Old 14 August 2012, 14:07   #21

Town: NIce
Length: 10m +
master 200 notes

hi!

finally i ve found interesting conversation. Im going to upgrade YM Offshore to master 200. Just ordered Macneil’s Seamanship Examiner MATES/MASTERS Pocket Book. Any chance that someone could post me notes as well so i will be prepared before flying to uk for oral prep/exam???
Thanks in advance !

Regards
Luka
Old 14 August 2012, 15:43   #22

Town: Brighton
Hi Luca

I would suggest ordering these books, not cheap if bought at once but if you absorb all they contain then you are very well informed for the exam, particularly the first two.

Good luck!

Will

Chamber of Shipping Bridge Procedures Guide

A guide to the collision avoidance rules (AN Cockcroft and JNF Lameijer) - this this book is whole answer to the Colregs - it provides legal rulings by judges on nearly every rule.

Seamanship notes by Witherbys Publishing

The seamanship examiner for STCW certification exaninations - david house. There is also a CD with this with a brilliant simulator and some really good Rule 19 WOA plot demos

Reeds Superyacht Manual - this has the everything you need to know in it - i took it everywhere for months before.

International Code of Signals - knowledge of the code flags and as much morse as you can remember is essential

Chart 5011
Old 15 August 2012, 15:38   #23

Hi Will!
you mean if i learn from this books its sufficient to pass? without oral prep? than it will be definitely worth it as oral prep costs over 700 pounds....
Old 15 August 2012, 17:51   #24

Town: eastbourne
Boat name: N/A
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
I know the Oral prep is expensive but I think the Oral prep can install a lot of knowledge, and you should also read the books above as well to give you the best chance of passing. Make sure you study Radar and the W.O.A triangle sufficiently and rule 19 (you will be tested on these) here are a couple of good links I found before my Exam, one you can print off Radar plotting sheets and practice basic plots as well as more advanced ones SeamanshipTutor.Com the other website gives you some examples of questions asked in MCA Orals MCA Oral Exams sent to me by Candidates

PM me with your Email if you want me to send you a couple of more things that may help you.

Good luck!
Old 15 August 2012, 17:56   #25

Town: Brighton
I am certainly no expert as I have only taken two orals, one MCA and one RYA Ocean Powermaster!

What I would say is that those books certainly contain all the facts that you need but the oral prep was very handy for practising a confident delivery of the answers and I am told this is equally important.

Also depending on whether or not you have any experience on the bridge of a larger commercial ship will help decide whether you need the prep course. This is because the M200 is a massive step up from the RYA YM and all the questions are focussed on bigger ships than most YM people have sailed on. I guess it all depends how confident you are and what experiences you have had.

I managed to sail for a week as a supernumerary crew member on a larger ship a few weeks before the prep course which was a great help in getting my head in the right place. The crew went through loads of drills for my benefit and it was just really handy to get back up to speed on the bridge procedures etc etc.
Old 24 September 2012, 20:22   #26

Thank you for replying. Unfortunately I dont have experience on larger vessels. ...in 2007 i was on 82 meters but as deckhand so no experience regarding subject. I spend last 3 years on 21m motor boat - of course using radar and all other navigation instruments that you find on that size of boat.
My plan is to learn as much as i can on my own and make some more research on how exam looks so I can judge if I can make it. I think its worth trying..
I will just need someone to help with radar - that cant be found in books. Will you have written that WOA is well presented on this CD from David House book so i will go for it.
thanks again !! every piece of information is precious
Old 24 September 2012, 20:32   #27

Thank you for replying. Unfortunately I dont have experience on larger vessels. ...in 2007 i was on 82 meters but as deckhand so no experience regarding subject. I spend last 3 years on 21m motor boat - of course using radar and all other navigation instruments that you find on that size of boat.
My plan is to learn as much as i can on my own and make some more research on how exam looks so I can judge if I can make it. I think its worth trying..
I will just need someone to help with radar - that cant be found in books. Will you have written that WOA is well presented on this CD from David House book so i will go for it.
thanks again !! every piece of information is precious
Old 26 September 2012, 06:38   #28

Town: Hoylake, Wirral
Boat name: no name
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
MMSI: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will75 View Post
so if you have an OOW 3000 they give you the M200 but if you have the much higher OOW unlimited you have to take an oral to get the M200?

Bonkers!
It seems to be that way but if I may point out that for OOW (Unlimited) there is no Business & Law taught or examined but for OOW (Yacht) <3000gt there is B & L included in the oral syllabus.

I have seen many people with OOW(U) who have done Oral Prep and passed Master (Code Vessel) <200gt and who have told me that the oral was as tough as their OOW (U) exam!