Old 23 February 2006, 19:56   #21
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
I agree with the comments above.

You'll also find that certain RIB manufacturers are begining to do this anyway. I know of at least two manufacturers who are creating simpler packages for the leisure market - basically you chose the size and one of 4 colours and the rest it standard. There are also lots of dealers who will get you fully sorted with kit and boat storage etc when you buy the boat.
Old 23 February 2006, 20:32   #22

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
The ride of your life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker
The message is that you, 40+ affluent bloke with wife and two teenagers, can simply acquire and own an amazing yet safe boat for an outlay of £10,000 cash down, and a monthly tariff of an estimated £1,000 all in (including financing repayments and interest, insurance, hard standing storage costs, launching and fuel), you can have a safe and fun boat expereince.

Any thoughts? Have I gone mad?
You could run a damn fine mistress for that kind of money.

my Scorp which was financed over three years and always Marina berthed/ stored ran me 420 a month inc repayments plus fuel and I felt that was rather a result. I guess if I was an afluent punter then I could be persuaded to go with a commitment of a grand a month if the boat did it for me.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2006, 20:51   #23

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Bruce

back to the drawing board I suspect, come back with option 2 tomorrow and we will critique it for you

i think your best option is to see what punters would want, start with people who have just recently purchased ribs and ask what they wanted, what they would have liked, why they chose what they did, what was not available that they would have liked, was it easy to purchase or would your idea appeal to them.

might be a good place to start!!
Old 23 February 2006, 21:17   #24

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
You could run a damn fine mistress for that kind of money.
Could?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2006, 21:50   #25

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Could?
...and see how much trouble THAT got you into it
Old 23 February 2006, 21:53   #26

Old 24 February 2006, 07:42   #27

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Interesting Thread

I might be wrong (usually am) but i seem to remember reading an article in one of the magazines about a similar concept. You join a club pay £600 ish a month and have at your disposal a Ribeye not sure of size guess it relates to your membership. All thing like Training Mooring Fees Insurance Included. Rental potential to owners of good quality ribs could be big . I would look at it from this angle Bruce you get say twenty quality ribs coded and insured for purpose on your books to hire to potential clients = earnings for the owners . You sell the Idea (Club Idea)to magazines and earn commission from sales of training from various schools as broadens client options, sale of Insurance and sale of hire and moorings.And owners pay you a joining fee to have their boat on your books.
Membership could be on a sliding scale as to what boat you get Gold Member a Scorpion Silver a so and so Bronze a so and so. You also make as you have a good boat in Far fetched and the side issue is any potential buyers of a rib you sort out the deal and get paid a further commission. The leg work and time consuming bit would be having to inspect every boat for quality check insurances and so on .
Just some rambling stuff from me I think you are sort of on the right track just need to develop it further.
Best place is here as you have a huge list of potential hirers from various locations around the country.
Good luck with it.
Old 24 February 2006, 08:07   #28

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
sounds a bit more promising - figures make a bit more sense at that kind of money - at £10k down and a £1k pcm investment you'd want to own rather than rent I would have thought...
Old 24 February 2006, 08:24   #29

A further development could be membership allows you to use ribs in different areas example I live in London this weekend i cruise in Wales next the Solent and so on how you manage it is down to you. As an alternative to buying, it could work if pitched at the market you want as allows a vast variety of craft to play on for you membership and a huge cruising area.Just another rambling.

Over to you Bruce
Old 24 February 2006, 12:42   #30

Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Why not consider RibShack - Ribshack

Offers all the benefits of rib ownership but with a turnkey soloution. I think that for 25% share in a 6.5 metre its around £265 a month.
Old 24 February 2006, 16:11   #31

Aha I knew I had heard of someone doing something like this .
Well done Dave not much gets past you does it mate.
Old 24 February 2006, 17:34   #32

Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
Aha I knew I had heard of someone doing something like this .
Well done Dave not much gets past you does it mate.
Not when we are their official training partner - no!
Old 27 February 2006, 07:53   #33

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Thank you for the thoughts. I really appreciate this input. A return to the drawing board is always worthwhile - better to do it now than once I have ordered 10 RIBs!!!!

Ok, here goes:

Hugh Jardon: "who is going to pay 1k or 1.5k per month? and for how long?"

Well, finance will roll off in 3 years in my model. But this cost number INCLUDES everything including berthing, fuel etc - not beer!

I pay £450 to cover my car including finance without thinking, and a further £200 for a garage, and I pay fuel and service......

