Old 17 October 2011, 09:14   #1

Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
ML5 Advice

I'm in the process of Commercially Endorsing my PB2 with a view to picking up some voluntary work.

Can anyone advise what the working limitations are for this qualification?

eg. miles from Departure Point, upto how many miles offshore, longest length of trip and maximum number of passengers to be carried?

Thank you

Ian
Old 17 October 2011, 09:21   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhorace336 View Post
I'm in the process of Commercially Endorsing my PB2 with a view to picking up some voluntary work.

eg. miles from Departure Point, upto how many miles offshore, longest length of trip and maximum number of passengers to be carried?

Thank you

Ian

3 miles from NDP and up to 12 passengers, if you are working off a mothership that can be regarded as an NDP
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2011, 09:23   #3

Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhorace336 View Post

Thank you

Ian
You are limited to 3 miles from a nominated departure point. So not very far if you are operating out of Poole.
Old 17 October 2011, 09:54   #4

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
With a Powerboat Level 2 you will be restricted to MCA Category 6 which covers to sea within 3 miles from a nominated departure point(s) named in the vesels certificate and never more than 3 miles from land, in favourable weather and daylight.

You can check whether the area of operation is at "sea" by checking out Categorisation of waters MSN 1776 (M) produced by the MCA
Old 17 October 2011, 10:05   #5

Thanks Chaps!

Seems very limiting.

Am I best pushing for Adv with CofC? or is there work available in the Solent area with PB2 Endorsed?
Old 17 October 2011, 10:39   #6

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
The Commerical endorsment of the Advanced Powerboat certificate will open up many more opprotunities to you as it can be used up to Category 3 which covers up to 20 miles from a safe haven - night or day.

Along with the AP cert you must also successfully complete a separate RYA/MCA Advanced Powerboat exam.
Old 17 October 2011, 10:41   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
William,

What nobody has highlighted is that whilst the nominated departure point is usually assumed to be the jetty/slipway you leave from, if that is within categorised waters then the NDP is the edge of the categorised waters. Much of the Solent is categorised waters so a commercial PB2 could operate over quite a wide area.

Some things to think about:

- virtually anyone can get a PB2 in a weekend.
- virtually anyone can get it commercially endorsed from courses which are essentially about attendance not comprehension.
- the potential to cause harm to your passengers, even in the solent, is quite high.
- there are quite a lot of Commercial Advanced PB holders around; some people aren't that impressed with their skills, but it is definitely a higher hurdle to go through than PB2.

So:

- if you were the operator of a charter business would you choose to engage an PB2 or and Advanced PB holder?
- if you were going to engage someone you 'didn't know' would you be more or less likely to do it with someone who has the bare minimum qualifications?
- if you do find an operator who is "that desperate" for staff would you want to work for them?

That said, I think Anchorhandler said on here that some of his tug skippers were operating with PB2 tickets. However, I assume the refinery don't just hand over the keys to anyone who turns up with a certificate.
Old 17 October 2011, 10:55   #8

Polwart,

Interesting and very valuable reading, thank you.
Old 17 October 2011, 17:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
With a Powerboat Level 2 you will be restricted to MCA Category 6 which covers to sea within 3 miles from a nominated departure point(s) named in the vesels certificate and never more than 3 miles from land, in favourable weather and daylight.

You can check whether the area of operation is at "sea" by checking out Categorisation of waters MSN 1776 (M) produced by the MCA
Are you saying that A mothership can't be a nominated departure point or am I reading this wrong?
Old 17 October 2011, 21:05   #10

Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Are you saying that A mothership can't be a nominated departure point or am I reading this wrong?
Stu

The key points are that the NDP must be named on the vessel's SCV cert and the vessel can never be more than three miles from land.

