Old 04 May 2014, 08:29   #21

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
The official line in the small print

MGN 280 page 42 section 7.5.4

All inflatable boats, boats fitted with a buoyant collar, and open boats that achieve planing speed, when fitted with remote throttle controls, should be fitted with a kill-cord, to be used at all times during navigation.

Our cabin boats operate with outboards, we have a kill cord and could in effect use it at all times. The guys driving do like the freedom to move and stretch. It is the close manoeuvring stuff and at all times which causes the issues particularly in the work we do. Yes we could get longer kill cords but we don't want to complicate this issue.

The question for those who survey is remote control throttles. I don't have a definition but I see little difference between the throttles on my boats to those of local diesel cabin RIBs operating commercially.

So all those cabin RIBs (boats fitted with a buoyant collar) that are using diesels without the kill cord should in effect not be coded. Clearly stated under MGN280. Anyone prepared to take up the case or explain why these boats should be exempt?

Just looking for a level playing field which is applied fairly across the board as per stated regulations. Over to those who build, operate or code diesel cabin RIBs.

There are many commercial hard boats using diesels which achieve planing speeds and no kill cord fitted.

I still believe common sense says you can't fall out of a cabin RIB.

Tony
Old 19 May 2014, 21:32   #22

Town: North East Scotland
Boat name: Redbay 10
Make: Redbay
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin Yam inb 165hp
Tony,

As you know we run a number of cabin ribs which we utilise for offshore diving mainly in the North Sea. Whilst these boats are coded and come with all the appropriate safety equipment which would be deemed as standard for our operations the overriding element which ascertains what should or should not be required is always determined through a properly conducted risk assessment. As I'm sure you are aware -

"A risk assessment is an important step in protecting your workers and your business, as well as complying with the law. It helps you focus on the risks that really matter in your workplace – the ones with the potential to cause harm. In many instances, straightforward measures can readily control risks, For most, that means simple, cheap and effective measures to ensure your most valuable asset – your workforce – is protected."

Whilst this doesn't answer the question you posed I think it will be answered once you have carried out a detail RA.

Hope this helps.
Old 20 May 2014, 07:51   #23

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
I would have thought anything you can get flung out of should have a cord, mind you I know a guy who got ejected from his fly bridge

Tags
rib