Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Anyone going to Harwich 30-31 July and 1st august
Old 26 July 2010, 16:20   #22

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Me thinks we have been here before, some 15 years ago. I would like to see it work but it didnt then and proberbly wouldnt now but worth trying, I would put a team in just for a laugh provided the course didnt go round in small ever decreasing circles to please the sponsors Alan P
Old 27 July 2010, 09:02   #23

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy View Post
Me thinks we have been here before, some 15 years ago. I would like to see it work but it didnt then and proberbly wouldnt now but worth trying, I would put a team in just for a laugh provided the course didnt go round in small ever decreasing circles to please the sponsors Alan P
In which case I think you'll be disappointed ...............

Quote:
Races will be run on a 2 nautical mile course close to shore and will last 30-35 minutes with two races being held over the race weekend.
From June's press release.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2010, 13:13   #24

And the reason anyone would want to race a RIB for 2 nautical miles is?.
If anyone wants to re-start RIB racing in the UK, it needs to be taken back to its roots not some namby pamby spin around some cans Alan P
Old 27 July 2010, 14:41   #25

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Ghost
Make: Scorpion
Out of interest what would be the classic rib race in your eyes Mr P,
Phil
Old 27 July 2010, 15:17   #26

Like the ones we used to have 15-20 years ago, a short set of safety rules and good sport. Anything from 50 - 100 miles per day, and sometimes longer over 5 days. The races where down to the seamanship and preparation of the craft. Not to go as fast as you can for the shortest amount of time. Ah, the good old days. Alan P
Old 28 July 2010, 07:11   #27

Quote:
Like the ones we used to have 15-20 years ago, a short set of safety rules and good sport. Anything from 50 - 100 miles per day, and sometimes longer over 5 days. The races where down to the seamanship and preparation of the craft. Not to go as fast as you can for the shortest amount of time. Ah, the good old days. Alan P
In that case you should be entering the marathon series - CTC at the end of August and Round Britain races next year and the year after plus Harwich, South Coast Marathon etc .....
Old 28 July 2010, 14:47   #28

They not marathon events! Cowes Torquay is weather dependant according the the organisers. The last RB spent as long on the road as they did at sea and cut 300 miles off by going through the inland waterways!

It appears that all the events that are being planned are going to cost an enormous amount of money just to enter. I did put an application for one of the Round Britains going on in my new boat but didnt fancy stumping up a couple of thousand pounds for no specific reason so pulled out.

When we ran the first Round Britain Rib Raid in 1992 we had 8 boats with 2 from Belgium and charged £100. In 1999 we had 32 Ribs on the start line which 28 finished and charged £250 which included the home coming party.
For this money we put 2 mini buses who leapfrogged around the UK carrying the crews kit + set up all their accomadation and fuel requirements. It was a real boys own adventure, had to come home on time and everyone enjoyed themselves. I wonder at the amounts being asked to enter some of these events. We are putting a smaller boat together to do something next year but it has to give "A Buzz" For the record, I have just come back from another Round Britain, that makes 5 Admittingly in a fast yacht but 700 miles from Portsmouth to Scrabster, 350 Miles to Portpatrick via Stornaway and 400 to Falmouth.
Old 29 July 2010, 07:52   #29

Quote:
They not marathon events! Cowes Torquay is weather dependant according the the organisers. The last RB spent as long on the road as they did at sea and cut 300 miles off by going through the inland waterways!

It appears that all the events that are being planned are going to cost an enormous amount of money just to enter. I did put an application for one of the Round Britains going on in my new boat but didnt fancy stumping up a couple of thousand pounds for no specific reason so pulled out.

When we ran the first Round Britain Rib Raid in 1992 we had 8 boats with 2 from Belgium and charged £100. In 1999 we had 32 Ribs on the start line which 28 finished and charged £250 which included the home coming party.
For this money we put 2 mini buses who leapfrogged around the UK carrying the crews kit + set up all their accomadation and fuel requirements. It was a real boys own adventure, had to come home on time and everyone enjoyed themselves. I wonder at the amounts being asked to enter some of these events. We are putting a smaller boat together to do something next year but it has to give "A Buzz" For the record, I have just come back from another Round Britain, that makes 5 Admittingly in a fast yacht but 700 miles from Portsmouth to Scrabster, 350 Miles to Portpatrick via Stornaway and 400 to Falmouth.
You missed a raid last month!
Old 29 July 2010, 08:05   #30

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Ghost
Make: Scorpion
The GBRR10 carried a £500 entry fee, taking into consideration inflation not bad compared to 99, some 20k raised for charities and above all a very jolly bit of fun had by all and back home on time.
Old 29 July 2010, 15:26   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
The GBRR10 carried a £500 entry fee, taking into consideration inflation not bad compared to 99, some 20k raised for charities and above all a very jolly bit of fun had by all and back home on time.
I rest my case, organisors do not have to charge a fortune for everyone to have fun!!

Cookie, as I said in my last post, I was sailing around Britain as well Alan P
Old 30 July 2010, 07:43   #32

Quote:
I rest my case, organisors do not have to charge a fortune for everyone to have fun!!

Cookie, as I said in my last post, I was sailing around Britain as well Alan P
My wife has a boat with sails on and I grew up sailing - in fact I was lucky enough to sail on TS Royalist. (I have yet to sail around Britain let alone cross the Atlantic)

The charges for racing in general are quite high and have been the subject of more than one discussion on Boatmad which is where the racers tend to hang out - It is a fact that "Racing" requires more management in terms of scrutineers, timekeepers, safety crews etc, especially in today's health and safety era - whether the entry fees are appropriate or too high would only be judged by seeing the accounts for a similar race such as RB08.

The other way of looking at the entry fees is that the races appear to be well supported - so they can't be too high to be totally unjustifiable!
Old 31 July 2010, 21:07   #33

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
I was out on our nornmal patrols happened to see the start from a distance off Langaurd bouy.Was the large motorcruiser called COBRA marshal/Safty boat also a cabin Halmatic rib about 28ft.At the end off the afternoon it seamed one boat must have flipped hope the crew were ok.Anyone know
Old 31 July 2010, 21:15   #34

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
i have just heard on the news here one died and one with serious head injuries .Very tragic.Our thoughts go out to his family
Old 31 July 2010, 23:39   #35

Town: Colchester
Boat name: Project
Make: Atlantic 21
Engine: Mariner 2.5 v6
Yes Was a Very Sad day in the pits. a bad end to a day of very good racing.
A Big Loss to the sport and to boating.
Old 24 August 2010, 10:50   #36

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Racing

I remember those days mr priddy. Damn im getting old.