Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 October 2009, 16:05   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fife
Boat name: Tornado
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 80hp Outboard
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugandtow View Post
Doesnt have to be a dream, there are a few routes you can go the rya way and just pay for courses as you go and hope to get work or you can join the merchant navy as a trainee officer, where you will get paid http://www.careersatsea.org/, follow a 3 year course which is a mix of seatime and college time and come out an Officer of the watch which you can use anywhere or you can go the mega yacht route via Leisure Industry Nautical Cadet Scheme at UKSA http://www.uk-sail.org.uk/career/y_cadet.asp.

as someone who has been in the merchant navy for 12 years as a AB deck rating and is now working towards becoming an offcer I would say start as a cadet!!!

I've thought about going down that route....and have a few friends that have been in the merchant navy but I don't know if I can be bothered studing for more years after leaving school...I would probably rather work weekends of vessels and at nights but other times be a graphic designer or something along those lines....
__________________

__________________
severncoxswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2009, 16:13   #22
J S
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 15hp
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by severncoxswain View Post
I've thought about going down that route....and have a few friends that have been in the merchant navy but I don't know if I can be bothered studing for more years after leaving school...I would probably rather work weekends of vessels and at nights but other times be a graphic designer or something along those lines....
Thats a good idea, but you will never get to a professional level within the industry. It will always be more of a hobby. You just wont have enough time and knowledge to build up time and sea/miles to get any high level professional qualifications. Things like Commercial Yachtmaster are achievable but you won't go much further without turning it into a career. But if thats the level you want to be at, great there are loads of career opportunities at that level. The reason why it takes a few more years studying to join the MN is because there is a vast amount of knowledge needed. You can start training from 16 in the MN

James
__________________

__________________
JG Marine Services
J S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2009, 14:14   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fife
Boat name: Tornado
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 80hp Outboard
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by J S View Post
Thats a good idea, but you will never get to a professional level within the industry. It will always be more of a hobby. You just wont have enough time and knowledge to build up time and sea/miles to get any high level professional qualifications. Things like Commercial Yachtmaster are achievable but you won't go much further without turning it into a career. But if thats the level you want to be at, great there are loads of career opportunities at that level. The reason why it takes a few more years studying to join the MN is because there is a vast amount of knowledge needed. You can start training from 16 in the MN

James

I remember watching a program on STV, called The Merchant Navy.....it was about the Merchant Navy and a couple of Cadets training to be in the Merchant Navy...Sponsered by Careers at Sea.....It was quite good....
But I'm thinking about it....it's either the merchant navy for a couple of years or a graphic designer am not sure which though....what do use think???? (probably be MN though)
__________________
severncoxswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2009, 14:35   #24
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 134
what are your reasons for wanting to join the merchant navy?
__________________
Heart-trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2009, 17:19   #25
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Ireland
Make: Lodestar 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 166
Be a graphic designer mate...
Join the merchant navy & see.... not much!
__________________
Zubenelgenubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2009, 20:21   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: tayside
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: no boat
Engine: any!!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
Be a graphic designer mate...
Join the merchant navy & see.... not much!
Lol sit in an office with your thumb up your bum counting down the days till retirement or try a job that will challenge and test, with a reasonable wage and most companies are on for a 1 for 1 rota.

forget seeing the world, but you can do that as I did!, but focus on a highly professional and technical job that involves elements that havenít changed in 100s of years as well as cutting edge technology.

That STV program was good and showed the MN training routes in a good light,

what I would say is to be a 'skipper' of a small boat like a RIB involves a 2 day powerboat course, I am a RYA PB instructor and the course is S**T, or to become a Master of a MN ship several years of training and sea time!

Look at the recruitment agencies

http://www.genesis-personnel.co.uk/J...ciesMarine.htm
http://www.nuwavepersonnel.com/ etc

And look at the leave and wages and Google the type of ships

Also look at

http://www.clydemarinetraining.com/
http://www.sstg.org/

Who are cadet training companies, you can get a HND or Degree fees paid and on a wage!!

Give it a go, it you like being on boats may as well work on the big stuff!!
If you donít like it you can leave, itís not the RN!!

