Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21 April 2004, 14:40   #11
Trade member
tim griffin's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,859
John is right
for a boatmans license you need pb2 for day work and advanced for night work for a boat license the boat is inspected and if aok license issued via the local authority for a max of 12 passengers you are getting confused with MCA yellow code
regards tim
Tim Griffin
RYA Freelance YMI power Powerboat and PWC instructor trainer vhf first aid sea survival Diesel engine radar and navigation instructor
tim griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 October 2004, 05:31   #12
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 328
You don't need a liferaft.

I operate in cat D waters on the North Kent Coast.
There is a voluntary code which applies to these waters as until 4/2004 nothing other than local rules applied.
The code is the Inland Waters Small Passenger Boat Code.
This applies for commercial charter users in Cat a/b/c and d.

Be careful re assuming no liferaft required as in the event of a fire most boats may have to revert to plan B ie their raft. You will if the authority involved is switched on also be advised that in 4/2006 or during that year the "reccomendations" of the code will cease to be optional.

At present the code stresses the need for a risk assessment and unless you know for sure that your rib cannot have a serious fire you may find it difficult to justify not having one. This is a debatable point if you work in pairs.
Remember on those sunny days when it all goes well normally no worries emerge but if you find yourself involved in an incident the mere existance of an industry sourced mca code means that opt outs may have to be defended, in particular if clients were hurt etc.

One last thing , in 2006 or whenever the qualification to have will be boatmasters and at that time any diabetics be warned!! (but that is another story).

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 October 2004, 06:26   #13
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,556
There re several places you can get a local license( Hamble, Portsmouth, Lymington). We run two coded boats and three on local tickets.

The liferaft rule seems to be that if your rib has Grab rails then it doesn't need a liferaft. I got my tickets from Portsmouth harbour master (pilots) do the inspections and are very thorough. Costs 80 quid and is good for a year. Overall I think coding is about 40 % dearer over 5 years but think coding is a better ticket for commercial use

Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

« Diabetics | Top | Cheeky!!! »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:06.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.