Old 27 May 2008, 16:58   #1

Length: no boat
Anyone experience of australia?

hey all,

May have the opportunity to go to oz for 6 months or so with work in a couple of months and may try and combine that with some boat driving whilst out there. Does anyone know if the PB adv with commercial endorsement is accepted out there, or if not how i could get it converted? I have a few months before this may happen, so was thinking i could do this in UK before I go perhaps? RYA site had some info but mainly for yachtmasters - (which i dont have, yet)

cheers

steve
Old 27 May 2008, 23:36   #2

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Hi

Depends on what State you will be based in and what you want to do.

I assume recreational? If hiring, you will be restricted to sheltered waters and 10kn without a licence.

If no-one else on the forum has specific info, you'll need to check it directly with the State marine authority - there is nothing specific on the Victorian or Queensland web sites.

You may need a recreational boat licence, generally available as a test that one can easily pass with a few hours study, especially with prior boating knowledge.

But it can be a pain getting a licence. In Victoria is is virually equivalent to a drivers licence as it is a prime ID here and you need lots of ID, photos and have to book in advance and go to a centre to sit the test.
Old 28 May 2008, 01:15   #3

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Oh, Just noticed this is in the commercial section...Sorry can't help on the commercial advice. You would need to check out the Marine Safety website for the appropriate State.

Just to add on the recreational boating, a temporary resident can use an overseas licence. Vic Roads who do the licencing in Victoria, could not advise if a RYA certificate would be acceptable as a licence, but said it would be accecptable as proof of competency and therefore a licence could be issued without a test.

You could argue this out with a cop on the water, but it sounds like it would be relatively easy to sort out with the State authority when you are here.
Old 27 June 2008, 01:21   #4

Length: 7m +
transfer licence to Skippers Ticket

As the previous writers have said - it depends on which state you are going into. That said, you can get recognition for your qualifications in one state and they will recognise that in the other states.

If you are coming to Western Australia, we can help you out with all the paperwork etc and give you an interim certificate. The Department of Planning and Infrastructure dont do it, they get us to do it (us being Perth Boat School - www.perthboatschool.com.au ). For more info look at their website. www.dpi.wa.gov.au

Captain Mike
Perth Boat School
Old 27 June 2008, 11:45   #5

Length: no boat
hi both, thanks for the info. it's a fine line between staying with the employer and doing it as a sideline or properly going for the late 20's gap year option and trying to do some boating full time for a season!! is it a coxswain ticket i need that enables me to drive for cash? is that equivalent to the RYA advanced PB?

cheers,
steve