Old 31 March 2014, 20:46   #1

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
Career change

Thought I'd ask in here first, what is the boaty industry like for work, freelance, employed, etc. what are the going rates for the industry? & in which sectors?

I'm thinking of a career change. I'm a freelance race circuit instructor & automotive product expert doing motor industry launch events all over Europe. From lowly brands to the best in the world. So quite used to instructing & dealing with people on a daily basis. Based in Dorset but I currently travel extensively for my current work.

Thinking of getting into the boat side of things, which is currently just a hobby, but I would seriously consider boaty stuff an option. Have many years experience on the water, from boating to windsurfing, sailing etc.

What might you guys suggest the best route to take?
Old 01 April 2014, 23:09   #2

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
The marine industry is extremely varied from a Saturday boy cleaning boats to the Captain of the QE2!, as are the rates of pay!

If you are looking at the instructing / skippering / delivery side of things, the rates go from £60/day upto £200/day. There is usually plenty of work available during the season, but finding work over the winter is not always so easy. If you can be flexible with your current work, I would advise trying to make the change gradually, as it will take a while to get yourself known and build up a (hopefully good!) reputation.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2014, 08:27   #3

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
Thanks for that, yes certainly looking to ease my way into it, my current work is flexible as is