Old 06 August 2011, 09:16   #1

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Aintree
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin 150's
Commercial endoresement medical

I have just had my medical for my advanced commercial endorsement and it turns out I am colour blind. Can I still get the endorsement ?
Old 06 August 2011, 09:30   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Do a search on here. IIRC, you are not the first. As I recall Richard (who posted as "Nautibouy" at the time and now uses "UKPowerboats") had this issue and managed to get endorsed. It may depend on the "severity" of your colourblindness - e.g. my son is red-green colour blind but if you show him a clear red or green colour he would be fine, but "impure" colours he usually calls brown, and he is unable to discriminate between shades of green-brown-red. If you've made it this far through life without discovering your are colour blind I assume you are in a similar camp and may be able to convince the MCA that you can tell the difference between red/green buoys and lights.
Old 06 August 2011, 09:37   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Hi, I am colour blind too, I am commercially endorsed. I had to go to the MCA at Southampton for a lantern test. They then set a restriction to daylight hours only.

There are contact lenses now that can correct the colour blindness but they won't lift the restriction to daylight hours only even if you use the lenses, as in their words they can't guarantee you will wear the lenses all the time!! I argued the point saying well you can't guarantee someone who has go use their glasses for short or long sited vision! and that they can't guarantee they will wear them either but that argument was going nowhere!

The one concern with daylight hours depending on your working area you need to take into account if you do further distance charters, then you will need to make allowances for any major delays that could affect you getting back inside your daylight hours. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 06 August 2011, 17:21   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by redthunder View Post
I have just had my medical for my advanced commercial endorsement and it turns out I am colour blind.
Bummer. New user name then?
Old 07 August 2011, 09:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPOWERBOAT View Post
Hi, I am colour blind too, I am commercially endorsed. I had to go to the MCA at Southampton for a lantern test. They then set a restriction to daylight hours only.

There are contact lenses now that can correct the colour blindness but they won't lift the restriction to daylight hours only even if you use the lenses, as in their words they can't guarantee you will wear the lenses all the time!! I argued the point saying well you can't guarantee someone who has go use their glasses for short or long sited vision! and that they can't guarantee they will wear them either but that argument was going nowhere!

The one concern with daylight hours depending on your working area you need to take into account if you do further distance charters, then you will need to make allowances for any major delays that could affect you getting back inside your daylight hours. Good Luck.

Thanks for that I'll contact the MCA on Mon.

Does that mean I still do the night passage stuff on the commercial course?
Old 07 August 2011, 09:21   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Yes, I did and actually did not have any issues with it.

Old 07 August 2011, 12:35   #7

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Bummer. New user name then?
Old 07 August 2011, 12:43   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
...Brownthunder! now there's a thought to hold on to
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2011, 11:21   #9

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Redthunder - You need to get the ml5 medical done by your GP (which will presumably be a fail on the colour test). Then speak to the MCA and book yourself a two mile lantern test (these are free of charge). If you pass the lantern test then you will get an unrestricted ml5 medical certificate assuming the rest of the medical was a pass. If you fail the lantern test then complete the last section on the ml5 form and send it to the MCA for review.

I did the above & they issued me with an ml5 restricted to daylight hours only.

Chris
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 17:35   #10

Yup just did lantern test only the 1 mile one. Failed!! Will now send off to see if I can get a daylight only endorsement. Thanks for the help
Old 20 August 2011, 07:19   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by redthunder
Yup just did lantern test only the 1 mile one. Failed!! Will now send off to see if I can get a daylight only endorsement. Thanks for the help
I was surprised just how hard the lantern test was. I did the 2 mile test and failed it.

Make sure you complete the part 4 of the ml5 fully, including type of vessel you want to work on, length of vessel, category of water, distance from safe haven, hours of operation, etc.

Chris
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2011, 11:28   #12

Town: Porthtowan
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 30hp Outboard
Hi Chris what endorsement did you get in the end? and do you know what are the other endorsements that can be issued?

I've just done my ML5 and had a problem with the Ishihara plate test. Pointing towards me having a red green color deficiency. I've never had a problem before and the doctor said my results were strange as some of the cards that would of shown a definite color blindness I got with out any problem. I've booked my lantern test for early next year.

I'm really wondering what my employment outlook would be like if I get a day time only endorsement?

Is a commercial ticket required to do safety boat work on construction projects etc?

Regards

Ross
Old 15 December 2011, 12:37   #13

RIBase
My ML5 was restricted to "daylight hours only". I believe it can also be marked "not suitable for solo night watches". I have used it to commercially endorse my Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence exam.

I am not expecting it to restrict my work too badly, other than during the winter months with the short days.

I would guess that any commercial work would require a commercially endorsed qualification that covers the category of water you are working in, but others on here will be able to give better advice than me.
Old 15 December 2011, 14:19   #14

Town: Porthtowan
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 30hp Outboard
Thanks of the info. Good point about the shorter day light hours.
Old 15 December 2011, 16:09   #15

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
This won't help you get your medical unless you do some serious cheating but if you found yourself needing to distinguish between red and green, carrying a couple of pieces of gel filter will help you. You need a deep magenta (pink) and a deep cyan (skyblue). The magenta will allow red light through but almost completely block green light so, looking though the magenta a green light will disappear but a red one will be visible. Similarly but opposite colour using the cyan filter. It might be worth keeping on the boat or in your pocket.
Old 15 December 2011, 18:27   #16

RIBase
I have a set of filters on a lanyard which are specifically designed for use at sea by people with colour blindness. 90% of the time I can distinguish the lights at night no problem, but it's a useful backup in case I am uncertain. The filters were purchased from force4 chandlers.

On my advanced exam I had the filters round my neck, and had declared to the examiner that I may use them. In the end I only used them once in the 4 hours we were out on the water in the dark just to double check one light (white or green ?). Found all the unlit marks no problem without really needing the filters, but it's worth having them for peace of mind.