Old 02 June 2010, 11:10   #1

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Hercules
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 115hp EFI
Commercial Endorsement Exam

Hi,
Does anybody know of where there is somewhere running a commercial endorsement exam ?

I am struggling to find anybody available to do one.

Many thanks,
Old 02 June 2010, 11:50   #2

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdonnell2003 View Post
Hi,
Does anybody know of where there is somewhere running a commercial endorsement exam ?

Many thanks,
Not sure if it helps, but I did mine with Dave Mallett (Wavelength) on here....Dave is based in Blackpool IIRC. http://www.wavelengthtraining.co.uk/

Dave is a good guy to do it with IMO as he is pretty strict (as it shoud be) but fair.

Otherwise, sure there are others who can offer similar who will be along shortly....

Dan

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2010, 11:52   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
If you pm me your email I have the RYA accredited list you can then call and arrange the exam which I assume you mean the advanced powerboat commercial endorsement
Old 02 June 2010, 13:11   #4

Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Length: 10m +
Engine: Various
I'll give you this James you definitely don't give up !!!!
Hopefully somebody will be able to Help on here, if you need to use a RIB you can take the 6m......
Old 02 June 2010, 13:14   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Give me a call, on 02380 231122. We should be able to help you out
Old 02 June 2010, 20:34   #6

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdonnell2003 View Post
Hi,

Many thanks,
Can do your exam in the Solent if you want but if you want closer to home the contact Dave at Wavelength .
Ta
Tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 05 June 2010, 21:23   #7

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
thanks guys but I am so busy at the moment with commercial work i just have no time spare for exams. I only seem to come home to cut the lawn!
(oh - and to go to the IoM in the rib on m'day off!)
Old 08 June 2010, 11:27   #8

Boat name: Hercules
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.3
Engine: Mariner 115hp EFI
Many thanks for the help guys, I will be in touch
Old 08 June 2010, 19:50   #9

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
I see your exam request has been posted by the RYA, so Good Luck James.

Ian
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2010, 12:44   #10

Town: South Coast
Length: no boat
Day Skipper/Commercial endorsement - experts pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
Give me a call, on 02380 231122. We should be able to help you out
As an obvious expert in regulations, could you advise on following:-

Can someone with a Day Skipper ticket, just get it commercially endorsed from the RYA (£30) & then drive a RIB commercially, or do they need a specific RIB ticket eg APB?
Old 11 June 2010, 13:27   #11

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
No They don't

We had a Commercially Endorsed Coastal Skipper(Power) who took the APB course and they wouldn't transfer his commercial endorsement, after telling me they would before he did the course. The argument was that the passage examination had not been done in a planing craft.

In the end the guy got sacked because the intervention companies HIRA stated the driver needed a APB Commercial Endorsement. To get him examined at short notice was hassle and expense so it was easier to let him go and replace with a lesser qualified skipper.

That's the reason I was looking for a boat driver a few years ago things might have changed.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2010, 15:10   #12

Town: South Coast
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
We had a Commercially Endorsed Coastal Skipper(Power) who took the APB course and they wouldn't transfer his commercial endorsement, after telling me they would before he did the course. The argument was that the passage examination had not been done in a planing craft.

In the end the guy got sacked because the intervention companies HIRA stated the driver needed a APB Commercial Endorsement. To get him examined at short notice was hassle and expense so it was easier to let him go and replace with a lesser qualified skipper.

That's the reason I was looking for a boat driver a few years ago things might have changed.
Remind me what HIRA is.

If this guy gets sanction to drive a fast RIB, simply by getting his £30 'standard' commercial endorsement, it makes a mockery of getting any higher level ticket.

What would insurers accept?
Old 11 June 2010, 15:27   #13
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by alant1 View Post
Remind me what HIRA is.

?
Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment is the definition for Acronym HIRA and also Health Industry Representatives Association
Old 15 June 2010, 19:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alant1 View Post
... could you advise on following:-

Can someone with a Day Skipper ticket, just get it commercially endorsed from the RYA (£30) & then drive a RIB commercially, or do they need a specific RIB ticket eg APB?
Alan

Im not quite in agreement with Stu (not the first time)
A far as the small boat code and manning requirements are concerned the Dayskipper (sail and prac) can be com. endorsed. There is no mention of planning or otherwise. However the code goes on to say the skipper must have relevant experience.
Old 16 June 2010, 12:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
Alan

Im not quite in agreement with Stu (not the first time)
A far as the small boat code and manning requirements are concerned the Dayskipper (sail and prac) can be com. endorsed. There is no mention of planning or otherwise. However the code goes on to say the skipper must have relevant experience.
That's true , maybe we should have a score sheet and see who is correct most of the time. and I wish I was wrong as I really enjoyed working with the guy we let go.

