Old 25 September 2013, 17:00   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
charter scam

Have just had a warning through PCA concerning someone trying to ordered a boat charter

>Hello,
>
>Do you have boat available for booking from 23rd to 26th 0ctober,
>2013.The number of guest to expect is 4 people.
>Get back to me if you have opening for reservation during my stated date.
>
>Warm Regards,
>John Reeves
>7 St. Vincent Street Glasgow
>G2 5NW
>Scotland
>+447053825192

Checks made suggest this is a scam, Also on a forum elsewhere with similar notes.
One of our members states
7 St Vincent Street Glasgow every year for the last 8 years on average twice a year using a variety of different names always the same format and guest numbers – others have had a similar experience

Last year on behalf of charters chair spoke to Glasgow Police – who were unable to offer any assistance

Here is a response from an inquiry with the scammer
Thanks for your email and for the total cost for the reservation which you have provided.i have concluded all payment arrangement.

As soon as you receive my card detail for payment,I will like you to take the following steps:

A) Make an total charge of £4,800 + bank charges from my card Detail.

B) Deduct the total deposit of £1,800 needed to secure book- a

C) send the balance of £3000 via bank transfer to the prepaid travel agent who will handle our traveling logistics which i will advice.

The travel agent is in charge of the procurement of flight tickets of guests to and fro.

However, because agent do not have credit card facility and for security reason,i have decided that ONLY YOU will have to handle the credit card information.

PLEASE CONFIRM IF THIS ARRANGEMENT IS OK.

Be warned, doing the rounds again
Old 25 September 2013, 21:27   #2

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
That's the scam used on loads of classified sites, biggest clue is 'warm regards'
Old 26 September 2013, 12:38   #3

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
What stops you keeping all the funds, it must clear in your bank before you do anything else
Old 26 September 2013, 13:08   #4
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
What stops you keeping all the funds, it must clear in your bank before you do anything else
Stolen credit card, charge back...
Old 26 September 2013, 16:30   #5

Surely there's a way of checking for a stolen card before it goes too far isn't there.
Old 26 September 2013, 17:09   #6

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post

>Warm Regards,
>John Reeves
>7 St. Vincent Street Glasgow
>G2 5NW
>Scotland
>+447053825192

Last year on behalf of charters chair spoke to Glasgow Police – who were unable to offer any assistance
I can understand why the Glasgow Police were unable to offer assistance
St Vincent Street in Glasgow .. numbering starts at No 48 ..there aint no number 7.

Around 1930 the lower numbers of St Vincent St disappeared and are now part of St Vincent Place which runs from No2 to No 40

Just a piece of useless info from a local :-D

My bet is it originated in Nigeria
It is Nigeria's biggest form of employment ..scamming the world.
Old 26 September 2013, 17:12   #7

At least the thieving twats are staying in there own country. Got to be half a result
Old 26 September 2013, 17:20   #8

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Surely there's a way of checking for a stolen card before it goes too far isn't there.
Nope unfortunately. If the card turns out to be stolen, the money gets swiped back out of the merchant's account. Luckily it has not had it happened to me in this industry, but I used to run a business selling mobile phone accessories over the internet and lost a considerable amount of money to stolen credit cards, all for goods which had been delivered to addresses in the Ilford area.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2013, 17:42   #9

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
To add a little about scamming in general ..

I had an email not so long back..wanting to buy something which I was advertising on the net.

It was the usual E mail story..Im at sea but really want to buy your .XYZ as a present for my father.. and can I give him my pay pal details so he can pay me, then he will send his Agent round to collect the XYZ

This immediately started alarm bells in my head as no one would send an agent round to collect something I was selling for 40 quid. I replied that I only accepted cheques or money.

He wrote back asking for my address so he could send his agent round with the money and he would collect the XYZ.

I tracked his IP address from the emails and found it to be in deepest Nigeria.. miles from any sea..so I emailed him back with a google map of his IP address and said..best you meet my Agents here and we can discuss the sale. I never heard from him again.

I believe that scam works something like this if I had kept the correspondance up..

he then tells me that he will also pay his agents fee into my paypal account as he cant pay him direct. The money is all paid into my paypal account.. which could be 1000 squid for his agents fees to collect plus my 40 quid for XYZ. Im happy cos I have the money in paypal .. the agent comes and collects the XYZ and his 1000 quid fee which Im happy to give because its all in my pay pal account.

Then the scammer tells paypal that he never received the goods from me.. so Paypal who always protect the buyer.. take the money back out my account and return it to the scammers.. The scammers have then done me for 1040 quid and my goods.

NB..This was explained to me by a third part, when I wondered how the scam worked. I may be a bit wrong with the Pay Pal explanation..as I dont have a pay pal account or know how it all works..but the explanation seemed to make sense of how its done. If anyone is familliar with the workings of this scam.. please correct my explanation if I have picked it up wrong.
Old 26 September 2013, 18:26   #10

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I'd ring the Scam Victim's Helpline.

All you have to do is send them their £300 administration fee and they'll start work on your case with immediate effect...
Old 26 September 2013, 20:31   #11

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
You get paid via some distant bank or western union money transfer, the funds are available in your UK bank after the normal amount of time however these payments can take months to go through the clearing system so you think you have the cash and send on your payment, after a time the payment bounces and your out of pocket.
Old 26 September 2013, 21:30   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
This really happened:-

Guy walks into a dealer friend of mine & buys a £5k outboard & pays on his credit card, says he'll be back in a couple of days to collect. A couple of days later he rings my mate & says he can't get, but his brother is calling to collect the engine & he'll be there in half an hour, sure enough, half hour later bloke turns up says "I've come to collect an engine" loads it up & drives off (bear with me, you can see where this is going) Ten minutes later, another bloke turns up & says that he's come to collect engine for his brother. Credit card company claws back the 5 grand & my mate is an engine down, barstewards. Police not interested.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2013, 08:29   #13
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
This really happened:-

Guy walks into a dealer friend of mine & buys a £5k outboard & pays on his credit card, says he'll be back in a couple of days to collect. A couple of days later he rings my mate & says he can't get, but his brother is calling to collect the engine & he'll be there in half an hour, sure enough, half hour later bloke turns up says "I've come to collect an engine" loads it up & drives off (bear with me, you can see where this is going) Ten minutes later, another bloke turns up & says that he's come to collect engine for his brother. Credit card company claws back the 5 grand & my mate is an engine down, barstewards. Police not interested.
That's exactly how I bought my last two engines except that I didn't go to the dealers but paid over the phone once reviewed the pictures. My mate who is down in the SW then went in to collect.

Good job there are still a few trusting people out there!