Old 07 March 2006, 14:35   #1
pop

Town: Paihia
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: indoard yam 420 sti
charter help

Ello people

I am trying to get a rib ready for charter. After reading the other threads on this i understand that you can get a solent license and mca license. can you tell me what the difference between them is cost wise. also who i contact to get this done thanks guys

fun times
Old 07 March 2006, 14:48   #2

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
duncan at www.saundersmorganharris.com (searider on this forum) is a helpful chap for this kind of thing
Old 07 March 2006, 17:07   #3

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
I would ask yourself what your market is first

The Solent code (Cat D waters) ,e.g from Hirst to the Needles and bembridge to Chichester areas (approx) - 80 quid a year. The requirement for equipment is basically the same as the MCA code e.g the main difference used to be not having a liferaft, now you do.

MCA code - depends how far you want to go, but the best coding you can generally get for a rib is Cat 4 which i think is 20 miles from safe haven ( i dont have MGN280 in front of me). MCA code is also stricter on fuel lineS and having a fuel value for example. Dont know how much the MCA one is but lasts longer

Lots of people talk about coding, but unless you have a market then it does not pay. Also insurance and qualifications become important.

Hope this helps a little
Old 07 March 2006, 18:28   #4
pop

I have all the qualifications to do this, the insurance is no problem. I know that you dont make much from this. i thought it would be a fun way to spend 6 months of the year as i work hard for the other 6 months racing maxi yachts around the world. any more info would be great thanks
Old 07 March 2006, 18:40   #5

Town: Calshot
Boat name: Swan Song
Make: LM 27
Engine: Bukh 20
MMSI: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop
I have all the qualifications to do this, the insurance is no problem. I know that you dont make much from this. i thought it would be a fun way to spend 6 months of the year as i work hard for the other 6 months racing maxi yachts around the world. any more info would be great thanks

Pop
Ask Moo!He'll have some ideas for you
Old 07 March 2006, 21:07   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop

Sounds like a REALLY hard life........
Old 07 March 2006, 21:14   #7
pop

It has its ups and downs but i like it. Is it easy enough to get the solent license?
Old 08 March 2006, 07:50   #8

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Hi Pop

Not difficult to obtain the local Licence so long as your boat is well specced.
The work is not easy to come by. I see alot of people setting up as a charter company some make something some give up. It seems easy to code your boat and expect to make a living from it but the reality is it is a very competitve market and unless you have good contacts in the Industry (You could have as a Sailor/Racer of Maxi Yachts ) and can provide what the client wants in the Solent area then go for it .
Good luck with it pm me if you want to chat about it further or call me .07876 623124.
Old 08 March 2006, 08:11   #9

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
Pop , mine is coded for the Solent, i can tell you exactly what you will need to do

1) Portsmouth have a web site with all the info on there, there is a check list to follow, providing you follow (e.g all the bits) then you will be home and dry.

2) In the past they would give you a licence with exceptions, now they want to have proof of these before they issue. e.g last year had an exception of a liferaft, basically saying that when in use it must be there. This year they will issue one once they have seen it, i have it so it makes no difference.

It not difficult to do, just need a little time and some money with you when you go to the chandlery
Old 08 March 2006, 11:55   #10
pop

thanks for your reply ill look up portsmouth web today and get on with it .

in regards to my contacts tim. i am fortunate to have friends like leopard of london and the big boats is the solent. i use to run a cougar for leopard not so long ago. it would be great to meet up and have a chat in the near future.

thanks guys
Old 08 March 2006, 12:20   #11

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
2002 the cougar broke down off of Yarmouth and we towed it in . I had the MD of Marinepool onboard as he supplied all of Lepoards Sailing gear . We may have met already.
Would be good to have a chat .
Regards
Old 08 March 2006, 12:54   #12
pop

Was not me mate. I was racing on the yacht from 2001. we are still wearing marine pool gear . but they are good sponsors but we also had canon. i am skipper of a j sixty and run three crews that are busy all year round, between racing leopard at the yearly events. i am puerly going into this because i am haveing my first child hence why i want to be in uk over the next season. i would like to talk to you about the up and coming season. i will be over in cowes tuesday next week pm me and we can grab a beer anytime ben