Also if you like yachts etc there is a cadet scheme for that as well!!
__________________
tugandtow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 October 2009, 13:21   #27
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Ireland
Make: Lodestar 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 166
I wouldnt recommend that anyone join the Merchant Navy, unfortunately the money isnt very good at all. It is an enjoyable career at the outset, however, the wages earned in comparison to available shoreside (even relatively unskilled ones) jobs quickly becomes apparent.
It is untrue to say that most companies offer a 1:1 work:leave ratio, this ratio is generally only found in the ferry & standby sector, to attain a ferry job one usually needs as a Deck Officer a Chief Mate CoC & it is very difficult to get into this sector with a lesser CoC than this, thus consigning an OOW certificated Officer to longer trips at sea, speaking generally of course. More usual ratios on offer are 3/4 months on:2 months off with a consolidated pay rate, ie no pay while you are on leave.
Regarding payment, it is a common misconception that there is big money to be made in the Merchant Mavy, the exceptions to this are far & few between unless one is in a very specialised field.
If you have a yearning to go to sea then research it fully & go in with your eyes opened!
Good luck :-)
__________________
Zubenelgenubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 October 2009, 16:20   #28
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
I wouldnt recommend that anyone join the Merchant Navy, unfortunately the money isnt very good at all. It is an enjoyable career at the outset, however, the wages earned in comparison to available shoreside (even relatively unskilled ones) jobs quickly becomes apparent.
It is untrue to say that most companies offer a 1:1 work:leave ratio, this ratio is generally only found in the ferry & standby sector, to attain a ferry job one usually needs as a Deck Officer a Chief Mate CoC & it is very difficult to get into this sector with a lesser CoC than this, thus consigning an OOW certificated Officer to longer trips at sea, speaking generally of course. More usual ratios on offer are 3/4 months on:2 months off with a consolidated pay rate, ie no pay while you are on leave.
Regarding payment, it is a common misconception that there is big money to be made in the Merchant Mavy, the exceptions to this are far & few between unless one is in a very specialised field.
If you have a yearning to go to sea then research it fully & go in with your eyes opened!
Good luck :-)
Apart from the details which are obviously MN specific - that post could be about almost any career choice. Tell a teacher that you are thinking of going into teaching and most seem determined to tell you how bad teaching is, how they don't really get all those holidays, marking to do etc, children are horrible, paperwork etc. Tell a policeman you are considering joining the force and you'll get a similar story about pay, conditions, hours, etc. Even if you say to people in jobs we often consider to be "cushy" highly respected, well paid numbers like dentists, GPs or lawyers then life is not all peachy. My conclusion is, we all like to moan about how bad our job is. We all believe that if we had just made slightly different career choices at some point we would earn twice as much, work half as hard and be four times as happy (if this applies to you - you probably wouldn't - your glass is always half empty, you'd just have a bigger empty glass!).

This is obviously full of generalisation so don't tell me you are a teacher/dentist/gp etc who loves your job feels rewarded and respected for it. I know you exist, its hugely refreshing to meet you (like tugandtow's post) perhaps you could share some of the "our lots not so bad" karma with your colleagues!

Personally I have no experience of the MN, so can't comment on the specifics. The one obvious downside is the long periods away from home, which I imagine (if I can remember that far back) seem like no big hassle/fun at 18 but at say 28 leaving a family behind are not so attractive, unless of course your JSP in which case 2 months at sea would probably be welcome peace! The total rewards package has to offset that otherwise market forces would mean that everyone left for shore jobs! I am increasingly convinced that people only measure their "compensation" package on headline salary. The wise 18 yr old will probably pay more attention to his pension...
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 07:55   #29
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fife
Boat name: Tornado
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 80hp Outboard
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
The ''wise'' 18 yr old will probably pay more attention to his pension...

I've never fully understood a pension and I don't think ''wise'' 18 yr olds do either well me being 14 I obv don't.......The MN is tax free aswell so I suppose you would notice the diffrence in the wages than if you were shore based having to pay taxes.....Leave in home for 2month sounds like a great idea....wouldn't mind that....but leavin my close friends behind that would be harder....or your girlfriend as well that would probs be the hardest thing to do.....
__________________
severncoxswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 08:32   #30
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by severncoxswain View Post
I've never fully understood a pension and I don't think ''wise'' 18 yr olds do either well me being 14 I obv don't...
aye - I've never met one that did. But the questions to ask yourself are: when do you want to retire? what lifestyle would you like when your do? But even then if I offered you 20K a year plus a fantastic persion at 60 or 25k a year and no pension - i'll bet I can guess which you would opt for!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.