Old 16 April 2009, 10:05   #1

Town: Isle of Wight
Length: no boat
Commercial advice needed...

I work overseas and am back in the UK for 3 x 30 days per year. I live on the Isle of Wight when home and am looking to qualify for a Commercial License.
What is the best route for me and which school/s would you recommend for:

1. Intensive course up to and including license for 20 miles from safe haven?

2. Is there any way part of these courses can be studied online (whilst I am away) in preparation for exams etc?

3. Can the lot be done on one or two of my months off?

4. I have no “logged” hours, but have some basic knowledge of Nav and rules of road etc. I understand I need a First Aid, VHF and Survival cert...are these included in the courses?

5. Is Advanced Power Boat enough or would I need to take Yachtmaster?

Any advice would be very welcome, thanks for your time.
Rich
Old 16 April 2009, 10:11   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I think advanced powerboat can be used for some licenses but not sure which?
Old 16 April 2009, 12:47   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Adv Cert of Comp

Rich

Assuming you have some existing expereinece then yes it is all perfectly achievable in your month of.

Basically you need to work up to RYA/MCA Advanced Certificate of Competence. There are several schools that can run this, we are based in Southampton and do a 3 week course.

http://www.stormforce.biz/superbaske...rtsboat+Driver

We run this course every month. Following this 3 week foundation course you would need a further 3 days prep and exam for the certificate of competence.

Alternativly we could bespoke a package that suits you based o what you have done before.

drop me an email with a summary of your experience and I will send you some more details.
Old 16 April 2009, 13:46   #4

Hi

Is it to drive open powerboats or cruisers as that might affect your choice? My background is PB for what it's worth. Lots of schools on here will do that for you I'm sure, but I did a bespoke version of the course a while ago with stormforce and thoroughly recommend them. You can do a lot of nav theory beforehand by getting the RYA nav book and also might help to get a couple of solent charts and try and get some of the major points of boating interest committed to memory. As I didn't know the solent too well beforehand that would have helped me, as it all helps to make sense of your scribbled notes when whizzing around at night.
Old 17 April 2009, 09:30   #5

Many thanks for your replies. I'll look into doing the Nav. element from the RYA either online or from books. Prefer online due to my location, getting most of the theroy under my belt before starting a course should help. Does an online Nav. theory element exist? If so does anyone know where from?

Doing the course in 1 month and hour building seems the way forward (I am prepared to hour build although I have 50/60k miles as watch keeper on 20-30k Tonnes vessels etc under my belt when I was younger spending 2/3 years at sea, but misplaced my seamams discharge book years ago etc), so will be looking to book early next year during one of my months off.

Now, all I need is a 11/12 seater (min) twin outboard RIB (with trailer) with Nav. and safety eqiupment installed. 50/60 kts, economical(ish lol) and RELIABLE. All ideas and experiences from operators using different RIB manufacturers welcome, including down time waiting for spares etc.

Many Thanks

Rich
Old 17 April 2009, 10:48   #6

Length: 5m +
Online courses

Doing the DaySkipper nav course first would be helpful, there's a thread discussing distance learning courses at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php?Number=948516.

I did mine classroom based which is preferable, but if DL is your only option then go for that.
Old 17 April 2009, 13:37   #7

If you are after correspondance we reckon Ocean Training is the market leader.

http://www.oceantraining.com/
Old 17 April 2009, 17:44   #8

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I did my YM theory with Chichester marine on t'internet very pleased and impressed by the course, and that doesn't happen easily?

http://www.cmonline.co.uk/cmoframese...mocourses.html

You'd be hard pressed to toe a 12 metre Rib without an LGV, I can't see the package you are looking at coming in at under 3.5 Te

When you are qualified as you have previous merchant marine experience, I'd be interested in putting some work your way as I'm turning work away at the moment, which I hate doing!

When you say you were a watch keeper does this mean you have a mates ticket or an OOW ticket.
Old 19 April 2009, 09:18   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
You'd be hard pressed to toe a 12 metre Rib without an LGV, I can't see the package you are looking at coming in at under 3.5 Te
and very few ribs will do 60 knots, especially with 2 engines and 12 people on board... and very unlikely to be economical if they do. you're into raceboat territory.

the sweedish do that sort of thing for adventure rides - but not sure we get enough suitable weather to actually build a business round it (if you paid for a 60 knot thrill ride, would you be happy with a 30 knot bumpy ride?)
Old 14 May 2009, 14:23   #10

Many thanks for your replies. Sorry its taken a while to get back to you, but stuck in the desert in the middle of somewhere very sandy and hot at the moment. BTW The locals arent "friendly" LOL

Rogue wave, in response to towing a rib, I have BE, C1E and D1E endorsements, wonder if empty main vehicle and loaded trailer with total wieght overall of less than 12t would do it? Not sure, advice welcome on that.... As for my old skills, well I trained as Deck Officer for 3 years with a company that decided to go bankrupt before the end of my training, so never finished the course. We are talking 18 years ago, so I wont count it as anything, just a great experience. I will be starting from scratch so to speak.

