Skipper to them is more professional.

Its not the company hiring, but the authorities in the Country where you are working, who have to be satisfied. The phrase/term 'yachtmaster', even when commercially endorsed, means little, even if you are on a British flagged vessel when in their waters.

In Norway 2 years ago, I was questioned in Port by their CG, who even when they were shown the relevant UK MCA requirements (RYA commercially endorsed + Boatmaster tickets etc), made their own decision on manning qualifications ( this on a UK vessel) & were a hairsbreadth away from non acceptance.

It really wouldn't take much for the Danish MCA to look at the RYA Scheme and see that a Yachtmaster is far more experienced and qualified than a Day Skipper any day of the week! Are they really that bone idle to take what the certificate title says as gospel??? Evidently so. I can't believe for one second that they could look at the capabilities of your average Day Skipper compared to the Yachtmaster and choose to employ a lesser qualified person.
Old 14 July 2010, 15:18   #16

Quote:
It really wouldn't take much for the Danish MCA to look at the RYA Scheme and see that a Yachtmaster is far more experienced and qualified than a Day Skipper any day of the week! Are they really that bone idle to take what the certificate title says as gospel??? Evidently so. I can't believe for one second that they could look at the capabilities of your average Day Skipper compared to the Yachtmaster and choose to employ a lesser qualified person.
Feel free to liaise with them over it!

They are not bone idle, but dealing with their rules, based upon their local regs. Its up to any outsider to convince them.

Even our own UK MCA, are not keen on RYA certified, so why should denmark be any different!