Old 15 December 2008, 11:23   #1
nik

Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
do you need coding

I have done a search on coding and havnt found the answer, so here goes.

If I have a boat that I use as part of my business, but I do not carry passengers, does the boat need to be coded?

Nick.
Old 15 December 2008, 11:32   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
What do you use it for?
Old 15 December 2008, 12:27   #3
nik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
What do you use it for?
To enable me to get photographs at sea
Old 15 December 2008, 12:52   #4

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Coding applies to "United Kingdom (UK) vessels of up to 24 metres Load Line length which are engaged at sea in activities on a commercial basis, which carry cargo and/or not more than 12 passengers, or provide a service in which neither cargo nor passengers are carried, or are UK pilot boats of whatever size."

You would be exempt from coding if you were operating solely as a pleasure vessel, but if you are using the boat for a commercial purpose - my reading of the regulations would be that you should get the boat coded. (I don't claim to be an expert, though - so I suggest you call the Technical Dept of the RYA or the MCA for a definitive answer)
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2008, 14:22   #5
nik

I phoned the mca today and, yes I do need to be coded.
Next, I have to see how feasible it is.

Nick.
Old 15 December 2008, 14:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik View Post
Next, I have to see how feasible it is.

And how expensive. Unfortunately, it doesn't come cheap (depending how much kit you have on board already, of course)

There are a number of different companies who can carry out a coding assessment for you. It's worth shopping around, prices vary considerable (We found the RYA to be the best option for us with RIBs)
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 15 December 2008, 15:02   #7

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Nick. I assume you will be working mainly in the Solent? If so, you can get local area coding which is a lot less expensive and less hassle. Newport will still licence a boat without a liferaft, but of course you are limited to anywhere between Bembridge and the Needles, so photos of things like Round the Island Race might be a bit tricky.
Old 15 December 2008, 15:06   #8

Nik
If you are just going to be operating in the Solent then it may be worth looking into local authority coding instead of MCA coding as they often have slacker restrictions depending on how you intend to use the boat.
I believe you can code with any local authority that covers the Solent (Isle of Wight, Southampton, New Forest) and they all have slightly different regulations.
I know others on here have coded with Isle of Wight (Newport) council for boats that run out of Southampton due to this.
Speak to Doug at Stormforce as I know he coded his Ribeye with Isle of Wight ealier this year.

Hamster
Old 15 December 2008, 15:37   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Coding

Nik, I had one boat coded on a local authority level with Eastleigh initially under Hamble River Authority and it was only just a little cheaper but that was because they did not require a liferaft but recently the coding on local levels is going to almost the same position and then you are left stuck with one area of restricted waters. I have coded to MCA levels and this has higher requirements as to lifejackets on board and liferafts and helm qualifications and then the annual checks. Newport on the wight still did not need liferafts but check now as this coming year they may be forced to abide by higher levels which does make it costly unless you hire one for just days working as a commercial level which quite a few do even now. Generally the kit levels do not change much. If it works out too expensive then work out the costs to code your boat then maybe strike a deal on a local operator to take you out if anyone does hour trips that might be cheaper depending on your needs. Hope this helps
Old 15 December 2008, 17:32   #10
nik

Thanks Guys,
I started reading some stuff today and one thing I picked up on was that there appears to be a harmonisation process going on, which means that local authorities will be adopting mca standards.
A large document I was looking at had so much in it that was not relevant, cranes, tugs etc, it was hard to find the stuff that was. The chap at the mca who dealt with coding seemed very helpful, so I will be probably be speaking to him again.

Nick.
Old 15 December 2008, 17:41   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Nik have a chat with Searider on this site- does RIB survey work and knows both coding processes
Old 15 December 2008, 18:16   #12

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 250hp
Hi

Drop me a line if you want a chat about coding.

Jono
Old 15 December 2008, 20:44   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Before you go to all of this expense to set up to the same standard as a charter boat.

Are you going afloat taking photos and selling them?

OR

Are people hiring you and your boat for photography work?

