Old 03 January 2012, 01:29   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
What happened to the reply, I think it was a sea school in Cardiff who posted on this thread last night??
Old 03 January 2012, 03:47   #12

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: tango
Length: 4m +
Hi, I've read this thread with considerable interest, I've had a commercially endorsed level 2 for a while now and am about to attend an advanced powerboat course this month, assuming it all goes well then my first point of action would be to apply to have it commercially endorsed; does this mean that my license would be viewed differently by potential operators as i'd 'just got in' before the change, or am I atually at an advantage? I wondered what thoughts folks had?

Cheers
Dom

Old 03 January 2012, 04:17   #13
Trade member

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post

This sets out the background and prices etc.

It states "The course will cover the legal requirements, regulations, guidance and processes for managing the vessel and its crew. From April 2012 this will become a pre-requisite for anyone applying for their first commercial endorsement, and for those renewing their endorsement"

The next move on from this is to remove a commercial endorsement at PB2 level and only allow an endorsement starting at Intermediate course level which would allow then restricted water work and keeping the advanced commercial endorsement as it stands for a while before further changes.

I am sure corrections will follow from schools involved in the process but this was the discussion recently
MCA driven not RYA thinking of way's to make more cash.

over 65 medical every year not exam as Wavelength said

Those who do not have access to a computer will be offered the oral version of the exam I am guessing at a RTC' one option I will offer as we are going to be part of the scheme.

If you sneak in before April I dont think your certs will be looked at any differently.

Intermediate the new commercial entry level much better idea should do the same for PBI .

Changes to the Advanced knowledge of Navigation to Coastal/ Yachtmaster shore based course as Coastal skipper Comm and APB allow you to take vessel 20 nm offshore so will bring them in line.
Tim
Old 03 January 2012, 04:18   #14

Town: Northumberland
Boat name: Dr Doof
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 125hp
MMSI: 235082981
The reply from the Cardiff sea school has gone? and the following post mentioning trade membership?
Old 03 January 2012, 04:39   #15

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
I'm a commercial Yachtmaster power and it seems I will lose this if I don't do it - don't use it very often and not for a while so I may not bother - seems a shame but an expence for little gain - has anyone done any costings yet?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2012, 06:40   #16

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
has anyone done any costings yet
cost of PPR fixed at 31 plus vat payable directly to RYA ...with a portion then passed onto training centre.
Quote:
I've had a commercially endorsed level 2 for a while now and am about to attend an advanced powerboat course this month, assuming it all goes well then my first point of action would be to apply to have it commercially endorsed
You will of course also have to do a commercial exam, not as with L2 which was just a case of collecting the other bits of paper.
Old 03 January 2012, 10:15   #17

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: Valiant 750 & XS600
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150, 115 HP
MMSI: Various
OK

The PPR course is a once only course, just like the Sea Survival currently is, however the plan is once you have the PPR to run a short update online session that you will have to do when you revalidate (every 5 yrs). As the update is so far of it it has not been written yet but it is anticipated that it will take about 30 minutes and be very low cost, it will focus on changes and areas that are highlighted as particularly important.

As far as the accusation of the RYA trying to generate more revenue goes I think you are being very cynical. The RYA has identified a gap in skippers knowledge and is trying to train better skippers who are aware of their legal responsibilities. This training will help you keep out of trouble. Unfortunately there are always people who will have a dig at those who are trying to make the world a better place.

Those that commercially endorse before 1 April will not be at a disadvantage with employers but will not benefit from the new course- comes back to why you take courses, because you want to learn how to do things well or because you want a piece of paper (most of us are after both).
tel - 02380 231122
Doug Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2012, 10:48   #18

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Doug, have you read the bit that says no more comm endorsed L2 in the future and that a comm intermediate will be put in place in its stead. I'm sure I've read it but now cannot find where it was. Ive probably filed it under "lost forever"
Old 03 January 2012, 10:55   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Cheers Doug and others involved. I am trying to get the correct info identified for our members in the PCA which covers Yachts, Crusiers RIBs etc.

Having spoken with the RYA today they are also not sure of the final formular and understand that some people are trying to organise their businesses for the coming year to ensure correct authorities/endorsements are in place or planned and trained for.(they state they have had sveral calls today-I think one may have been the skipper whos age affects his licencing) . The RYA were intending to get some info out in February through the schools but may now be realising the time delay could affect peoples plans/businesses so I am hopeful I may be called with more info direct from the horses mouth in the next day.

Despite my postings here I am unaffected until my next renewal in four years but have members in the association clearly worried about changes which are coming but with no more finality than what was printed on the RYA website. I will post what I am told.
Old 03 January 2012, 11:11   #20

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Length: 10m +
Engine: Various
[QUOTE=Doug Stormforce;436673]OK

The PPR course is a once only course, just like the Sea Survival currently is, however the plan is once you have the PPR to run a short update online session that you will have to do when you revalidate (every 5 yrs).

Just to pick up on the above point, albeit on a slight tangent
The RYA in my view can be very single minded in certain cases they will not recognise anybody else's certification, using the example you have quoted the sea survival, the RYA will not accept for instance the OPITO qualification (offshore sea survival) which is a far more intensive course and includes fire fighting, five day initial course and then 3 days refresher every 4 years. They have you over a barrel. How long before we have to do the RYA sea survival every 2 or 3 years ?