Having a mothership or offshore installation (within 3 miles of shore) as a NDP is not common but is possible for cat 5 and cat 6.
Old 17 October 2011, 23:16   #11

Doug

We operate Daughtercraft and FRC.s from Motherships 150nmiles offshore the drivers of the FRC's have PB2 with comm endorsements I checked and double checked the validity of this out with the RYA certification department prior to creating the risk assesment and they said it was fine. I even sent em the details of our motherhip and the platforms co-ordinates

The 1st intervention company I worked for consulted officially with the MCA by inviting them to a HIRA meeting for an upcoming BP job and the MCA stated that motherships were to regarded as the NDP. The FRC's should be driven by holders of a powerboat two certificate and the DSV by a minimum of Advanced Ticket Holders all tickets were to be commercially endorsed and the distance retrictions applied from the Mothership

Am I to take it the RYA/MCA were in error

Stu
Old 18 October 2011, 06:46   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Stu, are your frc's coded as SCV, if not the rules doug/ribochet refer to are not relevant and presumably the manning is defined elsewhere.? out of interest do you have a "good weather and daylight" restriction on them?
Old 18 October 2011, 09:53   #13

no coding on some of the FRC but they do come with all relevant lifting gear serts . any tesring required by the Marine department of the OIL Company. Daughtercraft are coded and have load line exemption tickets but they don't get driven by PB2 only holders

Dawn till dusk restriction anf up to 2 metre seas and viz must be over 500m.

My point being is that you can still work more tha 3 miles away from land on a commerciall endorsed PB2

I;m no expert on the Subject I just do it for a living and can think of about 40 people running on PB2 and about 8 companies that employ em
Old 18 October 2011, 19:28   #14

For the purpose of the cat 6 code we were talking about then a mothership 150NM offshore CAN NOT be a NDP.
Old 18 October 2011, 21:55   #15

Town: South Coast
Length: no boat
Quote:
Doug

We operate Daughtercraft and FRC.s from Motherships 150nmiles offshore the drivers of the FRC's have PB2 with comm endorsements I checked and double checked the validity of this out with the RYA certification department prior to creating the risk assesment and they said it was fine. I even sent em the details of our motherhip and the platforms co-ordinates

The 1st intervention company I worked for consulted officially with the MCA by inviting them to a HIRA meeting for an upcoming BP job and the MCA stated that motherships were to regarded as the NDP. The FRC's should be driven by holders of a powerboat two certificate and the DSV by a minimum of Advanced Ticket Holders all tickets were to be commercially endorsed and the distance retrictions applied from the Mothership

Am I to take it the RYA/MCA were in error

Stu
If your operating 150 Nm offshore, even from a mothership, what medical certs are held, ML5 or ENG1?
Old 19 October 2011, 11:30   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
For the purpose of the cat 6 code we were talking about then a mothership 150NM offshore CAN NOT be a NDP.
Doug

I wasn't talking about any form od Coding I was telling the lad what work he could get with the ticket he wants, but if your saying it CAN NOT happen then I guess it DON'T

Alan
neither UKOG medicals formerly OPITO, the OIL industry doesn't recognise MCA medicals or survival tickets due to the extra requirement of Helicopter travels and Audiograms.
Old 19 October 2011, 19:38   #17

Quote:
Doug

I wasn't talking about any form od Coding.......
Stu

Post 9, You quoted Ribochet's paparagrph about Cat 6 Coding and asked if a mothership could be a NDP.

I replied and told you it could not if it is offshore as Cat 6 is restricetd to 3 miles offhsore. Sorry I did not realise that half way through your post you stopped talking about the cat 6 code, I must try harder to read your mind in future
Old 19 October 2011, 21:13   #18

Town: southport
your better of just doing the eng1 medical rather than ml5. same price and eng1 is good worldwide rather than ml5 is just uk
Old 19 October 2011, 23:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.tree View Post
your better of just doing the eng1 medical rather than ml5. same price and eng1 is good worldwide rather than ml5 is just uk
Well maybe but the ML5 lasts 5 yrs instead of 2 so if you don't plan to be working more then 60 NM offshore, on large vessel or overseas on non UK flagged craft then the ML5 maybe better
Old 20 October 2011, 09:13   #20

Town: southport
fair point. didnt think of the 5yrs vs 2yrs. and its not even always 2yrs. i got mine but for 1 yr