If it's the former keep your head down and get on with snapping your pics. There are several well know Solent photographers who do not own coded boats.

If is the second then you are effectivly setting up for hire / charter and nned to think about coding, certification, insurance etcs.

Dont make your life unnecessarily complicated
Old 16 December 2008, 07:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
If it's the former keep your head down and get on with snapping your pics.
Having already discussed your situation directly with the MCA, this may not be an option for you.

Quote:
There are several well know Solent photographers who do not own coded boats.
We'd like to think that coding regs are there for a purpose. Where that purpose is to safeguard paying customers or paid staff it would be inexcusable to try and cheat the system. If the coding argument seems to be more about another opportunity for revenue generation for Mr Brown and his pals (as could be argued in the case of operators like Nick) then it's a rather different story. However, there is a great temptation for those who do spend a lot of time and money complying with the rules to blow the whistle on others who choose not to. I don't know what it's like in the Solent, but we have had a few examples of that up here
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 16 December 2008, 14:56   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Ian

My question was, "is he a guy that may happen to be sat on his boat when he takes a photo that he later sells?" If so coding is not required.

I totally agree that coding is there to protect customers and staff, however i'm not 100% sure that either will be on Niks boat, in other words if the boat is not part of the service or carrying cargo or passengers then it may be that coding is not required.

Im not suggesting cutting corners with regulations, simply making sure that they are appropriate and that you have to comply before you go through the motions.

A little more info from Nik and we could all advise him better
Old 16 December 2008, 16:48   #16
nik

Hello Doug, I am sure you are correct that I could troll around snapping away and nobody would bat an eyelid. My conversation with Mr MCA was on a no names basis.
But I am interested in getting the boat coded. I have a commercial ticket and the boat is a missing link. So this may enable me to pick up a bit of work in the future.
I am also interested in not paying the b*!%@y duty imposed on diesel.

Nick.
Old 16 December 2008, 20:20   #17

Town: Huntly
Make: Searider 4.7
Engine: 75 Suzuki
[QUOTE=SeaSkills;275136] Coding applies to "United Kingdom (UK) vessels of up to 24 metres Load Line length which are engaged at sea in activities on a commercial basis, which carry cargo and/or not more than 12 passengers, or provide a service in which neither cargo nor passengers are carried, or are UK pilot boats of whatever size."

Don't quite see how taking photos fits this unless someone directly hires you to take photos (in which case it will). But if you just go out taking photos for your pleasure which you later sell? How are they going to check?

You will take a long time to offset the cost of extra equipment, insurance (double) and the survey inspection (bank on £1.5k minimum by time licensing authority have their big cut) against the duty you can reclaim (if ever). Insurance and liferaft hire alone will probably be more than fuel duty reclaimed.
Not to mention the hastle of coding if you do it yourself or the extra cost of getting someone to do it. Having done it, it helps if you know the code regulations well it will save you the cost of a second survey visit.

Having said this I have reported someone for not being coded don't see why people should get away with carrying inocent paying passengers and not be up to spec. So if you plan to carry bods then get your boat up to the standards.

Just to put the cat further into the pidgeons, ths summer I saw a 6 metre humber belonging to a very well known photographer and it wasn't coded!!
Not the one I reported by the way that was a dive operator. Wonder what would have happened insurance wise if their was an accident?
Old 17 December 2008, 07:03   #18

Town: Dun Laoghaire
Length: 6m +
The coding regs are primarily to regulate boats which carry passengers....and rightly so.....if there were no regs every cowboy would be out there.
However the Coding Regs also cover WORK BOATS.....If the boat used for work it should be coded. I suppose the Photographers and others who use uncoded boats for work purpose will eventually find the long arm of the law stretching out to meet them some time...probably after some cowboy has an accident!
Old 04 January 2009, 17:06   #19

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Surely the amount you save on fuel makes coding worth it?
Old 06 January 2009, 09:02   #20

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Engine: 75hp
And we wonder why people give up trying to run businesses in this country...

I really must look into putting boats on the Liberian register...