Old 25 March 2008, 20:22   #1

Town: Margate
Make: Between Boats
Length: no boat
Looking for a change!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am wondering if anyone on here can help me and maybe point me in the right direction for working with boats.
I am just about to reach 40 and with my life (in job terms) in a rut I am looking to change.

I live in East Kent and was employed in the aircraft industry since leaving school. I attained the position of Operations Manager and even passed a Masters level post graduate diploma in management studies, but unfortunately I was made redundant. To stay in the aircraft industry I would need to move and with a relatively young family we have made our home here.

I have had a couple of jobs since but they are office based and are extremely boring and not me, I like to be out and about. I have run my own part time rib repair business for a few years (John, I only wrote this bit so people get a better picture of me, I don't write it to advertise, so hopefully it is ok). I have a Powerboat Level 2 and I am looking to get it commercially endorsed.
I would like to hear from you operators as to what you think my future holds and maybe some hints on the way to go.

Unfortunately recently my time out in the water has been very limited due to work and the need to sell my last boat. I would like to get some time on the water so any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated, maybe volenteer work or helping crew some boats, I am open to suggestions to get more experience.

Sorry to go on but I cannot bear sitting looking at another computer screen all day in a very, very quiet office.

Thanks for any help.
Old 25 March 2008, 20:45   #2

Town: East Sussex
Boat name: Bfor
Make: Jeanneau
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 3gm30
There are many on here better equipped to answer than I am but here goes:-

Firstly - you dont say if its a PB2 or an Advanced Powerboat. If its basic then you are only allowed 3 miles from port!
To get it endorsed you need the following:-
a) ML5 Medical
b) Sea Survival Certificate
c) First Aid Cert
d) VHF Cert

Because of the 3 mile rule - pretty much the only place this is useful is the Solent.

You can see most of this using this link here.

I get thoroughly confused about the rules governing the commercial endorsement to "Advanced" but presently you cannot get an Advanced Course Completion Certificate endorsed. You need to take another exam before you can have the Advanced Commercial Endorsement. If you had the Course Completion Certificate before Jan 2005 then it can be Commercially Endorsed. Easy eh?

However, with Advanced you are allowed 20 miles, so its more usable.

Have a look at the application form here.

There is work for PB2 Commercials - I could have worked all of last summer but chose to restrict it to a couple of days every week as I am a generation older than you, and I didnt fancy 7 days on the trot at 30 knots in a Rib around the Solent.

I do think its a tough way to make a living from a financial viewpoint. That doesnt worry me now, but at your age I couldnt have considered it as I had kids at School/College etc.

Good luck anyway whatever you do!
Old 25 March 2008, 21:04   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Peter - there is no such thing as Advanced PB2 The original post says he has a Powerboat Level 2 certificate - that it the correct name for what you are presumably calling "a basic PB2".

I'm also not sure what you think is wrong on the RYA website... ...as I understood it there was a date cut off for the exact commercial endorsement process used - but it says that.
Old 25 March 2008, 21:05   #4

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
I have a very similar background to yourself and I made a change 25 years ago ( so I am a lot older than you). Do you have an engineering qualification? how old are you? You are not going to earn an income that you are used to in the boating industry unless you start you own business and that will need some capital and a couple of years. Happy to help, shoot me some questions.
I used to work for Choride (Exide) as a Operations Director, in Southampton, and have a Diploma in Industrial Management. Maybe I can help. As, I am sure you already know your reluctance to move is a constraint.
Regards. T.
Old 26 March 2008, 10:31   #5

Many thanks for your responses.

I worked mainly in aircraft components, specifically servicing escape slides, liferafts, lifejackets, oxygen cylinders, for passenger aircraft then moved on to Operations Manager to cover this but also wheels & brakes, avionics etc.

The money side is not the most important thing to me, quality is. I understand the grass isn't always greener but I would like to be out and about and enjoying work rather than sitting at a screen all day.

I know I said I didn't want to move but to be honest if we had to we would, My wife and I had a long discussion about moving especially abroad, Linda do you have any regrets?????

I am open to any ideas.

Thanks again
Old 26 March 2008, 14:39   #6

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Forget driving a boat for someone else, pay is rubbish and you will have to work all ove the UK to scratch a living. There are plenty of students on £70 a day to do that.

With your back ground I would consider starting a liferaft servicing centre or at least check out where the nearest is to you and see if there is a gap in the market.

Had mine done by Mayday Marine in January. They probably had 50 liferafts in for servicing at the time and at £200 a time for a couple of hours work looks a good turnover.

Pete
Old 26 March 2008, 16:29   #7

Thanks Pete

I spoke to the MCA about working with commercial operators and getting SOLAS approval. I must say the MCA were brilliant, sending me all the information I needed and spending time on the telephone going through things, BUT, with the liferaft manufaturers it was a different story, it appears to be very much a closed shop. In order to get approval from the MCA I need training from the manufacturers, servicing manuals, spares etc. I spoke to Avon, RFD, Zodiac and some others who all would either not return phone calls, e-mails or just tell me they were not looking for anyone else to be approved and referred me to their nearest agent.

Working with liferafts of all sizes and desriptions for 20 years and attending a US-DOT course every 2 years to allow me to hydrostatic test cylinders it is something I enjoy.
Also speaking to operators in Ramsgate and Dover they have to send their liferafts miles to get them serviced where I was going to offer a pick up and delivery service as well.