Donutsina: "I would be surprised if the type of person with that kind of disposable income didnt just do some research on the net, visit a few dealers, test a few boats and buy a custom built rib at lets say £35000, pay £250 for some training at their nearest provider, another £500 quid for insurance and cough up a couple of grand a year for a marina berth of their choice. "

I wouldn't. I know of many people who could not be assed to do the work,l so that is a REAL barrier to them considering ant boat at all. And it is a huge hassle to select and have built a boat of choice. It took me six plus months....
and I made mistakes in my detail choices. Loads of fun - if you have the time and interest and are willing to forgo instant gratification.

"With a car analogy, at the £35k mark, you're looking at say a BMW 5 Series or Merc E Class. Would your average personal or fleet purchaser still opt for one if it only came in one colour, with a 2 ltre petrol engine, a minidisc player, grey leather and you had to insure it with the AA?"

I think this was closer to the situation which prevailed 15 years ago in car purchasing! Would nayone buy a BMW if you had to read RibNet to find out how to choose the right tyres or how to find a replacement wing mirror when yours was damaged?

DJL: "I know of at least two manufacturers who are creating simpler packages for the leisure market - basically you chose the size and one of 4 colours and the rest it standard. There are also lots of dealers who will get you fully sorted with kit and boat storage etc when you buy the boat."

Yes, I think I am talking to them. But not, I believe, a fully equipped 6.5M beast, and not covering all the angles. This is really aimed at the 'lazy' and 'uneducated' instant gratification buyer. Am I wrong - is it possible for a newbie to walk in and buy a 6.5M package including storage etc. From whom? What price?

Rogue Wave: this is a premium product for the affluent punter. £1k a month is fine - you can do it cheaper, but that is not the issue. The issue is ease and accessibility.

Hugh Jardon: "i think your best option is to see what punters would want, start with people who have just recently purchased ribs and ask what they wanted, what they would have liked, why they chose what they did, what was not available that they would have liked, was it easy to purchase or would your idea appeal to them."

Great idea. Stolen. See new thread.

Tim Griffin: I think the club idea has some merit, but it has not, as far as I know, really taken on. I think people dislike the concept of timeshare! I after owners.

I like Ribshack's idea and website, but there is an inflexibility there. If the forecast is good on Thursday - sod it, book a B and B in Lyndhurst, be on the boat 9am Saturday.....

Perhaps I should talk to them. Who is the key contact? Can somone introduce me?

Thanks

Bruce
Old 27 February 2006, 10:38   #34

I don't know ribshack, but I do know this chap who appears to be stockpiling Solent RIBs:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/YOR158/

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/YOR144/

Not so much the package approach as a "box shifter"?
Old 27 February 2006, 11:42   #35

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
I know of many people who could not be assed to do the work,l so that is a REAL barrier to them considering ant boat at all. And it is a huge hassle to select and have built a boat of choice. It took me six plus months....
I think Donuts' car analogy is highly apt and you dismiss it at your peril, Bruce. If you are in the slightest doubt about people with high disposable incomes being arsed to do the leg work, then I would refer you to the Aston Martin Owners' forum, huge tracts of which are devoted to earnest and heated debate amongst soon-to-be DB9 owners about the colour of their interior headlining trim, whether they, as a non-smoker, should specify the smokers' pack because it includes a pure crystal ashtray, or, and I kid you not, whether they should specify fine or coarse stitching in the seat leather!!

The accessibility of the internet these days actively encourages people to research topics such as we're discussing (just ask Codders ) and most view it as anything but a hassle. Having been party to your abnormally protracted provarications regarding the speccing of your RIB, I can nevertheless understand how you personally might view it as a hassle and time consuming endeavour, though
Old 27 February 2006, 14:44   #36
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
I am a highly expereinced marketer / salesman

i amm verry imprest wiv broocys vc. obviusly a topp profeshunul inn iz chozen trayd . ifn ifn hee wonts too joyn de bote trayd hee cann werk forr mee in a verry impawtunt manijment pozishun

wee nead sum nobbur too sweap de yarrd

mynd yew i noe ow gud hee iz att Braykin fings soe hee cann brinng iz owen brewm.

de wan weev gott weev ad tenn yeers an orl itts neadid iz forr noo hedds an threee noo handuls

gaRF
Old 27 February 2006, 21:54   #37

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
I liked both Phil's and Garfish's comments for entirely diffrent reasons

I would not ignore the fact that for some wealthy people, the research and inevitable delving into minutiae is part of the fun of the chase. For others it most emphatically is not . The only question is how many seriously wealthy (£100,000 plus disposable cash players) would be interested in a boat which is easy fun and safe to use without any associated hassle at all??

And would they be on this forum if they were my target audience
Old 27 February 2006, 22:48   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garfish

gaRF
I thought you promised me that job, I wuz cownting on that!
Old 27 February 2006, 22:54   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garfish

gaRF
I thought you promised me that job, I wuz cownting on that!