Old 13 October 2008, 13:58   #41

Town: Gothenburg
Make: Nimbus 26 Nova
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo Penta D4-260
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogib View Post
I am confident that the improvement of the 350 makes it even more suitable for charter application, fuel consumption is said to be somewhat less than 2nd generation I am running (275) also lot of improvement to gearcase.

I am to have mine February and am looking forward to it.

Will be trying one in US shortly

It is not intended to be racing engine although the racing department engineered this version

Bogi
Great the hear, the main idea behind using engines that are possibly more powerful than necessary is as Petrov described, to lower the average engine rpm by using bigger propps. I read on the Yamaha website that the V8 delivers 350hp on the propshaft which suggests that crankhorses is about 370-380. Remarkable IMO.
Old 22 October 2008, 06:24   #42

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Blue Phantom
Make: Sea Phantom
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2x250 Evinrude E-tec
Reliable engines and service

As Petrov wrote earlier on. Its very important with fast and reliable service. I had a crashed gearhouse in begining of July. After 550 hours. (the other gerahouse broke down at 320 hours, when the boat still was in UK)

Anyway the workshop orderd the parts from Europe central storage and got the reply that they had the parts on shelf. After 5-6 days the parts had,nt shown so they contact the storage agian. Now they got a different reply the had no parts in Europe they should order it from USA. Delivery from USA was delayed a few times so I ended up with no oprerational boat for 1 month during high seasson.

I know that it was pretty much the same story in UK with the other gearbox.

Other than that I like the E-tec. It has real good acceleration and seems to take reasonable with fuel. BUT THE SPAREPART SUPPLY is an important issue. When it is time to buy new motors I am not sure that it will be Evinrude again.

In Sweden Suzuki have a good reputation of service and parts as well as Mercury. BRP have a new agent for Scandinavia who is operated from Norway and they have to shape
up in my opinion.