Turning away work? I presume Coded rib/safety boat work? Good to see some people are keeping their heads above water (excuse pun) in this recession!

I need to make sure I have the following facts correct, correct me if I am wrong...

To carry fee paying passengers or to operate in any "fee" payable role on a vessel less than 24m, a Commercial license is required. The norm is the yachtmaster (motor) with commercial endorsement to carry up to 12 passengers. Distance from safehaven depends on "code" of vessel, but norm is 20 miles, max 60 miles?

Natural progression is Day Skipper, Coastal Skipper, Yachtmaster?

The quickest route to Yachtmaster is around 14-16 weeks intensive fast-track?

Or am I completely of the track here and Coastal Skipper is sufficent, but limits to certain distance from safehaven (ie 3 miles etc?)

Thoughts and advice welcome.

Polwart, I understand, British coastal waters are more suited to 30/40 knts at best.
Old 14 May 2009, 18:42   #11

....the above is for "Cruising/Motorboat".

For power boat/RIBS, correct me if I am wrong:

Power boat 1, 2, intermediate, Advanced Powerboat with commercial endorsement?

I presume most skippers take this second route as it gives you 20 miles from safe haven day and night? With a Coded vessel, up to 12 passengers with "one" crew? Or am I wrong?

Are there length restrictions defining "Power boat"? ie I presume most skippers use 7/8/9+ mtrs (which is what I would be looking at), or is power boat just defined as not having an enclosed cockpit/cooking facilities as long as under 15m?

Can the hours/part hours gained with the powerboat route be used towards the Yachtmaster quals at a later date?

How would an insurance company look at a "newly" qualified skipper with less than 12months experience looking to conduct Commercial operations? Would they roll on the floor laughing and treat you as if you were a 17 year old who has just passed their driving test and wishing to insure a new Aston Martin?

Lots of questions, I know, but your experience and advice is welcome.

Regards

Sandyeyes
Old 14 May 2009, 22:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
I did my YM theory with Chichester marine on t'internet very pleased and impressed by the course, and that doesn't happen easily?

http://www.cmonline.co.uk/cmoframese...mocourses.html

When you are qualified as you have previous merchant marine experience, I'd be interested in putting some work your way as I'm turning work away at the moment, which I hate doing!

When you say you were a watch keeper does this mean you have a mates ticket or an OOW ticket.

Rouge wave, tried sending you a PM but your inbox is full.
Old 15 May 2009, 07:14   #13

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Hi Sandy
I can help you acheive your qualifications Isle of Wight Based Powerboat School East Cowes Marina running 99% of the courses you need we dont do sea survival but will recommend a couple of good places.
Plenty of Online Schools offering theory have a look at www.rya.org.uk or take the recommended ones on here or do a 5 day intensive with me .
Followed by VHF DSC First Aid Level 2 Intermediate then Advanced .
After that you will need to build up some sea miles before you go on to take the commercial endorsement can arrange that for you as well.

Or you could go to Doug on the English side of the Solent nice people .

All the best
Tim
Old 15 May 2009, 09:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin View Post
Hi Sandy
I can help you acheive your qualifications Isle of Wight Based Powerboat School East Cowes Marina running 99% of the courses you need we dont do sea survival but will recommend a couple of good places.
Plenty of Online Schools offering theory have a look at www.rya.org.uk or take the recommended ones on here or do a 5 day intensive with me .
Followed by VHF DSC First Aid Level 2 Intermediate then Advanced .
After that you will need to build up some sea miles before you go on to take the commercial endorsement can arrange that for you as well.

Or you could go to Doug on the English side of the Solent nice people .

All the best
Tim
Many thanks Tim. Makes more sense to do it on my side of the Solent, will be in touch when I get back to UK.

Regards

Rich
Old 15 May 2009, 13:52   #15

Rich

What you have said is basically right. Length of boat is in all cases 24m so Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence and Coastal Skipper Certificate of Competence effectivly qualify you for the same. Traditionally ADv PB is used for RIBs and CS is used for larger craft.

The Code simply allows you to use either, it simply state that you must have relevent experience in the type of craft you intend to drive commercially.

For RIB Charter ADv PB CoC is the norm at the moment.
Old 15 May 2009, 14:16   #16

Many thanks Doug.

Advanced power boat (commercial) is the route I shall be going then. Cant wait to swap this desert for sea LOL.

Regards

Rich
Old 15 May 2009, 19:44   #17

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
pm box less full now
Old 15 May 2009, 21:59   #18