Old 13 March 2018, 15:06   #1

Town: Bordeaux
Length: no boat
Just a introduction

Hey Ribbers !

Hope this is the right place to post this thread and if it is not, I'll remove this post. As this is the commercial section of Ribnet, I just wanted to make a small introduction of my company and have your point of view.

I work at Samboat, a marketplace for both peer-to-peer and professional RIB rentals. Think of us as the Airbnb for boats.

Many companies exists in this market and most of them are doing great. In late 2017, Forbes named us "World leader", yoohoo ! Money speaking, $35 million in booking requests was handled in 2017 by Samboat.

Anyway, however the last 3 years we've been focusing on the French and Med market. This year however, we are expanding globally ! Historically, Samboat was only open for peer-to-peer rentals. We made a change in November and opened our platform to every professional.

I would love to have your opinion as a commercial operators. Would you put your RIB for rent in such a marketplace ? What are your point of view about this kind of company ?

Cheers
Old 13 March 2018, 20:08   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaseagull View Post
I would love to have your opinion as a commercial operators. Would you put your RIB for rent in such a marketplace ? What are your point of view about this kind of company ?
I'd offer my very particular set of skills charter operation in any marketplace that I felt would bring a return. I wouldn't "swap" my RIB unless it was for a (much needed) kidney. Interesting business concept you have there! If you are thinking of promoting it on RIBnet then you should carefully read our "terms & conditions" governing Commercial (trade) Posting here: http://www.rib.net/forum/f31/ribnet-...ers-18835.html
Old 15 March 2018, 13:57   #3

Town: Bordeaux
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'd offer my very particular set of skills charter operation in any marketplace that I felt would bring a return. I wouldn't "swap" my RIB unless it was for a (much needed) kidney. Interesting business concept you have there! If you are thinking of promoting it on RIBnet then you should carefully read our "terms & conditions" governing Commercial (trade) Posting here: http://www.rib.net/forum/f31/ribnet-...ers-18835.html
Thanks for your feedback Willk and for the terms and condtions avoir Commercial Posting. Definitely gonna subscribe.

Actually, regarding your comment this is exactly how Samboat started. We noticed that most of the RIB and sailboats are used 15 days / year. Basically, people were loosing money with it. This business concept allows every captain to bring a return.
Old 15 March 2018, 14:31   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaseagull View Post
Historically, Samboat was only open for peer-to-peer rentals. We made a change in November and opened our platform to every professional.

I suspect that in the UK and Ireland, all rental is classed as Commercial, and as such, all boats so rented would require Coding - at least for use "at sea".
Old 16 March 2018, 13:27   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I suspect that in the UK and Ireland, all rental is classed as Commercial, and as such, all boats so rented would require Coding - at least for use "at sea".

And renting not “at sea” means you’d potentially have local authority licensing to contend with.
Old 16 March 2018, 14:10   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
And renting not “at sea” means you’d potentially have local authority licensing to contend with.
Whatever DID happen to Pedalo Swan Lady then?
Old 17 March 2018, 06:59   #7

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Length: 5m +
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
I have been told that in Greece "RENT RIB business" can't offers RIB owned by private person. It have to be their (this "Rent RIB") company asset.

Or they can offer other "rent rib" companies boats.
So I can't imagine how it can be like AIRBNB in Greece.

If such business allows people to rent boat for reasonable price it's OK with me. But I do prefer local companies who can help just in case (Rent RIB business have to has service boat) or replace boat.
Old 17 March 2018, 11:01   #8

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
As has been said, I suspect coding/insurance issues will play havoc with anyone wanting to "lend" their boat in return for money/reward.

I note that even people wanting to airbnb their moored yachts in marinas are now being looked at for coding requirements.

Probably OK in the rest of Europe as we are the only ones that follow the rules
Old 17 March 2018, 11:07   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
The Jobsworths will be forming an orderly line!
Old 17 March 2018, 22:58   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post

You mean our own rules? The ones in the UK merchant shipping act? A piece of legislation that originally goes back to 1894 to protect the safety of mariners and the public?
Old 18 March 2018, 08:43   #11

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
You mean our own rules? The ones in the UK merchant shipping act? A piece of legislation that originally goes back to 1894 to protect the safety of mariners and the public?
Exactly my point Poly. We have rules to keep us all safe and through education and enforcement generally follow those rules. Other countries it appears have a more relaxed approach to the leisure industry.