Old 31 May 2004, 23:57   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Freeboard

I am having a Rib coded and the surveyor has told me he expects to see 300 mm of Freeboard and 250 mm at the transom. Now I am presuming that the Gunwhale on a rib is at the top of the tubes so the sides are OK but the transom is much lower than 250 .

I have been looking at a lot of other ribs and I can't see any of them meeting this spec. I also don't understand why this is required !
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2004, 06:23   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Stu, I think you will find the coding agencies have some discresion here, afterall an Atlantic 21 doesn't have a transom above deck height and no one is going to argue that they are not sea worthy.

Alternatively you could raise the transom with a fillet and use an extra long engine.

Pete
Old 01 June 2004, 09:56   #3

Thanks Pete, i am gonna have to argue it out

We have already had a strange conversation where he requested I supply scales with a digital readout to measure the ballast , and I said why can't we use plastic 25 litre drums and fill em with water cos that's gonna weigh 25 kilos. he accepted the logic but didn't seem to happy about it
Old 01 June 2004, 10:28   #4

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Alternatively you could raise the transom with a fillet
That would be a despicable waste of good food!
Old 01 June 2004, 10:35   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Stu, I would go and find a different surveyor. It sounds like your's may be lacking in common sense.

Get hold of a surveyor who has coded a P22 and your transom will look huge to him

John
Old 01 June 2004, 11:04   #6
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
i am gonna have to argue it out
Yep, a lot of these surveyors seem unsure how to apply the regs to ribs as they don't consider the top of the tube to be the freeboard. Speak to Jonno as the school boats were coded recently so he'll be able to give you the gen. Strangely enough, my positively dangerous med style rib with its self draining deck and sportsboat type transom easily meets the criteria.

Also, if you look carefully, there's a good ladder which is useful to those prone to being ejected from their boats.

DM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b10.JPG
Views:	527
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	6096  
Old 01 June 2004, 22:36   #7

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
Stuart

Agree with John, find a different surveyor. We use Savage & Rea via the RYA technical dept.

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2004, 23:03   #8

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
In my mind, it depends on, if you bought this boat with the intention of getting it coded, and adding paying passengers to it ??

there are so many people, that buy a rib, and think, i can make a few squid on the odd trip -- these boats are sometimes not good for the job -- there is a big difference in buying a rib for a blast around the bay, with the wife and kids, and back - and taking a boatload of people out, for an enjoyable experience -- these are the people that are paying per head for the pleasure--and should be treated to the best in safety -- not all boats are made for this, and so cannot be expected to pass all coding requirements -- otherwise i could turn an x reg fiesta into a 6 person taxi? - did you buy this boat with the intention to get it coded? from new, or secondhand.

The freeboard thing -- the boat may sit fine and well with one in it, but with say 8 odd people in it (an extra half ton or so) it will not sit so well and high, and if you go backwards into a big sea with that lot on it gravity may get the better........?

Changing your surveyor is like taking your car to a garage that is 'good with MOT's' and you may get away with it?
At the end of the day it is not only your safety you are dealing with it is other lives as well.............. your choice.
I have had different surveyors do all my boats and i deal with their differences in a safe and passable way......... that is what surveyors and coding is all about .. you have to live with it and pay the financial price to do so,,, otherwise people will get hurt and all will end up on the lifeboat.

Pete
Old 03 June 2004, 08:29   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafariskye
Changing your surveyor is like taking your car to a garage that is 'good with MOT's' and you may get away with it?
To take your analogy a bit further, if your MOT inspector was unfamiliar with your make of car but decided that the steering box was worn and needed replacing it wouldn't be unreasonable to seek a second opinion from someone familar with your particular vehicle.

In this case there are established precendents and surveyors do have a certain amount of discretion. As it happens the surveyor was more than satisfied with the RIB in question.

John
Old 03 June 2004, 08:36   #10

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Mot...

You wanna try taking a trike for an MOT then.. Try and find an MOT tester who knows what the feck they're talking about then! Always pays to take a copy of the regs to "point out" the relevant paragraphs..
Old 03 June 2004, 09:40   #11

Hi as John said the surveyor turned out to be a thorough and good surveyor. The issue of the transom realy was my interpratation of the transom height. I was presuming he meant at it's lowest point but an allowance is made for the cut out on which the outboard mounts. This was my concern all in all I was happy when i thought Freeboard was a song by Leonard Skinhead

Regarding the water and weight issue he was fine with the water but still wanted to see some scales to weigh the people which is fair.

Pete/Seafairskye. In your post you mentioned that paying customers deserve higher safety standards than the wife and family.....My view is that the sea demands that everybody going out on my boat deserves the highest safety standards and get them!

We use different ribs for different jobs. All the boats are bought with the intention of using them as Charter boats sp are all up to the job. The biggest job we have done so far is an all day charter/treasure hunt for 168 people which was quite challenging. We really could do with a couple more of them!
Old 03 June 2004, 10:52   #12

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
i thought Freeboard was a song by Leonard Skinhead
I knew you wouldn't let me down... I waited for two days, with the song going round and round in my head, for that line!!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 June 2004, 11:41   #13

And what a great song to have going round in your head!

When the Avon 5.4 comes on line then I wa gonna call it either Freebird, Aretha or Needed Time. I think I might just call it Freeboard.

I'd like to state that when Bugle Billy is finally ready his name will not be changed to All Right Now

cheers
Stuart