Old 24 May 2014, 03:53   #71

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Google will still find you the costs: Race Entry Fees | Venture Offshore Cup - but in brief 12/HP +VAT. The terms were presumably clear (on the entry form?) as nobody who couldn't afford to loose it would be handing over that sort of money without being clear if it was refundable if either they or the organisers were not able to go ahead.
Not sure how many people actually paid the full amount but many people lost the 2 X 1,000 deposits to stay in the race until confidence was lost and too many questions left unanswered including a question about how secure the money was!

Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2014, 04:32   #72

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
I am not sure about what contracts were issued by the organisers (if any) as i did not enter anything and i am not sure what sort of entry fee was asked for.

Obviously there is always a risk of companies going belly up but due diligence only goes so far. Correct me if i am wrong but i thought the days of setting up a company, which then folded with debt, was not the get out of jail ticket it used to be. I was under the impression that you can now go after the directors of the company, even if it has folded.

i am asking out of curiosity more than anything as i was not involved in any of the previous race cancellations. Maybe this is the wrong thread to be asking the questions. I know a company compliance officer so may ask them out of interest.

Nope, very VERY difficult. Unless the actions by the directors are fraudulent, itself hard to prove AND the numbers are significant enough to justify the costs, AND the directors have money to repay it, you're on a hiding to nothing. It goes on all the time.

The Irish even come over here, transfer assets/debts, then use our lax laws to go bankrupt and claim benefits until they're cleared, in a shorter time than their laws, only to go back again once cleared. Our Ltd company and personal bankruptcy rules are a joke open to constant abuse. I see it daily.

Old 24 May 2014, 06:50   #73

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Any event organiser cannot guarantee it will happen and it has to be agreed that everything anyone does has a cost therefore it has to be accepted that deposits have to be paid to create the initial fund that is required for the competitors to have an event and the organisers to organise. However. This event seems to have been handled particularly badly with the organisers thinking that it would all go their way, monies spent would be repaid and dare I say it, maybe even earn a bit for thier efforts. They refused to accept that the event had to be competitor driven and not organisers / potential sponsors. I have done this trip against the clock with one service van and road crew. It took just under 100 hours. Add in a couple of days drinking after and it was all done and dusted in a working week.
The last Round Britain I ran had an entry fee of 500 which included two service vans that where always one stop ahead organising fuel, provisions and if nessesarly accomadation. 30 boats started and 28 came back a week later. The entire event was about endurance and the condition of taking part was that should the competitor not make the designated nights stop over they contacted our base station so we knew what their intentions would be. Several members of This site took part and I feel they all had a good time and fulfilled their ambitions. Because of overbearing legislation buy none elected self regulating bodies this race was never going to happen and if the organisers lowered their sights and spoke to people who know how to organise long distant offshore events an additional plan could have been put together. It would have envolved getting each boat coded to a better standard than a normal coastal race boat and at least one crew member would have needed a Yachtmaster commercial certificate. A slow cruise to a location 25 miles offshore with a finish mark at a similar distance from the next port would have removed the need to involve so called authorities as each boat would be classed as passage making and the only condition would be "safe seakeeping" this would also allowed the sponsor / supporter of each leg to have the confidence that the fleet would all arrive in town at the same time creating the much need attraction. The finish should be stage managed with the fastest boat arriving first and slowest last. The fleet would then look spectacular for the media even if the timed part of the race would have finished 25 miles offshore.
I have been asked to jump through hoops to get our around the world powerboat event approved for the record and at all points I have refused to accept what has been dictated to me by people who know considerably less than me and my team. I have agreed to build the boat to a full Code Zero specification and operate as a commercial craft under maritime law and not the two self appointed organisations. This is my input on this subject based on organising more long distance offshore events than anyone. Alan P
Old 24 May 2014, 07:08   #74

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Nearly 15 years to the month since our little jaunt round the whole of Britain Alan, a lot more sea miles since then eh?
Old 24 May 2014, 07:40   #75

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Hi Biff. Never a truer word and a lot more to come I hope cheers Alan
Old 25 May 2014, 01:50   #76
Trade member

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Gents, how true and where did those years go
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2014, 02:46   #77

Someone else said recently that we shouldn't measure life in time but in what we've done or achieved
Old 26 May 2014, 05:45   #78

Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
RIBase
we have so man different informations now. does the race take place or not ? coz i will cross the channel from Belgium to London on the 6th of June ....is the race becoming a challenge or ??? i m a bit lost
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2014, 06:13   #79

No one has a clue so don't expect an answer, the old saying about smoke and mirrors springs to mind, mind you the only smoke about seems to be the stuff they are blowing up peoples arses
Old 26 May 2014, 06:20   #80

Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
RIBase
ok i see anyway it will be a nice trip cruising to London !!!!

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote