Old 14 May 2007, 16:41   #21

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
...mmm - well once you have done the event perhaps you will post here with one of these statements "I am really glad there was no dockside petrol available, it really added to the fun/challenge/excitement to drag my boat out the water and get to the local (1 hour round trip!) filing station - before I shut at 5pm..." OR "I think this event would run so much smoother and give the little guy a fairer chance against the big teams if dockside petrol could be organised"

Perhaps you are right and i don't undertsand - but I think there are a lot of people here put off circumnavigating the UK (not necessarily as part of a race) by the limitted availability of dockside petrol.
If everyone worried too much about the practicalities then a race like this would never happen. Get the idea, make it happen, solve to problems as they crop up.
Dockside petrol is one problem, but they have onboard the company Wessex Fuels who provided it for the 1984 race and so should know the difficulties and be able to provide a solution.
The organisers are incredibly committed and with a full entry list of 60 boats registered and others on a reserve list behind them I really think it will all come together and be a huge success.
Harry
Old 14 May 2007, 18:34   #22

Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
[
Quote:
QUOTE=simmons0;199475] If everyone worried too much about the practicalities then a race like this would never happen. Get the idea, make it happen, solve to problems as they crop up.
Dockside petrol is one problem, but they have onboard the company Wessex Fuels who provided it for the 1984 race and so should know the difficulties and be able to provide a solution.
The organisers are incredibly committed and with a full entry list of 60 boats registered and others on a reserve list behind them I really think it will all come together and be a huge success.
Harry
[/QUOTE]

Thank You.
Old 14 May 2007, 19:03   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0 View Post
If everyone worried too much about the practicalities then a race like this would never happen. Get the idea, make it happen, solve to problems as they crop up.
Harry
Sorry if I am being misunderstood - I am not trying to decry the event, the organisational effort that will go in to it or the teams and the efforts they will put in to the event. Bruce commented (post 2 of this thread) that he was concerned about fuel availability and had not been given a convincing answer at RIBEX. I think it is a reasonable concern - and was simply disappointed that it got a "whats the problem" type response.
Old 14 May 2007, 19:05   #24
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bandit View Post
[).

So glad you came up with a location on the otherside of the world. Not sure that many of us could get our boats there.
Must slap meself for getting my facts wrong.
Sorry i didn't realise when you said the only place in the World - you meant Europe...
Old 14 May 2007, 19:12   #25

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
I think it would be impossible for him to give an honest and convincing answer to the petrol question at this stage.
All he could really say is that there will be dockside petrol available in one form or another, but who's providing it, how and where are still up in the air.
H
Old 15 May 2007, 06:34   #26

Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
[
Quote:
QUOTE=Polwart;199524] Sorry i didn't realise when you said the only place in the World - you meant Europe...
[/QUOTE]

No I meant the world minus New Zealand
Old 21 May 2007, 01:19   #27
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
are Japan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Iceland, Madagascar, Cuba and even Australia - not countries?
Just noticed this thread

We did first round Iceland race back in 1978... and that is truly round the island... not "British" way of crossing channel.... and name it Round Britain race

Spoke to Mike and pointed this out.. respect his points..

Also similar object Open 24 hours in Britain means "we close 22.00 hours Saturday opens Sunday morning 8.00 and close 16.00 and opens Monday morning 08.00"

Bogi
Old 21 May 2007, 14:02   #28

Town: Harlow, Essex
Boat name: On Water Training
Length: no boat
Interesting date for the race - June 2008...? Wonder if it will clash with the Round The Island Race 2008 which usually takes place in June...?

Gordon...
www.onwatertraining.co.uk
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2007, 09:00   #29

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Does anyone want our "Race and Logistic notes" from Round Britain 1992 or 1999 or Round the British Isles 2000 or that other big island "The World" 2002?
Free to a good home

Alan P
Old 22 May 2007, 13:41   #30
Administrator

Town: Brighton
As far as I remember, the instructions in 1999 were just "keep the brown bits on the right"

John
Old 29 May 2007, 16:24   #31

Length: 5m +
Hello All,

I started a thread under 'cruising' on a similar topic. I'm planning to do this trip in August 2007 (during Cows Week) with 3 other Ocean Rowers and would really like to get a few similarly minded people together to keep me company.

Is anyone interested in doing a recce run this year?

G.
Old 24 August 2007, 08:42   #32

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker View Post
Round Britain

Unconvinicing answers when it came to 'petrol - where?'.

After Trafalgar I would want to be VERY sure of the organisation, legal / safety issues (Which I can't discuss on the web but PM me if interested) and logisitics before joining.

And... Bandit, please post your impressions. I do not want to be a kill joy. Perhpas I am just a jaded cynical old has been....
just been going through the posting on petrol, i went round britian in a rib back in 1999 and believe me petrol is a problem and transporting petrol yourself is i think illegal
Old 24 August 2007, 09:01   #33

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
There are many issues that Mike has with organising RB 2008.I think it unlikely he won't have this one in hand or already sorted.

Mark
Old 24 August 2007, 12:36   #34

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWildey View Post
There are many issues that Mike has with organising RB 2008.I think it unlikely he won't have this one in hand or already sorted.

Mark
If I'm not mistaken, a fuel supplier was organised months ago - a fellow racer actually!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote