Town: Hythe
Boat name: BBQ
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 40
MMSI: 235080184
Help with coding requirements

Hi all

I have been searching the threads and seem to be getting confused and not really finding the definitive answer, holding someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a boat and often take a couple of friends out for fishing trips into the channel. They contribute to the running costs of the fuel and often bung a bit in for the mooring fees, the odd £20 here and there. This agreement I have no doubt does not require any formal coding or licensing as it is simply fiends using a boat.

We have been talking with others in the local area who would also like me to take them out for fishing trips.

I understand that to do this as a commercial boat charging for a service I need to be coded etc.. Don't have an issue with this as I do not want to run a business out of it.

It has been bantered about that if we started a fishing club and providing the boat was transferred into the ownership of the club and only used for it's members and not making a profit the boat would not have to be coded. we would then be able to take the others without it being commercial as a club boat.

The boat will take four adults comfortably and has very little room for large items such as life rafts, but does carry Most all other safety equipment. It had life jackets that i insist are worn, has dsc radio, flairs, bailers etc..I understand that the coding procedure could prove to be quite expensive, and as the boat only goes a few hundred yards out to see, manly river and estuary use, is coding in this instance necessary.

Look forward to your comments.
Old 06 March 2011, 23:35   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Glenn

If it is a genuine club then coding is not required.

Club aside if you are only going a few miles from your departure point it would be worth looking at local authority licensing instead.