I have the note from the RYA telling me it wasn't going to happen. You'll appreciate that as we had to let the guy go we couldn't do that without having a documentary trail in case an employment lawyer was engaged by the driver, who was on relatively big bucks, .
The guy had a commercial Yachtmaster power coastal ticket and loads of experience driving diving barges, he had an OPITO FRC (years of driving 9m Delta's) , and an RYA Advanced Powerboat ticket.+ radar, sea survival, VHF and HSE Divers medical.

I went to 2 of the powerboat trainers on this forum to see if the advanced ticket could have the commercial endorsement transferred from the coastal ticket. 1 of them was kind enough to agree to run an individual short notice assessment, but the OIM chose to replace the guy instead of incurring further expense, which was a shame as I trusted him with the boats, and he was world class p**s taker, so the crack was always good between the 2 of us. The other bummer was that I messed the trainer around a bit making arrangements that we eventually didn't proceed with.

If you are correct, and you are in a position to transfer his endorsement without re-examining him then I'll send him to you as he still needs it doing, I know about three other similarly qualified guys who want the APBI tickets but refuse to go through the examination again, although they haven't got a problem paying for the admin time.
Old 16 June 2010, 13:06   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
That's true , maybe we should have a score sheet and see who is correct most of the time. and I wish I was wrong as I really enjoyed working with the guy we let go.
But you're not answering the same question.

Alan asked if a Commercially endorsed Day Skipper (Power) could drive a coded RIB. The answer is in para 26 and annex 3 of this: http://mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mgn_280.pdf

As Doug says "yes" (provided they have relevant experience) - but also only a Cat 6 coded boat (i.e. the same as someone with a Commercially Endorsed PB2).

Likewise it would appear that your former colleage would be qualified to drive MCA coded ribs upto Cat 3 - since he has a commercially endorsed Coastal Skipper and his FRC training will show experience on RIBs. However that is not the same as keeping the offshore people happy who have their own specific requirements. Likewise any employer might choose to stipulate their own requirements, and e.g. insist on APB. You were answering the question "can I convert a Coastal Skipper ticket to an APB ticket?" and the answer their appears to be no.
Old 16 June 2010, 18:01   #17

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Rouge
If your guys hold the Advanced ticket they gotta do the exam.If they got APB before 2005 then they can get Commercial Endorsement as thats when the rules changed.
Same works for Yachtmaster Instructor Power who want to teach ribs got to do the Powerboat Instructors course first then the Advanced. The RYA don't give short cuts for any of it's disciplines done a couple of conversions this year seems everyone wants to get into ribs.

my 2p
Tim
Old 16 June 2010, 19:14   #18

Quote:
maybe we should have a score sheet and see who is correct most of the time......
You would only get upset with the results!!!!

To clear up the confusion a APB COC and a Yachtmaster Coastal CoC (formerly Coastal Skipper CoC) are seen by the MCA as the same (from a skippers point of view), neither are RIB specific and there is nothing that says either can or can not be taken in a RIB. Both allow skippers up to 20NM from a safe haven by day and night on vessels upto 24m ie cat 3-6. The law simply states that the skipper should have relevant experience.

As a general rule among RYA centers APB is taken in open boats like RIBs and the Coastal is done on board cruisers, often twin engine but this is not set in stone. A few years ago we trained some guys from the North Sea to Coastal Skipper CoC in a 11m cabin RIB they could have equally done the APBI or the Yachtmaster Offshore on the same boat.

Quote:
If you are correct, and you are in a position to transfer his endorsement without re-examining him ....
WE cant transfer his endorsement and as far as the RYA and MCA are concerned here would be nothing to gain from doing so. If his employer has gold plated the regs and wants APB CoC then the only option is to take the short exam or tell the employer they are wrong
Old 17 June 2010, 13:45   #19

Thanls Dougie,

I didn't think you could transfer the endorsements. re the regs yes they are gold plated unfortunately, .