Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Commercial operators
Click Here to Login

Old 02 January 2013, 15:40   #1

Town: Lymington
Length: 6m +
Engine: 75Hp
Adv PB CoC - Coastal Skipper at best???

I hold a commercially endorsed Adv PB CoC inc PPR and a YM coastal theory cert with current, ongoing commercial experience. I am also a PBI & PWCI. The Training Manager at the RYA has just told me that in his eyes my competency is Coastal Skipper at best???? I want to become a Shorebased Instructor. To do this, he tells me I now need to be a APBI - RYA website currently being updated.
Can someone tell me what part of the APBI syllabus I have not covered or demonstrated by passing my Adv PB CoC examination?
I do not want to sit in an open boat at speed teaching people to drive in the dark (although I have proven I can do it) - I want to teach theory in the comfort of a classroom.....what further skills am I proving by passing my APBI.....other than I am capable of writing yet another cheque to the RYA for hundreds of pounds???? HNY to you all....
Old 02 January 2013, 15:53   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Maybe the best person to ask is the training manager at the RYA ? What you want to do and what you have to do can be two very differant things......

I'll get my coat ....
Old 02 January 2013, 17:06   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Maybe the best person to ask is the training manager at the RYA ? What you want to do and what you have to do can be two very differant things......

I'll get my coat ....
Umm, sorry but did the OP not say........ The Training Manager at the RYA has just told me that in his eyes my competency is Coastal Skipper at best???? I want to become a Shorebased Instructor. To do this, he tells me I now need to be a APBI

Old 02 January 2013, 17:20   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ranger View Post

Umm, sorry but did the OP not say........ The Training Manager at the RYA has just told me that in his eyes my competency is Coastal Skipper at best???? I want to become a Shorebased Instructor. To do this, he tells me I now need to be a APBI

My odd sense of humour failing me.... Surely the rya are the ones to ask...as they make the rules?...
Old 02 January 2013, 17:28   #5

Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
What do you want to teach shorebased?

I guess it wouldn't be out of the question to have the qualification that you want to teach?

Yacht master offshore theory would be essential?
Old 02 January 2013, 17:40   #6

Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Until a few year ago the pre requisite required to become a Shorebased Instructor was Yachtmaster Offshore CoC. , the theory being that if you were going to be teaching the YM shorebased course you should have some practical experience of putting it into practice. I don't think this is/was unreasonable.

More recently they also allowed Adv PBIs to become shorebased instructors, all be it they could (i believe) only teach the Dayskipper shorebased. I suspect this will shortly chance as the whole shorebased / advanced relationship is changing.

There were some who felt letting adv PBIs become shorebased instructors without having down the YM Offshore was opening a bit of a back door but is seems to have worked ok for teaching the lower levels.

At our centre you certainly will not find anyone teaching Yachtmaster Offshore shorebased to our Yachtmaster candidates if they have not at very least proved they have experience of putting the shorebased into practice by passing a Yachtmaster exam themselves. The shorebased courses are part of a much bigger training process

Anyway back to your questions.

Pre requisite are pre requisites and they are there for good reason.

We need to be sure that the shorebased instructors have a good idea of what is going on on the water (i.e. training courses on the water). The shorebased scheme is there to support the cruising and powerboat schemes, it is not a stand alone scheme. There is little point in taking a YM shorebased course if you don't intend to get afloat and use it.

You are offering yourself up as an adv commercial driver yet you state "I do not want to sit in an open boat at speed teaching people to drive in the dark." On the face of it I am not quite sure what qualities you are offering as an Instructor?

Your post suggests you have little respect for the structure of the RYA scheme. I can't help wondering why on earth you would want to become one of their instructors or for that matter why you think they would want you!
Old 02 January 2013, 19:08   #7

Doug SF - VMT for yr RYAcentric reply. Back on tread tho and my original Q. What part of the APBI syllabus have I not proven and demonstrated by passing my Adv PB CoC????
Old 02 January 2013, 19:18   #8

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHR1966 View Post
Back on tread tho and my original Q. What part of the APBI syllabus have I not proven and demonstrated by passing my Adv PB CoC????
There is a difference between a student who passed the exam and an instructor.
Old 02 January 2013, 19:24   #9

But I AM AN INSTRUCTOR!!!!.......an Adv PB CoC, and hold a YM Coastal Theory......and work commercially. How is a APBI going to prove that I can teach Basic Navigation????
Old 02 January 2013, 19:43   #10

Just saw the title to your thread

Adv PB CoC - Coastal Skipper at best???

The answer to that is yes, adv COC examined previously is CS at best. Theory level was tested to Dayskipper, long distance passage planning was not tested, IRPCS were kept pretty basic and so on.

Quote:
But I AM AN INSTRUCTOR!!!!.......an Adv PB CoC, and hold a YM Coastal Theory......and work commercially. How is a APBI going to prove that I can teach Basic Navigation????
APBI is not going "to prove that you can teach Basic Navigation"

The Shorebased Instructor course will help you prove classroom teaching skills

The "Basic Navigation" Course went out the window 2 yrs ago.

The APBI is the minimum standard of candidate accepted onto the shorebased Instructor Course (to teach above Essential Navigation) and I suspect the training manager suggested it as he thought it was more attainable for you than the standard route of Yachtmaster Offshore COC.

Quote:
....other than I am capable of writing yet another cheque to the RYA for hundreds of pounds???? HNY to you all....
If you were to enrol on a Adv. PBI course the RYA would not see a penny of your money, far less hundreds of pounds. The centre who run the course will charge you whatever rate they set but that pays for their boat, fuel, trainer and admin, none of it goes to the RYA.
Old 02 January 2013, 20:07   #11

Ahoy Doug SF. Ease to five old man. You're preaching (to the converted). Delete Basic and insert Essential. Delete RYA and insert Principle.
Repeat. (I say again)...
What part of the APBI syllabus isn't covered by the Adv PB CoC examination? Oh and yes I do know what goes on on the water commercially, I am a paid up RYA instructor and bet my 22 years in the service trump your office time up the Itchen......LOL XXXXX
Old 02 January 2013, 20:10   #12

.....like I said HNY to you all....
Old 02 January 2013, 20:38   #13

ease to five???

Quote:
What part of the APBI syllabus isn't covered by the API CoC examination?
  • The Intermediate and Advanced courses and their syllabi
  • teaching techniques
  • teaching navigation and pilotage
  • coaching
  • briefing and de briefing students
  • assessing students ability
  • and so on

Quote:
Oh and yes I do know what goes on on the water commercially, I am a paid up RYA instructor and bet my 22 years in the service trump your office time up the Itchen......LOL XXXXX
Yeah your right, your 22 yrs in the service probably does trump my office time for a lot of things. Or should that be your "Personal steward to HM" trumps my managing a fleet of skippers and boats?... LOL XXXXXX

HNY to you too.
Old 02 January 2013, 20:44   #14

Town: Brighton
Just do the YM, what's the big deal?
Old 02 January 2013, 20:46   #15

Hey Doug - look forward to standing in Headmasters office shortly writing my cheque................. R E M F.....XXXXXXXXX (thats more love than you sent to me)