Town: Scotland
Boat name: Skua
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki df250 4stroke
Coding for occasional charter use

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
That seems to be a characteristic of these (and most other marine) standards. They are often open to interpretation and two surveyors may have different takes on the application of the same rule.

Surveyors also have their own likes and dislikes and whilst something may appear to be black and white, a surveyor will use their own judgement in laying down the law.

I'm very much of the opinion of engage with the surveyor early - they are generally (but not always) very helpful.

Absolutely agree re surveyor. I would make the contact initially explain what I plan to do. If coding I would do as much as I thought needed done/ purchased, get the survey done and you’ll have a wee list of things he wants done/ purchased. Tick those off and your away.
Re the woolliness of regs that’s the same here on the east coast. I could probably technically not code my boats as pretty much stay in categorised waters. Aim for the highest standard though. Get it coded cat 4 or 3(r) and get your apb commercially endorsed. Op and boat will be squeaky clean then

Old 16 July 2019, 16:09   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
. I do think however that pb2 commercially endorsed will quite soon be useless when mgn is updated to fall in line with the new workboat code. I would say rightfully so as it’s a world apart from advanced PB. It has little that would prepare you to take responsibility for passengers at sea.

I’d agree with you in principal, although there are little ferries operating in places that never go out of site of their base, do 1/2 mile or less between points and probably wouldn’t keep the average APB skipper entertained for long. Some of those skippers will only have a PB2 but will be more expert at handling that boat in those waters than a newly qualified APB. I’ve seen some supposedly experienced APB helms who I wouldn’t want taking out a bunch of passengers.
Old 17 July 2019, 01:03   #33

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Skua
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki df250 4stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I’d agree with you in principal, although there are little ferries operating in places that never go out of site of their base, do 1/2 mile or less between points and probably wouldn’t keep the average APB skipper entertained for long. Some of those skippers will only have a PB2 but will be more expert at handling that boat in those waters than a newly qualified APB. I’ve seen some supposedly experienced APB helms who I wouldn’t want taking out a bunch of passengers.

Yep all true
Old 17 July 2019, 04:47   #34

Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner F150
MMSI: 235107505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
....That seems to be a characteristic of these (and most other marine) standards. They are often open to interpretation and two surveyors may have different takes on the application of the same rule.

Surveyors also have their own likes and dislikes and whilst something may appear to be black and white, a surveyor will use their own judgement in laying down the law.....
Absolutely.
The boat I fought with the surveyor over for months (the safety rails are two inches too low, the weather-deck is too low, too much "free water space" etc. magically passed coding three weeks after I sold it on with no modifications.

Basically I was "mugged" by the surveyor.
Old 17 July 2019, 05:57   #35
RIBnet Supporter

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Absolutely.
The boat I fought with the surveyor over for months (the safety rails are two inches too low, the weather-deck is too low, too much "free water space" etc. magically passed coding three weeks after I sold it on with no modifications.

Basically I was "mugged" by the surveyor.
Pfffft! Wee buns - I overheard the following conversation on a boat being surveyed for coding renewal.

Surveyor: "This boat can't be recoded for this class - it's not suitable. Who surveyed it last?"

Skipper: "Your boss."

Surveyor: "Nice boat, I'll send you on the papers..."

Old 17 July 2019, 08:30   #36

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
RIBase
Interesting thread especially since I have had Grey Mist MCA Coded to CAT3 (R) WORKBOAT endorsed . The difference in equipment between CAT4 and CAT3(R) is that the lifejackets must have an approved light, a floating light with rope on the lifebuoys and a searchlight onboard.
First hand I can tell you that the required safety and survival equipment is not cheap so if you will not be doing this as a business on a regular basis it is not worth coding the rib.
I am doing it part time (Grey Mist Rib Charter )but when the time comes to sell the rib she will sell better as a coded rib

Best of luck whichever option you choose