Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06 March 2011, 16:11   #1
Country: UK - England
Town: Hythe
Boat name: BBQ
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 40
MMSI: 235080184
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 81
Help with coding requirements

Hi all

I have been searching the threads and seem to be getting confused and not really finding the definitive answer, holding someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a boat and often take a couple of friends out for fishing trips into the channel. They contribute to the running costs of the fuel and often bung a bit in for the mooring fees, the odd 20 here and there. This agreement I have no doubt does not require any formal coding or licensing as it is simply fiends using a boat.

We have been talking with others in the local area who would also like me to take them out for fishing trips.

I understand that to do this as a commercial boat charging for a service I need to be coded etc.. Don't have an issue with this as I do not want to run a business out of it.

It has been bantered about that if we started a fishing club and providing the boat was transferred into the ownership of the club and only used for it's members and not making a profit the boat would not have to be coded. we would then be able to take the others without it being commercial as a club boat.

The boat will take four adults comfortably and has very little room for large items such as life rafts, but does carry Most all other safety equipment. It had life jackets that i insist are worn, has dsc radio, flairs, bailers etc..I understand that the coding procedure could prove to be quite expensive, and as the boat only goes a few hundred yards out to see, manly river and estuary use, is coding in this instance necessary.

Look forward to your comments.

Glenn collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2011, 18:35   #2
Doug Stormforce's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: Valiant 750 & XS600
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150, 115 HP
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,031

If it is a genuine club then coding is not required.

Club aside if you are only going a few miles from your departure point it would be worth looking at local authority licensing instead.
web -
email -
tel - 02380 231122
Doug Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:52.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.