Old 11 October 2004, 10:42   #1

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Dark Angel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5.85
Engine: Mariner 90HP Four Stroke
Commercial Endorsement 2005?

Does anyone know when the new exam/test for the commercial endorsement will come into play 1st Jan, 1st April? Also what will the costs be and what will it involve?

Many thanks,
Mark.

Old 11 October 2004, 11:10   #2
Trade member

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknj
Does anyone know when the new exam/test for the commercial endorsement will come into play 1st Jan, 1st April? Also what will the costs be and what will it involve?

Many thanks,
Mark.
1st of Jan effective you must have your advanced certificate and then you will be examined by either a powerboat trainer or yachtmaster examiner you will have to book this via the RYA as the current yachtmaster scheme works at the moment around the 150 mark content of the exam will be down to the examiner personaly i would go for a trainer as he /she will be more current with the syllabus you will not be asked to do anything that is not in your logbook however it is an exam so high standard will be required also there will be a written theory test this is from the last instructors update i saw so i could be abit behind on this drop Paul Glatzel or Dave Hickman a pm as they are both trainers who use this forum
hope it helps regards
Old 11 October 2004, 11:48   #3

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Tim.

My understanding is that if you have already got your Advanced ticket prior to 1st January then the RYA will commercialy endorse this, subject to having the sea survival and medical. For those who are taking the Advanced after 1st January 2005 then they will have to take a written exam for the commercial endorsement.

Simon
Old 11 October 2004, 12:06   #4
Trade member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hawkins
Tim.

My understanding is that if you have already got your Advanced ticket prior to 1st January then the RYA will commercialy endorse this, subject to having the sea survival and medical. For those who are taking the Advanced after 1st January 2005 then they will have to take a written exam for the commercial endorsement.

Simon
Yes and no
yes if you have already got your advanced and sea survival and medical
and no if you are going to do it after this date there is as far as i can remember a practical and theory exam i am sure Paul or Dave will be able to clear it up as they are RYA Trainers, the Principles Conference is in November and it is on the agenda also its the first time Principles from the Motor Cruising Section who wish to examine The New Advanced Certificate of Competence will be there and various workshops are on the agenda so maybe a better answer can be given after this date .any one going from down South can i Blag a lift.
Old 11 October 2004, 12:13   #5

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Tim

That is exactly what I was getting at, perhaps not worded clearly enough. I am quiet now so will have to go out on the boats sometime.
Old 11 October 2004, 13:45   #6

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
The way it will work is (as i understand it):
  • 1st Jan onwards Advanced Certificate remains as is. However Advanced Certificates issued post 1st Jan cannot be commercially endorsed.
  • Those seeking to Commercially Endorse at Advanced Level will need to take an "Advanced Exam" (my title). This will be c6 hours split between theory and practical.
  • Bookings will be via the RYA website, Trainers & Examiners will be made aware of bookings and advise the RYA they are available - i don't see there is a way to choose between Trainers or Examiners - nor any particular benefit. By definition (in terms of the way bookings are made) therefore you couldn't choose who examines you
  • Trainers have all been asked whether they wish to become Examiners, there is a meeting at the Principals Conference to educate & discuss
  • Perhaps i misunderstand Tim's post but the implication is that Motor Cruising Principals can examine as above. Given that Principals are not always particulalry experienced (in some cases it is the Chief Instructor that is the well qualified one) i cannot see this would be so.

Think that covers it

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2004, 14:36   #7
Trade member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glatzel
  • Perhaps i misunderstand Tim's post but the implication is that Motor Cruising Principals can examine as above. Given that Principals are not always particulalry experienced (in some cases it is the Chief Instructor that is the well qualified one) i cannot see this would be so.

Paul
Sorry Paul should read that the Motor Cruising Principals are invited to the
power conference and YACHTMASTER EXAMINERS will be able to examine the commercial endorsement.
Old 11 October 2004, 16:06   #8

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Dark Angel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5.85
Engine: Mariner 90HP Four Stroke
Many thanks, I take it the same will apply for commercial endorsement of Yacht Master (Power)?
Thanks again,
Mark.
Old 12 October 2004, 03:00   #9

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Many thanks, I take it the same will apply for commercial endorsement of Yacht Master (Power)?
Well it already does really, Yachtmaster is an examined rather than certificated course. If you achieve Yachtmaster then you can go ahead and commercially endorse.

What is likely to happen is that Powerboat schools will copy the approach of motor/sail schools and offer "Advanced Exam Preparation" courses in the run up to someone undertaking their "Advanced Exam"

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2004, 03:05   #10
Trade member

Do you see this as making the advanced course more expensive if they have to be examined or are you refering to the commercial aspect of the course only
regards Tim