Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 November 2011, 11:18   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Coast
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 112
max number of persons onboard

Can anyone remind me of the appropriate MCA document, which stipulates the maximum number of persons carried on a coded vessel, including passengers + crew.

Most docs I've found, give passenger limits eg 12 & minimum crew limits, but no maximums.
__________________

__________________
alant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2011, 12:07   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 977
surely that depends on the coding/vessel size?
__________________

__________________
Starovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2011, 16:59   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bromborough, Wirral
Boat name: DeeFender
Make: Delta Phantom 11.5m
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 300hp
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 27
The maximium number of persons on a MCA coded vessel is normally determined when the vessel is first coded and all depends on stability tests as to how much weight the vessel can take and still remain with in a safe working limit. I have coded a 6m searider which was considered safe to carry 6 persons + cargo which I think totals about 900kg.
depending on the no. of persons the vessel is coded for also relates to the amount of equipment you have to carry i.e lifejackets and TPA etc.

Hope this helps
Jon Henshaw
National Marine safety and work boats
__________________
National safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2011, 17:20   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Coast
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by National safety View Post
The maximium number of persons on a MCA coded vessel is normally determined when the vessel is first coded and all depends on stability tests as to how much weight the vessel can take and still remain with in a safe working limit. I have coded a 6m searider which was considered safe to carry 6 persons + cargo which I think totals about 900kg.
depending on the no. of persons the vessel is coded for also relates to the amount of equipment you have to carry i.e lifejackets and TPA etc.

Hope this helps
Jon Henshaw
National Marine safety and work boats
If a yacht/MoBo, can carry a maximum of 12 passengers, what is the maximum (Manning regs give the minimum + qualifications) crew allowed.

There surely must be a chart showing codes against numbers.
__________________
alant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2011, 17:31   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bromborough, Wirral
Boat name: DeeFender
Make: Delta Phantom 11.5m
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 300hp
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 27
in our case on an avon searider capable of carrying 6 persons max then 2 of those persons would be the skipper and crew. The skipper would have to commercially endorsed to the level the boat is coded for ie cat 4 20 miles from a safe haven in daylight hours would have to have the required tickets to operate within these conditions. As far as I know the crew can have minium qualifications from PB2 upwards.
__________________
National safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2011, 05:18   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,894
RIBase
Alan,

As far as I am aware there is no defined maximum number of crew that the vessel can carry.

Bear in mind however the definition of crew as per section 2 of MGN280 - ""Crew" means a person employed or engaged in any capacity on-board a vessel on the business of the vessel""

Maximum number or passengers will be 12.
If the number of persons exceeds 15 a stability book is required.

You can't call a passenger "crew"!
__________________
Searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2011, 04:55   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Coast
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
Alan,

As far as I am aware there is no defined maximum number of crew that the vessel can carry.

Bear in mind however the definition of crew as per section 2 of MGN280 - ""Crew" means a person employed or engaged in any capacity on-board a vessel on the business of the vessel""

Maximum number or passengers will be 12.
If the number of persons exceeds 15 a stability book is required.

You can't call a passenger "crew"!
Can you point to the specific info regarding 15+ pls.
__________________
alant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2011, 05:33   #8
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by alant1 View Post
Can you point to the specific info regarding 15+ pls.
If you search the electronic version mgn280 you'll see various mentions of specific requirements for vessels carrying 16 or more people. Likewise if you search for "stability information booklet".
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2011, 00:06   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Weymouth
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 245
12 passengers And 8 crew is theoretically possible as long as appropriate LSA is present and a stability book is also onboard.
__________________
I went alongside the carrier, I survived and didnt even get shot at!!!
hobbit555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2011, 12:54   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Achnasheen
Boat name: b-pacific
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: inboard
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19
Sorry to come into this a bit late, but I thought number of crew was a minimum based on manning requirements, but the number of persons in total is clearly laid out in the coding certificate. So a boat coded for 6 can only carry 6 people be it 6 crew or 1 crew and 5 passengers.
Also I didn't realise until recently, a cat 4 vessel cannot be skippered on a L2 PB certificate
__________________

__________________
b-pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.