Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 15 September 2009, 16:37   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fife
Boat name: Tornado
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 80hp Outboard
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 128
Yeah I have a gecko, but its just when am not using the gecko I also need to communate so I need a headset for that as well! I just can't find one though!
__________________

__________________
severncoxswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2009, 16:45   #12
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
The motorola's are good radios. You can knock hell out of them and they will still work, some are submersible but obviously you'll pay more for them.
You usually get them programmed too so if you bought two of the same radios channel 1 may not communicate with channel 1 on the other radio.
__________________

__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2009, 11:50   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fife
Boat name: Tornado
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 80hp Outboard
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
If you bought two of the same radios channel 1 may not communicate with channel 1 on the other radio.
Why's that?
__________________
severncoxswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2009, 04:53   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,622
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Both Icom and Vertex Standard (commercial radio part of Standard Horizon) make fully waterproof commercial grade PMR radio's. You will require a PMR licence to own and use these radio's. The best one for this would be the UK General PMR licence.

Please do not confuse these with the cheap licence free PMR446 radio's, they are not one in the same.

Cheers
__________________
Jon Brooks VSMM. Marine Mammal Medic, PBI, SRC Assessor,PWC Instructor.
www.horizonseasafaris.co.uk
Jon Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2009, 05:01   #15
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by severncoxswain View Post
Why's that?
The radios are individually programmed, two building sites can work side by side using the same radios but programmed to different frequencies.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2009, 11:09   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fife
Boat name: Tornado
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 80hp Outboard
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 128
Yeah I knw that likes, Thats wat all radios are like it aint...........

So do any of you out there knw where to get a couple Motorolas from????

Cheers
__________________
severncoxswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2009, 17:08   #17
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
You usually get them programmed too so if you bought two of the same radios channel 1 may not communicate with channel 1 on the other radio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by severncoxswain View Post
Why's that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
The radios are individually programmed, two building sites can work side by side using the same radios but programmed to different frequencies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by severncoxswain View Post
Yeah I knw that likes, Thats wat all radios are like it aint...........

So do any of you out there knw where to get a couple Motorolas from????

Cheers
What did you ask for then?

All radios are programmed but you need to be aware that unlike a marine VHF where all channels are the same the motorola's can be programmed for the individual user.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2009, 07:49   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fife
Boat name: Tornado
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 80hp Outboard
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
What did you ask for then?
I thought you ment somethin different.......

I understand that unlike VHF's the motorolas can be programmed pesificly for the user.......

But I dnt need them programmed I just need them normal......no programmed for any pesific job......
__________________
severncoxswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2009, 09:41   #19
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by severncoxswain View Post
I thought you ment somethin different.......

I understand that unlike VHF's the motorolas can be programmed pesificly for the user.......

But I dnt need them programmed I just need them normal......no programmed for any pesific job......
I think chewy's point is - there is no "normal". And so you need a pair programmed (or to get them reprogged) to the same config.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2009, 12:06   #20
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I think chewy's point is - there is no "normal". And so you need a pair programmed (or to get them reprogged) to the same config.
Thats what I meant, your best of buying a set of cheap pre-programmed radios and stick them in a bag.
__________________

__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.