Old 19 April 2004, 17:33   #51
Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s

A valid point and one that is often "flouted" by operators whereby they designate one pf the pax as crew.

A pax is defined as a person over the age of 1 years and who would could not be considered as part of the crew. So to begin with a pax cannot also act as crew.

Now it is up to the master to ensure that the vessel is operated in a safe manner. The legal requirment for a crew would then lead to the crew being of some use and from personal experience I would recomend the following for crews. Crew are normally required to be 18 years of age (21 for class 6 vls)

1. Use regular crews.
2. Provide full training including manning of the vessel (in case the skipper is incapacitated).
3. Have undertaken a medical.
4. First aid and if poss sea survival.

You need to look further than the code requirements and consider the employment acts whereby you need to provide adequate training and risk assesment for your employees for their own safety as much as that of the pax.

Good buines practice and management will lead to crews staying with the company and training up to become skippers over a period of time. This will ensure the sucess of the company. Also crews act as an invaluable part of the customer relations on board and I would always suggest that their role is considered almost as important as the skipper.

Finally there is the point of whether they become PAYE or selfemployed. It is possible to employ skippers/crews on a regular basis with a carefuly worded contract that is acceptable to the IR. Whatever method you must make it formal so that in the event of an accident you can demonstrate a clear contractual basis.

This is important as the skipper holds many "rights" and responsibilities that he will undertake and a minute by minute basis without you being present. It can become a very complex subject but as two examples.

1. If the skipper considers it too rough to go to sea but you consider it fine what do you do !. On the other hand he proceeds to sea and you consider it too dangerous !. Best policy is to give the final decision on conditions to the skipper but you as owner reserve the right to stop the vessel proceeding.
2. The crew (who also happens to hold a skippers ticket) feels that conditions are not fit and does not reach an accord with the skipper. One step away from mutiny but again you need a clear written policy to deal with such so that in an event of an accident you can demonstrate good management.

quinquarimarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2004, 14:50   #52
Town: Greyabbey
Boat name: Keltoi
Make: Naked Ribs (Self Build)
Length: 6 six
Engine: Suzuki 140 fs
Commercial licence

Well when I asked my question right at the start I didn't expect to stir up such a hornets nest.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time out to reply, there is a lot of good advice and sound reasoning.

"Next time, use the flat of yer hand to go to neutral......that way we don't rip our transom off!"
"Yes Chief....can I call MAYDAY now?"
Naked Dave is offline   Reply With Quote