Old 29 January 2005, 16:40   #1

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
coding my rib

Put this in the rib gallery by mistake

I have been in the process of potentially coding my rib, the intent would be to code it for the Solent. I have a list of parts that are required, which to be honest is what i would put on the boat anyway ......apart for a liferaft!

My questions are

1) where is the best place to get coding information as i got my list from a secondhand source. That is readable.
2) Will i need a liferaft for the Solent, if so i may drop the idea. I am sure the ribs i have seen dont have a liferaft...but i could be wrong

Advice welcome please. I have my commerical endorsment and all that jaz
Old 29 January 2005, 16:57   #2
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Have a look in the commercial section. There are heaps of questions (and replys ) about the same thing there

< Edit: I've moved this thread to the commercial section now! JK >

Also check out the MCA website http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-gu...ions_-_mgn.htm and download MGN 280 (M). This gives you the things you will need to get your boat up to spec.
Old 29 January 2005, 17:12   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Also worth looking at this:

Pete

http://www.ceproof.com/CEproof_Marine.htm
Old 29 January 2005, 20:59   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Coding for the Solent can be done in three maybe 4 places. The maybe being Southampton cos they were gonna start doing it again. John Kidman at VTS is your man to ask?

Eastleigh, Lymington and Portsmouth ( ho ho ho 2 - 1) My understanding is that Eastleigh Council is a bunch of do nothing dipshi*s and aren't worth bothering with. I know nothing about Lymington so I will tell you all I know about Portsmouth,

Firstly they are not in the 5th round of the FA Cup!

but your specific question about Liferafts is that the coding in Portsmouth is done by the Pilots office and the view thay take is that if the Rib has grabrails it doesnot require a Liferaft. It costs 80 quid an covers a thirty mile radius of Portsmouth and is a yearly ticket. Coding costa about a monkey in admin and lasts five years and lets you work anywhere. The rest of the safety requiremants are fairly harmonised.

If you do it and need any work let me know as weare getting a lot of enquiries at the moment!

Is CEproof Duncan? if it is he is Searider on this forum and knows his stuff!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2005, 08:34   #5

Rogue and all, thanks for the info, i have printed a copy of the MCA coding as well
Old 31 January 2005, 08:39   #6

Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Coding for the Solent can be done in three maybe 4 places. The maybe being Southampton cos they were gonna start doing it again. John Kidman at VTS is your man to ask?

Eastleigh, Lymington and Portsmouth ( ho ho ho 2 - 1) My understanding is that Eastleigh Council is a bunch of do nothing dipshi*s and aren't worth bothering with. I know nothing about Lymington so I will tell you all I know about Portsmouth,

Firstly they are not in the 5th round of the FA Cup!

but your specific question about Liferafts is that the coding in Portsmouth is done by the Pilots office and the view thay take is that if the Rib has grabrails it doesnot require a Liferaft. It costs 80 quid an covers a thirty mile radius of Portsmouth and is a yearly ticket. Coding costa about a monkey in admin and lasts five years and lets you work anywhere. The rest of the safety requiremants are fairly harmonised.

If you do it and need any work let me know as weare getting a lot of enquiries at the moment!

Is CEproof Duncan? if it is he is Searider on this forum and knows his stuff!
Yes,

Tis me. Thanks for the compliment - I would give you a green blob but they are no more.

At the moment the Eastleigh Borough Council certification is a bit up in the air. They are changing the surveying from being done by a Warsash based independent surveyor to the Hamble Harbour Master. This is due to happen in April. In the meantime I have carried out some of the inspections for them.

To get a copy of the requirements call Eloise Travis at Eastleigh Borough Council and she will e-mail you a copy of the requirements.

Having said that £80 for the Portsmouth Pilots to do the inspection looks like very good value.

Regards

Duncan
Old 31 January 2005, 17:08   #7
ozz

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: bojangles
Make: scorpion
Engine: yanmar
I am trying to do the same thing at the moment and found this site useful if you are going to use Portsmouth as the issuing authority.

http://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/pmsc/

It outlines the requirements and forms are available online.

Not having much joy at getting hold of them though...

Cheers

Ozz
Old 31 January 2005, 17:47   #8

Thanks OZZ

I have been on to eastleigh today and i think the same rules apply, i will check the link. Heres an email i sent to someone today, it a bit untidy, but i'm sure you get the gist. It work in progress

""""Hi both

I have attached the material I got from Eastleigh. After reading the material I think the following applies

