Click Here to Login

Old 21 January 2006, 22:04   #1

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
equipment needed to code a rib...

hello all, hoping to sponge off the wealth of knowledge here!

how do you go about coding a rib?
the different categories, what do they allow you to do?
what equipment is needed, cost?
how do you go about fitting eg a life raft into a 6.3m ocean pro?
Old 22 January 2006, 12:19   #2

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
look on the MCA website for this dic

mgn 280 (m)

it will tell you the equipment you need and any will hightlight things to check on the boat to be compliant - e.g fuel lines
Old 22 January 2006, 19:55   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I have found the YDSA code to be the most popular with Ribs doen here. Check out there website for a surveyor after you have had a look at the MCA

cost of the kit will be about 2 k but varies with how many people you code the boat for. (I believe you can only code for the number of seats on the boat)

You mount your liferaft either inside if it's a valise or on a cradle if it's a canister.

It's not too difficult to get a boat coded providing you do the preperation.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2006, 20:29   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I have found the YDSA code to be the most popular with Ribs doen here. Check out there website for a surveyor after you have had a look at the MCA

cost of the kit will be about 2 k but varies with how many people you code the boat for. (I believe you can only code for the number of seats on the boat)

You mount your liferaft either inside if it's a valise or on a cradle if it's a canister.

It's not too difficult to get a boat coded providing you do the preperation.
Ocean Dynamics boats often have no seats - everyone sits on the tubes holding onto central rails - don't seem to be any probs there.

Apparently you are ok as long as there are sufficient handholds???
Old 22 January 2006, 23:17   #5

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
i read on another thread that it may be that when coding a rib, it restricts it to a certain area, is this the case if a boat is to be used for private use and still insured, say does a coded rib only apply when fee paying passengers are involved? basically so a rib could be used for commercial purposes, but also for private cruising.
Old 23 January 2006, 08:44   #6

be careful

Mr Cod, if i was going out on a rib charter, i would at least like to sit down, i don't think its that safe sitting on the tubes at speed. When mine was coded they coded for how many seats there were - hence people (as rogue said), which to me seems sensible

The areas you can code for

Local coding A-D , as example the solent is C/D , D extends to the needles one way basically

MCA coding 1 to 6 - extends to different ranges and conditions, however a rib is generally limited to 4-6 (generally).

All of this determines the equipment you will need

Insurance, if you are carrying fee paying passanges you need to be coded and the correct insurance. if they are not fee paying then its like taking your friends out.....however would you take your friends out without all the correct gear.. probably not.

I asked the same questions, especially the liferaft on ribs question, basically you need the correct gear and insurance and the correct qualifications
Old 23 January 2006, 09:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob
be careful

Mr Cod, if i was going out on a rib charter, i would at least like to sit down, i don't think its that safe sitting on the tubes at speed. When mine was coded they coded for how many seats there were - hence people (as rogue said), which to me seems sensible.
The reason I said I believe I that I know my surveyor wouldn't code for non seated passengers (and I wouldn't want him too) but the OD I drive in the North Sea has a 12 people code and only two seats.

I echo Jimbobs statement of concern re sitting on toobs and would point out that being coded ,insured and qualified doesn't exclude you from a lawsuit for back injuries 4 years down the line. If that happens you need to be able to prove you have taken reasonable precautions to ensure the health and safety of your passengers. I am not sure that toob sitting would assist in that situation
Old 23 January 2006, 10:10   #8

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Ocean Dynamics boats often have no seats - everyone sits on the tubes holding onto central rails - don't seem to be any probs there.

Apparently you are ok as long as there are sufficient handholds???
I think you will find that most surveyors/certifying authorities will want seating (not on tubes)for all passengers for all new applications. I know that more and more insurance companies are insisting on this for passenger charters.
Another thing I think you will see coming from insurance companies is a restriction to 25knots when carrying passengers in Ribs.
Andy
Old 23 January 2006, 11:51   #9

Andy Gee, interest about speed, my insurance is just up in Feb,,, basically they are using the same details as when i fisrt insured it - 40 knts. But i weill keep an eye out

Good point to raise
Old 23 January 2006, 14:04   #10
ozz

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: bojangles
Make: scorpion
Engine: yanmar
My boat is locally licenced and I have just had a letter from the council informing me that for 2006 the 3rd party liability cover has to be increased to £3M and also that liferafts are now compulsory.

- although existing boats have 12 months to comply with the liferaft.

A 25Knt rule would suck.

