Old 20 July 2008, 04:54   #1

Town: Crawley
Boat name: Cossack
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 75 hp 2 str
MMSI: 235067342
CODING Query

Just bought a nice/tidy 4 yr old 5.4m commercial rescue spec Avon Searider that was coded to June of last year. Not knowing much about 'coding' wondered what peoples thoughts were about getting the coding back up to date.

Boat will be used normally as a safety boat for sailing and basic powerboat trainer for Sea Cadet unit.

I assume if it is coded it could subject to approprate insurance be hired out? (or with a driver if with a commercial endorsement?)

I've got to have it surveyed before use anyway, so does it make sense to sort out the coding too ?
Old 20 July 2008, 13:00   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Obviously you don't need it coded to use as a safety boat or for powerboat training for your cadet group.

In order to get it coded you will have the added expense of liferaft, extra insurance and a load of other kit you might not have on it at the moment. This might be quite hard to stow in a 5.4 Searider. If it was coded then yes, you could take paying passengers out in it as long as you were a commercially endorsed skipper. You might struggle to get many passengers in it though, which means you might have a job actually "selling" it to many people. Presumably it has the standard three man seat in it? You could possibly pimp it out as a marshalling boat for events, or take a photographer out in it though.

All IMHO of course.
Old 20 July 2008, 16:59   #3

Town: Crawley
Boat name: Cossack
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 75 hp 2 str
MMSI: 235067342
Thanks Tim
Pretty much what I expected someone to say.

Knowing its history I'm uncertain as to why the boat was ever coded, but I don't think I'll bother to get it back to that spec.