All very frustrating!!!!!
Old 27 March 2008, 12:48   #8

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxboy View Post
All very frustrating!!!!!
Especially as the nearest Avon service station is Dover.

Okay business plan two then, you're going into the winch and steering business, which once established would lead on nicely to liferafts etc because you are in the trade then. Have a good look at the Lewmar website and this:

http://www.moa.myzen.co.uk/discus/me...tml?1206618453

Pete
Old 27 March 2008, 13:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Especially as the nearest Avon service station is Dover.
The Avon dealer in Dover only repair boats and this is more of a sideline and is not their core business. The nearest SOLAS approved liferaft repair centre is Seaweather at Dartford.

I will look at the Lewmar website.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 27 March 2008, 21:48   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
whem I was an IY service delivery ,amager (and a fkkm good one at that} I got paid a lot bigger bucks the I do as a boat driver, it was also a lot safer and if i fell over and broke an arm people didn't expect me to work the next morning. do don't let th e romance fool you in to making a wrong move. I'm beginning to see some results now but it's taken years and a lot of hardship so think carefuly before you loathe that PC screen too much. I get big buckz in the north sea but it's a million miles from home anfd i go away for 2 up to months at a time which puts a haly too all the other little eatners I generate so boat deiving is not too clever and idea to basee your future on.

The idea of liferaft servicing soyunds much more sensible and might i suggest tou talk too Ocean Safety about becoming a sub agent. Charlies is your man to speak to. also contactthe life jacket manufacturers and ask them how you become a service guy.

i
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2008, 07:47   #11
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
. . . looks like you've dunked your keyboard in the briney again too!

John
Old 28 March 2008, 09:34   #12

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Oxboy, Sorry I cant help you with your answer – but I am in the same shoes.. Been in an office for the past 8 years (I know its not that long) but it’s a boring life, same computer screens, same people… I do have a weekend job on the water providing safety cover and also teaching some level 2’s and I think that’s one of the main things that’s making me want to get out of the office life!

I have my Level 2, PBI, a ML5, Sea Survival, First Aid, VHF and I am looking at getting my day skipper this year and my boat masters, and ideally before the end of the year my Intermediate PB – Then in the next few years moving to a on the water full time job.

The only thing I have noticed in looking at what’s out there is that you need to be very high in the industry to make any real money to support a family – but the way of life is far superior.

Good Luck!
Old 28 March 2008, 12:24   #13

Town: East Sussex
Boat name: Bfor
Make: Jeanneau
Engine: Yanmar 3gm30
I honestly think it all comes down to money for Oxboy if he wants a job "on the water".

The harsh truth is as follows:-

a) In the UK there will be several months of the year when you cannot get out on the water at all. So that means no income if you are self-employed and dependant on skippering/instructing for a living.

b) As and when you do get out in the nicer months, you will do well to get £100 for each day you work.

And its not as if there are big bucks on offer from Sailing Schools as permanent employees. Most adverts I see for instructors are with salaries below £20k.

But - I have to say that getting the Instructor and Yachtmaster Commercial rating was probably the best thing I have ever done from a point of view of getting enjoyable part-time employment!!

There's the rub...........
Old 28 March 2008, 12:44   #14

Steve
You will know exactly what I am going through, good luck on your escape!!!!!!!!

I think I am going to persevere with the liferaft and lifejacket servicing & rib repairs and really hassle the manufacturers and repair agents.

Thanks for all your advice
Old 28 March 2008, 13:49   #15
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
. . . looks like you've dunked your keyboard in the briney again too!

mor lyke hee az dunkt dat worlnut hee corls a brayn inn cheep syder. hee gott pist wen dem welch ruggby twatts wun de trippul wammy an de grannd slamm an fel in belfastt arber soe hee didd.

gArf
Old 28 March 2008, 14:44   #16

Town: Alderney
Working with water

Sorry not to have weighed in on this thread before...

I run a small mail order chandlery and repair business in Manston, so I reckon we need to get together for a beer at some point! Aside from Malthouse I am also working on a couple of other marine related endeavors, none of which will provide work but many of which might produce some interesting angles for you.

If you do want to go down the liferaft servicing route I am certain I can help.

I would also give Jon Brooks a shout as he has more connections that an octopus in a telephone exchange!

Let me know,
Martin
Old 29 March 2008, 16:35   #17

Malthouse

The Jolly Farmer is a good pub, how abour a pint there sometime?????
Old 29 March 2008, 16:37   #18

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxboy View Post
Malthouse

The Jolly Farmer is a good pub, how abour a pint there sometime?????
An excellent idea, I shall PM you my details.

Old 29 March 2008, 23:19   #19

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Listen to Rogue Wave's advice, read his post over and over again. It's a 'kin hard life in the marine industry. Just keep to the 9-5 and play with it when you want to.

Why ruin a hobby by turning it into profession?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2008, 10:41   #20

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Hi Ox,

We are based in Ramsgate, all of my cox's are advance powerboat with comercial endorsement, this would be what most would look for or Yachtmaster.

As already said pay is not great.

Most that work for me do it because they love to be on the water and are either at uni or do it part time.

Local liferaft and jacket servicing would be a good place and area to get into.
As Rouge said speak to Charlie Mill at Ocean Safety, top bloke and have work with him for many years. We use only their kit.

A beer with Martin is always a good start and if he is very on the ball and go getting, if only more chandleries were like that. Jolly is good but the Bell Vue at Pegwell is better.......Spitfire on draught!!!!

All the best.