Cheers

Ozz
Old 23 January 2006, 15:48   #11

As regards safety and sitting on tubes etc - firsly I would have thought back injuries LESS likely as your seat is cushioned!!!

Also I think that the reason the Ocean Dynamics boat that capsized suffered no serious injuries with a full load of passengers was because they were all thrown clear.

I do NOT intend to have people sitting on the tubes on my boat but I think the pros and cons are pretty evenly balanced.

Shaun Whyte's trips were wilder than most and they had a great safety record.
Old 23 January 2006, 16:17   #12

Ozz, i notice you are in portsmouth, they required 3.0m and lferaft last year,,,i suppose it could be timing.

Also they will not issue a licence until they have seen the liferaft and the 3.0m cover on insurance, i suppose this ensures that people actually complete any exceptions
Old 23 January 2006, 16:21   #13

codprawn, i dont suppose it matters now, they will only issue for the seats, you have plenty so it makes no difference
Old 23 January 2006, 16:55   #14
ozz

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: bojangles
Make: scorpion
Engine: yanmar
Hi Jimbob,
I am actually licenced under Eastleigh as it is kept on the Hamble. They must have followed suit this year.
Old 23 January 2006, 17:04   #15

Ozz, i see, yes they were a year behind, they used to allow the rib becuase it had sufficiet bouyancy and lifelines
Old 23 January 2006, 17:18   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob
codprawn, i dont suppose it matters now, they will only issue for the seats, you have plenty so it makes no difference
But it DOES make a difference if they are forcing people to do something that MAY not be as safe as it used to be!!!

Also what about coded dive boats that have no seats at all???
Old 23 January 2006, 17:31   #17

the diveboats might go under a workboat code as in tugs, I am not sure. Also don't forget a coding ticket is for five years. so a boat coded three years ago would be ok if it didn't comply with a 2 year old change in regs. They are subject to mid term inspections but I think that it's to ensure they are still up to snuff

I am unsure who is forcing who to follow unsafe practice. Eastleigh the MCA or the Ocean Dynamics operators.

At the end of the day thou roolz iz roolz
Old 23 January 2006, 18:01   #18

Quote:
As regards safety and sitting on tubes etc - firsly I would have thought back injuries LESS likely as your seat is cushioned!!!

Also I think that the reason the Ocean Dynamics boat that capsized suffered no serious injuries with a full load of passengers was because they were all thrown clear.

I do NOT intend to have people sitting on the tubes on my boat but I think the pros and cons are pretty evenly balanced.

Shaun Whyte's trips were wilder than most and they had a great safety record.
I belive on another occasion they hurt a few of their passengers when they slammed down on the chequerplate deck having lost their grip on the handles! whilst sitting on the tubes!!
My wife have hurt herself in the same manner,and belive me she's a strong girl, but lost her grip on the life lines.
Somebdy else pitched forward on a wild ride in the Solent and had 14 stitches in their forehead. It was a mess and happened on a corporate charter, co now being sued.

I think the reason the Ocean Dynamics boat capsized was driver error by the way, the fact that nobody was hurt was just plain lucky.
Old 23 January 2006, 18:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I belive on another occasion they hurt a few of their passengers when they slammed down on the chequerplate deck having lost their grip on the handles! whilst sitting on the tubes!!
My wife have hurt herself in the same manner,and belive me she's a strong girl, but lost her grip on the life lines.
Somebdy else pitched forward on a wild ride in the Solent and had 14 stitches in their forehead. It was a mess and happened on a corporate charter, co now being sued.

I think the reason the Ocean Dynamics boat capsized was driver error by the way, the fact that nobody was hurt was just plain lucky.
Lets face it - taking passengers on rides through very confused water can NEVER be 100% safe - if people want 100% safety then they can stay on dry land.

The MAIB concluded that the company had taken all possible steps to ensure safety - including issuing pax with canoing helmets which they didn't need to do.

Probably the greatest safety factor of all though was the fact they always ran 2 boats at the same time so when the accident took place they pulled the people out very quickly. FAR safer than any liferaft!!!

To be honest I don't feel very safe sitting on the tubes but i do think it's a bit of a case of "swings and roundabouts"!!!
Old 23 January 2006, 18:26   #20

Quote:
Lets face it - taking passengers on rides through very confused water can NEVER be 100% safe - if people want 100% safety then they can stay on dry land.

I'd go for the 10 meg insurance option if I was you!

« radar | Top | Rates Of Pay »