Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 11 May 2007, 15:03   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 166
Round Britain 2008 at RIBEX

Going to Ribex for the first time Sat. Can't wait..............

How was the Round Britain stand?
__________________

__________________
the bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 15:08   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Aylesbury/Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Optimax
MMSI: 235021048
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 859
Round Britain

Unconvinicing answers when it came to 'petrol - where?'.

After Trafalgar I would want to be VERY sure of the organisation, legal / safety issues (Which I can't discuss on the web but PM me if interested) and logisitics before joining.

And... Bandit, please post your impressions. I do not want to be a kill joy. Perhpas I am just a jaded cynical old has been....
__________________

__________________
brucehawsker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 16:29   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker View Post
Round Britain

Unconvinicing answers when it came to 'petrol - where?'.

After Trafalgar I would want to be VERY sure of the organisation, legal / safety issues (Which I can't discuss on the web but PM me if interested) and logisitics before joining.

And... Bandit, please post your impressions. I do not want to be a kill joy. Perhpas I am just a jaded cynical old has been....
To me this race could put ofshore racing in this country back on the map.
We are the only country in world that can circumnavigate its country.
I have never raced a boat but a supporter of offshore racing for 25 years never missing Cowes.
There is a mountain to climb for the organisers, TV is key to this event to attract sponsers and celebs are the key to that.

If 70 boats take to the water then we have each other to look out for. I would rather help someone if at sea or in the pits then win the event.
This will be a great experience for anyone that takes part.

Petrol if there is none then i will put the boat back on the trailer and take it to the nearest petrol station.

i have so many friends that want to be apart of this event from crew to support crew, A mate is designing a web page for us free. www.thebandit1.com

A big thanks to Mike for putting all his efforts into this and it needs all of us to support him.

By the way one of my race crew is a sailor.
PM me if you want to know more.

Hopefully
__________________
the bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 16:55   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bandit View Post
We are the only country in world that can circumnavigate its country.
are Japan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Iceland, Madagascar, Cuba and even Australia - not countries?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 17:32   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
are Japan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Iceland, Madagascar, Cuba and even Australia - not countries?
Of course they. So you think its pratical to race round those countries.

1600 miles is a tough but realistic distance. Not sure many pockets would be deep enough to pay for the fuel round Australia and might get a tad boring.
__________________
the bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 18:38   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bandit View Post
Of course they. So you think its pratical to race round those countries.

1600 miles is a tough but realistic distance. Not sure many pockets would be deep enough to pay for the fuel round Australia and might get a tad boring.
With the execption of Australia - most of those countries are not so large as to make it ridiculous. I can't comment on the practicalities - although as others have noted racing petrol boats round the uk is not exactly practical although it is possible.

There are of course many much smaller countries who's names didn't spring to mind - some of which could be circumnavigated in a single day...

I certainly wouldn't be so niave as to suggest that the UK is UNIQUELY placed.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2007, 04:51   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
With the execption of Australia - most of those countries are not so large as to make it ridiculous. I can't comment on the practicalities - although as others have noted racing petrol boats round the uk is not exactly practical although it is possible.

There are of course many much smaller countries who's names didn't spring to mind - some of which could be circumnavigated in a single day...

I certainly wouldn't be so niave as to suggest that the UK is UNIQUELY placed.


There are loads of small countries or island that can be circumnavigated in a day. but that wouldn't make it unique or a challenge.

Please name some countries were you can race a sensible distance in a day and over a period of a week or fortnight so that its pratical for privateers to mix it with the big boys?

Why should petrol be such a issue? We sell bucket loads in this country.

Watch and be amazed how big this race will become.
__________________
the bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2007, 09:57   #8
Member
 
Doug Stormforce's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: Valiant 750 & XS600
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150, 115 HP
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,031
Seems like a bit of a holiday compared with the yachting equivalant - 2,500 miles non stop around Britian and Ireland - took us just under 8 days and three hours last August.
__________________
STORMFORCE COACHING
web - www.stormforce.biz
email - coaching@stormforce.biz
tel - 02380 231122
Doug Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2007, 10:10   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
Seems like a bit of a holiday compared with the yachting equivalant - 2,500 miles non stop around Britian and Ireland - took us just under 8 days and three hours last August.
Hopefully its going to be a race/rally/adventure and holiday with a victory in our class at the end.

We realise that logistically this is going to be a difficult event to run for the organisers but that adds to the fun. Sounds to me as though some on here want a Thompson's packaged race.
__________________
the bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2007, 12:00   #10
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bandit View Post
There are loads of small countries or island that can be circumnavigated in a day. but that wouldn't make it unique or a challenge.

Please name some countries were you can race a sensible distance in a day and over a period of a week or fortnight so that its pratical for privateers to mix it with the big boys?

Why should petrol be such a issue? We sell bucket loads in this country.

Watch and be amazed how big this race will become.

Bandit - I am not disputing that this is a serious challenge. That it is a good length for a race - to make it interesting or challenging. That is not what you said in the original post:

Quote:
We are the only country in world that can circumnavigate its country.
which is just union jack waving, pompous nonsense.

A race around NZ south island would be of similar scale to a round britain race (and since I believe you aren't going round the top - you can't complain they aren't doing a full cicumnavigation).

I am sure there would be other places where a series of sequential race legs could be equally as challenging/interesting.

As for Petrol - it is an issue for logistics. After you have recovered your boat every night for a week to tow it through rural roads to fill up - you will appreciate more why it puts people off... it means you NEED a shore crew to bring the tow vehicle and trailer to fairly remote spots. it means you need to fart about taking your boat out the water every night when all you want to do is fix any faults and get some rest. If all the boats in the rally/race do this then it is going to be a big bottleneck too.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.