Old 29 September 2006, 17:12   #21

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribit
Not being negative but it's been raced round loads of times unless you can beat these times why bother.....
I'm not sure Tim's proposed event is about getting "fast" round the Island times compared to any other boat out there, I read it as an event to test the performance standard, unmodified, production ribs, which is an entirely different kettle of fish.

In the case of comparing the speeds of production ribs, it doesn't matter how fast they are compared to a raceboat (unless your production rib is a raceboat before you say anything Cookee ), it's about looking at the speed you as an owner could expect if you bought an off the shelf rib xxx with xxx engine.

Old 29 September 2006, 17:30   #22

Town: poole
Make: ring
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150xr2
I know it said production but still could not see the point, as the revenger was production, production probably with a stepped hull and set up for speed, but still production, buzzi hull (rib) the hull is still production, many have been built and they race in super sport P1 (production), I know what you mean, and I guess I am bending the rules a bit, but if your gunna plod around in any old rib why bother, just cruise and enjoy the ride

Old 29 September 2006, 17:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribit
I know it said production but still could not see the point, as the revenger was production, production probably with a stepped hull and set up for speed, but still production, buzzi hull (rib) the hull is still production, many have been built and they race in super sport P1 (production), I know what you mean, and I guess I am bending the rules a bit, but if your gunna plod around in any old rib why bother, just cruise and enjoy the ride
I think the point I'm trying to make is that it is not the speed or elapsed time that matters, merely the comparison.
Old 29 September 2006, 17:45   #24

Town: poole
Make: ring
Engine: 150xr2
I dont disagree, it would give a comparison, but when it comes to the how fast how quick, thats all up to the setup inc prop choice and engine height, so the comparison idea gets a bit vague, as the same too hulls set up differently will show completly different traits and results at the end of the day
Old 05 October 2006, 05:15   #25

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Leeway
Make: leeway 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp = 73mph :0)
so do we all think it would not work?? i would like to set a time with a standard off the shelf 6.3m and a off the shelf 8.3m no race seats balast tanks etc just standard equipment. would not need safty boats as they dont use safty boats for the round british isles timed race. do they?.
Old 05 October 2006, 05:34   #26

Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
MMSI: 235064495
Are you throwing the gauntlet down Lee
Old 06 October 2006, 05:09   #27

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Leeway
Make: leeway 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp = 73mph :0)
if it would work? there needs to be rules like no trim tabs, bucket seats and balast tanks etc.
Old 06 October 2006, 06:43   #28

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeewayComposite
if it would work? there needs to be rules like no trim tabs, bucket seats and balast tanks etc.
Wtf ?????? how about only white hulls with blue tubes.
Old 06 October 2006, 06:53   #29

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Racing Classes.

What about having different classes of boats as in Car racing. Therefore standard RIBs could enter classes such as Over 5 meters to 6 Meters class with a chance of achieving something. Although I think it would need to be a bit more scientifically based in deciding the classes as you would need to make the class such that all boats within it have a fair chance of winning. IE a 5.3 Meter boat with a 90 HP motor would probably be thrashed by a 6 meter boat with a 175 HP. could always get a Tortoise and a Hare situation though.

Just an idea but it would give everyone a chance to have a go.

Also if as I would, you wanted to watch the real fast boys but also compete in the standard classes then the race meeting could be run over a weekend. Proffesional one day and standard classes the next.

As with all things involving the IOW weather is going to play a major part. Might always be worth considering putting two weekends aside and as you get closer picking the one which looks best.
Old 06 October 2006, 14:22   #30

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Sounds like you lot need to join BIBOA, and go rib racing!