Old 07 April 2005, 18:09   #21

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA
The MCA have been working closely with those organising the Trafalgar 200 celebrations and are satisfied that there is no commercial gain for those whose RIBs that are being used for marshalling, therefore there is no requirement for them to carry any statutory certification.
Excellent news. Thanks for clarifying that, Mark.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2005, 19:16   #22

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
welcome aboard Mark
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2005, 07:57   #23
MCA

Length: no boat
In response to Jono and to clarify my wording...

The Merchant Shipping (Vessels in Commercial Use for Sport or Pleasure) Regulations 1998 is the Statutory Instrument that provides the legal status of the Codes of Practice commonly referred to as the Yellow, Red and Blue Codes.

Regulation 5(4) of the above Regulations states:
"Where a vessel has been so examined and a Small Commercial Vessel certificate issued, the vessel shall not proceed, or attempt to proceed, to sea [Regulation 2(3): 'any reference in these Regulations to "proceeding to sea" includes a reference to proceeding on a voyage or excursion that does not involve going to sea'] unless:

(a) the certificate is currently in force;

(b) the vessel complies with the requirements of the relevant code of practice (including any requirements as to operation, manning and maintenance); and for this purpose any provision of the Code expressed in the conditional (i.e. "should") shall be a requirement; and

(c) the certifiate is displayed in some conspicuous place on board; or, if this is not reasonably practicable, is available for inspection on board."

I hope that clarifies the point about "should" - it means that it is a requirement under the Regulations.

Mark Towl
Marine Technician
Southampton Marine Office
Old 08 April 2005, 20:04   #24

I still don't see the point of displaying a coding sticker on one's bote and then you guys reinspecting it,,,,,,,,why not concentrate on the ones without the Sticker?
Old 11 April 2005, 10:55   #25

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I still don't see the point of displaying a coding sticker on one's bote and then you guys reinspecting it,,,,,,,,why not concentrate on the ones without the Sticker?

Bloody good point Stuart.

Surely the guys with the stickers have mad the effort.

Regards
Old 11 April 2005, 12:40   #26

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Quote:
Surely this is to check as to whether the coded boat is operating with the correct equipment as set out in the code.
Old 11 April 2005, 13:42   #27

Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Who to inspect

Quote:
Hi Stuart,

I agree that the MCA should (must? ) concentrate on non coded boats. However, once the initial inspection is complete you can go three years before your mid-term inspection is due. All sorts of stuff could go missing / out of date etc. in the meantime.

Having said that, I was boarded on a 46' cruiser last year and all they really wanted to see was the paperwork which included the insurance certificate.

I turned the inspection to our advantage with our customers telling them what the inspection was for and making the point that all was correct and that they had booked with a reputable company.

Duncan
Old 11 April 2005, 18:35   #28

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
I can't see the problem its the biggest maritime event of the year , its going to be very heavily policed by Mod, Police, QHM and the volunteers . We are the first to moan if non coded qualified ribs are operating . The way i see it you gets the boat inspected (again) you gets a sticker what ever to say so ,then when you are on the water during the event you should not have a problem. By the way local authority boats have to have an inspection every year. It gonna be a great event can't see the problem of MCA trying to make their job easier by having a up todate list of coded boats operating during the summer months and the big events at least you would hope they have a record so if they do see you out and about a quick radio call to see if you are on the list and you should be left alone Regards Tim
Old 11 April 2005, 22:08   #29

Roolz is Roolz

I don't have a problem with coded boats being checked as such, and I genuinely don't have a big beef with the MCA giving a coded boat the once over. what i do have a problem with is reinventing the wheel!

What I have a problem with is the cowboys not being checked on the water whilst the coded boats are! I mean just how many MCA vessels are gonna be on patrol 4 maybe 5 so just when do the norty boys get checked. What irritates me is the way the resouces are being deployed I don't see it as being the most effective use of manpower! Perhaps they could draft in some of the uncoded volunteer boats to check out the coded vessles on the water!

Are they gonna do house calls or do we have to go to the trouble of launching/or delivering the boat, which takes time which is money! (admittedly not a lot)

I must have a good point if Jon Brooks agrees with me!

Duncan when your boat is being coded isn't the safety eKwipments serial numbers and expiry dates recorded!
Old 12 April 2005, 09:23   #30
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
This is the case of most Government agencies unfortunately.

I used to spend lots of time looking for illegal operations but now we are told there isn't enough money in the pot to do that any more and we should regulate the exisiting "legal" operations. We now only carry out enforcement action on sites that we "discover".

Its not ideal and I'm the first to admit its not fair on the legal ones but unfortunately it will continue until there is money in the pot.

I don't think everybody here quite realises what is involved in doing stop checks, surveilance and the like. Its not like the Bill where they get into and Astra with a camcorder and start shooting! It takes a long time to set up, get permissions, find the resources etc etc etc.

Also you may find that the MCA might have to have a "reasonable suspicion" before they board a boat. Thats quite difficult to stand up in court and say "the rib next to me had eight people on it and looked comercial compared to the one on other side which had eight on board too"

Its a very difficult one to call and plus throw in the sea and all the problems that causes, well IMHO they deserve a lot of credit for what they do.
Old 12 April 2005, 09:57   #31

CJL I am not knocking the MCA i am in fact very suportive of them and I certainly am glad they are there, but I refuse to stand up and salute an activity that in my opinion is mostly redundant.

Surely the spot check requires no less setting up on a coded boat than on an uncoded boat?

I got no problem with the MCA enforcing the laws nor do I have a problem coding a boat. I have a problem with the resources not being deployed to persecute and prosecute the illegal operaters who don't care.

I think I asked a reasonable question of Mark and I would kinda appreciate an answer.

As it is I'll probably wait for a pull on the water. As Searider says you can manage the perception of your passengers quite affectively providing you pass!
Old 12 April 2005, 11:14   #32

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
I think it give the scheme more credibility and that can only be a good thing There are a lot of ‘schemes’ out there where inspections never takes place, the result being that after getting approval companies no longer bother to reach an acceptable standard
My feeling is that you should use the MCA approval more in your advertising so it becomes a customer driven requirement Although slightly different, in the past fitting seat belts in coaches was driven by customer request and it got to a point that an operator who didn’t have fitted belts lost business, if you could achieve same thing everyone would benefit Des