From earlier discussions MCA doc - to get to cat 4 (which includes cat 5 and 6)” Anyway, I figure the best coding an open rib (without cabin) can expect is cat 4, with is 20 miles from safe haven, in daylight and reasonable weather” .However this needs a liferaft e.g.
Constructed to SOLAS standard, but equipped to “SOLAS B PACK”
If you look at the Eastleigh material, It seems that the registration is the same depending where you register, you can register at many places (including Portsmouth and Chichester). So I think the comment I mentioned about Portsmouth Pilots refers to this document in some method.
There are 4 Category of vessel. Cat 4 will align with the MCAs codings (thus a liferaft will be needed to the spec above). However if I read the documentation properly, Cat 3 needs basically the same equipment as Cat 4, but
“but in addition to the 1 life jacket per person there shall be buoyant apparatus which together with the 2 lifebuoys in Category 1A shall be of sufficient aggregate capacity to support all on board. This may include DTp approved lifebuoys (a 800mm lifebuoy is considered sufficient to support two persons and a 610mm lifebuoy one person), DTp approved buoyant apparatus, liferafts or the vessel, provided that it has sufficient internal buoyancy to remain afloat and is fitted with suitable grablines, keel grab rails or bilge keels.”
Cat 3 Areas of operation
Normal and rough weather = Smooth and/or Partial smooth waters .
Very rough weather = smooth waters
In their classification rough = (1.2 to 2.5m) and very rough = (2.4 to 4m)
Areas of operation
1) Sheltered waters. They should not extend more that 15 miles from base exclusive of smooth waters or 3 miles from land
2) If you register at Chichester then smooth water is from a line drawn between Eastoke point and the spire, West Wittering. And Partially smooth, Inside the IOW bounderd by Needles to Trinty point and West Wittering, spire to basically Benmridge.
So if I read this correctly then cat C can operate within the boundaries of IOW as above providing the that weather state is rough, if it very rough you have to basically stay in the harbour. Also if my reading is correct, then a liferaft is not needed providing that it has sufficient internal buoyancy and GRABLINES
I have attached the doc for you to read. It all seems to line up with the comments other people have given me."
Old 31 January 2005, 18:17   #9

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
Jimbob

Couple of thoughts:

- I have no experienece of coding a RIB for operation soley in the Solent but have coded a few for elsewhere. The way your post reads is that what you need to do is pretty much the same as for full MCA coding, in which case why Solent code rather than MCA code? I imagine it is cheaper (in terms of survey costs) but does the saving justify the limits that you will place on your operation? With a 7.5m Scorpion you have an attractive boat for Corporate Entertainment and you may find that the money you initially save is materially offset by the revenue you lose from being unable to go further afield.
- We have coded two Scorpions, if you want to chat through things give me a bell
- One really good list we found of the kit you need for coding is available from Ribcraft - they will send you out a document if you happen to be thinking about buying & coding one of their craft
- I take it you've seen the various coding threads knocking about in this section on RIB.net

Regards

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2005, 08:02   #10

Paul

Thanks, i will call

Basically its down to

1) Solent being the main capture area
2) Liferaft - e.g price

But your point is a good one, apart from the liferaft the rest of the boat is ready
Old 01 February 2005, 08:15   #11

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Jimbob
if you go the way of Local Authority Coding that is fine most of the work is Solent based anyway . If as Paul said you want to work further afield then has to be MCA . Plenty of people in this game in the Solent so the ability to offer something further afield could be an advantage to you in terms of marketing .I run a mixture of coded boats MCA and local and fit the boat to the job. It boils down to where you think your client base is what type of work you intend to do ie corporate , media cover , event cover then where are you going to get this work from and who . The easy bit is getting the boat coded MCA or Local Authority the hard bit is getting the work and are you available 7 day's a week or just weekends and holiday's .
All the best Tim
Old 01 February 2005, 08:30   #12

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
Jimbob
The easy bit is getting the boat coded MCA or Local Authority the hard bit is getting the work and are you available 7 day's a week or just weekends and holiday's .
All the best Tim
that's a fact!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2005, 11:42   #13

Hi all

Heres my thinking behind all of this

1) I started out kitting it out and decided that checking the MCA requirements as this is a good way of getting my boat to what i would consider safe - Paul knows when i did my ADI i like to be very safe. So part from the liferaft I'm there, apart from a couple of meters of chain!

2) With regard to charter work, thats an option, but as you stated it will be about flexibility.

As ever good feedback Guys
Old 01 February 2005, 12:29   #14

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Plaything
Make: H2O
Engine: mariner 225 optimax
Petrol tanks

Also considering.... but

under the regs petrol must be carried via portable 27litre plastic fuel tanks.

Most bigger ribs come with underdeck tanks, anyone else come across this and found a way around it ?

Alan
Old 01 February 2005, 12:43   #15

alanc, there this

7.3.1.2 Vessels other than inflatable boats should supply fuel to the engine from either;

.1 a permanently installed fuel tank constructed to an appropriate standard (see Standards
Annex 13) and in the case of vessels fitted with a watertight weather deck shall have
arrangements such that spillage during fuel handling will drain directly overboard; or

.2 a portable tank of 27 litres or less in capacity complying to an appropriate standard (see
Standards Annex 13).
Old 01 February 2005, 13:58   #16

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Plaything
Make: H2O
Engine: mariner 225 optimax
Thanks but go on to 7.3.1.3 re inflatable boats. This says specifically you should use tanks of less than 27 litres.

Is a Rib different to an 'inflatible boat' for the purposes of the code ? waiting for a response from the MCA so all will become clear in time....

Please , please prove me wrong - I really really want to be wrong as would solve my problem (or one of them !!!)
Old 01 February 2005, 14:42   #17

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Yep, your wrong, have a read of the deffinitions at the beginning of the regs.

Pete
Old 06 February 2005, 12:28   #18
ozz

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: bojangles
Make: scorpion
Engine: yanmar
For info, got hold of Portsmouth pilots this week, if you are going the local authority route they have now adopted the harmonised codes and you now require a liferaft whereas before you didn't.

On another subject, anyone know a half decent accountant in Portsmouth area that can advise on what you can and can't claim for regarding depreciation etc when setting up as a sole trader but still using boat for pleasure as well?