Town: Tisted Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
MMSI: 235
Send a message via MSN to LURCHER
Film charter

I have a contact who needs a RIB for about 2 hours in the following locations to do some filming .If anyone can help please PM me . They have a budget of about 300 a go.

Spurn Head
Lindisfarne
Liverpool
Blackpool

all in July
many thanks
Old 19 June 2008, 07:33   #2

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
They have a budget of about 300 a go.
They will need coded Ribs and qualified skippers, and that isn't going to happen at 300 a go!

They WILL be breaking the law if they don't!

Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 09:00   #3

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
They will need coded Ribs and qualified skippers, and that isn't going to happen at 300 a go!
I know plenty of people who would do a 2 hour film charter for 300! Maybe Solent prices are different to elsewhere.....
Old 19 June 2008, 11:31   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I know plenty of people who would do a 2 hour film charter for 300! Maybe Solent prices are different to elsewhere.....

no surprises there!

That's because theres too many people trying to get piece of the action and make ther boats pay for themselves. Proffesional boat drivers don't like to get out o bed for less than 200 a day, That doesn't leave much for boat hire, transportation, coding fuel, insurance and safety equipment costs. Also this is film work and that pays a premium. At 300 quid a day you'd lose money Any idea how long it would take you to tow the boat to Lindisfarne that's near Newcastle

D'ya see Solent Ribcharter going ater work for tht kinda money, or somebody that's just given John Price 80k for a Commercial Humber.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 17:43   #5

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Proffesional boat drivers don't like to get out o bed for less than 200 a day,
Professional as in does this for a living, or professional as in meets the Rogue Wave definition (I think it's about three people... )

Quote:
D'ya see Solent Ribcharter going ater work for tht kinda money
Yes, but only if it's based near their area of operation - same as South West Rib Charter etc. The big cost here strikes me as the transport costs involved.
Old 20 June 2008, 02:03   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Yep and some of them even pay trade membership when they have a signature linking to a rib based business
Old 21 June 2008, 02:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Professional as in does this for a living, or professional as in meets the Rogue Wave definition (I think it's about three people... )
Rogue Waves definitions

Semi-professional
People who are semi-professional are paid for an activity which they take part in but which they do not do all the time:

Professional
Someone who has worked hard in the same type of job for a long time and has become skilled at dealing with any problem that might happen:

So in my world a profesional power boat driver isn't a hustling student, an accountant, an employee of the environment agency or even a talented young SRC and Yacht instructor. Hes a guy that is involved in and dedicated to powerboats full time. I'd say Cookee fitted that profile wouldn't you? Pete7 would if he decide to do it for a living!

I've had the pleasure of working with many excellent and skilled people over the years, many of which I've learnt from, and the very best is a guy called Jon Aldis.

You're other point about the big cost being transportation, in this instance that's probably true, but I suspect Lurchers friends were looking for local resources. Overall, I believe the biggest cost is an invisible one namely wear and tear. That's why you have to factor in a sensible profit margin or walk away from the work. if you're making a hundred pounds profit and you ding your prop then you've worked for nothing, which most certainly doesn't fit my definitions of either semi professional or professional
Old 21 June 2008, 20:24   #8

Length: 6m +
Quote:
So in my world a profesional power boat driver isn't a hustling student, an accountant, an employee of the environment agency or even a talented young SRC and Yacht instructor. Hes a guy that is involved in and dedicated to powerboats full time. I'd say Cookee fitted that profile wouldn't you?
So someone like Doug (who will kill me for dragging him into this) doesn't qualify as a professional according to your definition, because despite a life on the water, he spreads himself between Yachting, Dinghy Sailing, Powerboating, Motor Cruising, and the Supporting Theory, including maintenance of boats and a commercial centre, doesn't qualify as a professional because he spreads himself across various maritime disciplines, but someone who builds and races boats does, because it's exclusively powerboats he builds and races?
Old 22 June 2008, 02:43   #9

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
The words can, worms, open and everywhere spring to mind here

I would also suggest that a pro can deal with the customers in a manner that is not seen to be them opening their mouth and inserting a large size 9 boot!
Also is able to put brain in to gear before opening said mouth

There are a huge number of part timers, in many walks of life, that are as good and if not better than those who do a role full time. Just look at firefighters and our very good men and women of the RNLI, how many of them work in boating full time any more? not very many yet they are, without doubt, one of if not the best marine resuce services in the world.

If you house was on fire, god forbid, you would not care if they were part timers or whole timers would you? hell I know I would not!

Its not about how much time you spend doing something its how good you are at it.

I run my marine company part time but I know we are as good and in a lot of cases far better than many who do it full time and we are proud of that fact and strive to ensure we stay that way.

And getting back to the thread, IMHO 150 per is not a bad rate, this would cover fuel, wages, wear and tear and include the other hidden cost of running a boat business. If you do the sums right this sort of rate works well.

All IMHO of course!
Old 22 June 2008, 06:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
So someone like Doug (who will kill me for dragging him into this) doesn't qualify as a professional according to your definition, because despite a life on the water, he spreads himself between Yachting, Dinghy Sailing, Powerboating, Motor Cruising, and the Supporting Theory, including maintenance of boats and a commercial centre, doesn't qualify as a professional because he spreads himself across various maritime disciplines, but someone who builds and races boats does, because it's exclusively powerboats he builds and races?

Absolutely