Old 09 May 2014, 12:38   #41

Town: Ardmore
Boat name: Wavehopper
Make: Cobra 6.65 HD
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150 hpdi
Biffer - I thought the reason Gee pulled out was more to do with the fact that simple day licences weren't allowed (not our call)?

The teams that are actually entered in the Venture Cup have some more detail about what's currently happening, but it's not the right time (just yet) to share this information publicly.
Old 09 May 2014, 14:03   #42

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
Biffer - I thought the reason Gee pulled out was more to do with the fact that simple day licences weren't allowed (not our call)? The teams that are actually entered in the Venture Cup have some more detail about what's currently happening, but it's not the right time (just yet) to share this information publicly.
Nothing to do with with race licences, but the rest of your statement just about sums up what we've been hearing for well over a year, no answers,
Old 09 May 2014, 14:26   #43

Biffer - can you PM me your email and I'll happily send you on the emails between ourselves and Chris. Not keen on a public ping-pong.
Old 09 May 2014, 14:38   #44

I've just left Chris in France I'm well aware of what's been going on, I've said my piece, I have worked with the RYA for about 6 or 7 years, I'm well aware of what goes on there also, not interested in ping pong either, it just grips me all the bollox that goes on, that's my last word on this
Old 12 May 2014, 12:27   #45

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Having been told of the latest news of the Venture Cup my lovely wife had a few choice words to say:

Didn't RB12 get cancelled quite close to the start and didn't a bunch of people lose money on that? She then said didn't Mike Lloyd cancel Cowes Monaco after taking quite a bit of money (mine included)? Isn't the Venture Cup the same race a year later? Are people going to lose more money again? Her observation is that as a group powerboat racers are obviously a bunch of hopelessly optimistic gullible idiots being taken advantage of.

Personally I think that's a bit strong but there does seem to be a pattern forming here - I really hope Aidan gets his sh1t together and sorts something out because I like him and I know he's been working very hard ..... time will tell!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2014, 12:52   #46

I think your missus is quite a bit cleverer than yourself John, they should name it vulture cup, they seem to have a ravenous appetite for dosh, you know the old saying, behind every good man, I would be skint without mine young lady
Old 12 May 2014, 22:10   #47

Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
I think your missus is quite a bit cleverer than yourself John, they should name it vulture cup, they seem to have a ravenous appetite for dosh, you know the old saying, behind every good man, I would be skint without mine young lady
Old 12 May 2014, 22:34   #48

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
Quote:
I would be skint without mine young lady
Biff, in truth, with the amount of toys around your man cave your better half must be pretty understanding
Old 13 May 2014, 06:50   #49

She certainly is Jack, if there is one bit of advice I could give anyone it would be, if you get a good one keep her, I read somewhere that a relationship is like a fart, if you try to hard it's usually shyte
Old 16 May 2014, 12:20   #50

Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
RIBase
guys, i read that RYA didn t approved the race but is it cancelled or not ? coz i was supposed to cross the channel from belgium to see the departure .... thanks
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2014, 16:35   #51

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
guys, i read that RYA didn t approved the race but is it cancelled or not ? coz i was supposed to cross the channel from belgium to see the departure .... thanks
I was hoping to see the fleet of boats at St Katherine Docks June 4th - 7th as well and was trying to arrange to be working in the area on one of the days.

However all these rumours of the event being cancelled is of concern so I phoned St Katherine's early today and spoke with a very nice person.
St Katharine Docks - <h2>Venture Offshore Cup<br /> Official Home Port<br /> &nbsp;</h2>

They fully expect the event to take place but acknowledge they too have heard the rumours that it might be cancelled. As far as the person I spoke to was concerned "the event is booked and the boats and sponsors should be there"

They advised me to keep an eye on Twitter for Venture Cup news (as they are doing)...
Old 16 May 2014, 17:12   #52

If this race happens ill drive through the fleet at cowers week in a mankini, what they have done is tantamount to fraud, they have taken funds from people almost knowing that it won't run, this is my personal point of view and I think it's despicable, as I said before how could you attract sponsors, they will not bung money at your boat for no reason and nobodies given us any hope of ever getting the race run again, it should be taken out of there hands and run as a rally which they have no hold or control over, not as if we were going to get any support from them anyway
Old 16 May 2014, 17:40   #53

Town: Villars
Boat name: Tally-Ho
Make: Scorpion
Length: 9m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 300xs
just seen a press release saying the London-Monte Carlo is on !

No doubt there will be loads of negative comments against the organisers and lack of boats blah blah...but whatever form it takes i think it is a really good effort by all those concerned and good luck to everyone involved.

looking forward to see you in your mankini at Cowes this summer biffer....ah then again maybe not
Old 16 May 2014, 19:48   #54

Wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last. I think I'm safe on this one though. I hope I'm wrong
Old 17 May 2014, 15:11   #55

This was the statement that was issued yesterday.

Get set for one of the World’s greatest adventures

2,500 miles of unforgiving seas ….15 days …. 30g+ snap impacts coming every few seconds …. 9 glamorous locations …. thousands of horsepower … and a commitment to never give up, no matter what you’re faced with. These are just some of the many ingredients which await the participants of a very special, and very unique, event which will run right across Europe from June 7th to 22nd.

The 2014 Venture Cup will be the ultimate demonstration of seamanship, navigation, skill and strategy. It’s the longest, toughest and most prestigious adventure in powerboating. The nature of this epic challenge means that running at 100% from the start would almost guarantee failure. There's two weeks of hard ocean conditions to overcome, so participants need to carefully manage themselves, their crew, boats, engines, and strategies to stand any chance of making it to the finish. And what a finish it will be - coming into Monte-Carlo as part of the opening celebrations for the magnificent new Yacht Club de Monaco. This is one of the world's truly great adventures, where only the very best will make it to the end.

As well as being the most significant powerboat event of 2014, it will also involve the largest ever scientific study of human factors on fast boats. This research is being backed by several universities and will influence the development of patrol, rescue and leisure boats in the future.

The excitement begins at ‘the Gathering’ on Wednesday 4th of June, where the boats come together at their home port of St Katharine Docks in the heart of London to make their final preparations and meet the public. They’ll remain on display there until early Saturday June 7th when they’ll slip their moorings, leave the lock in St Katharines, and make way down the Thames for the official start at Nieupoort in Belgium. From there they’ll make passage to Jersey, then Les Sables d’Olonne in France, A Coruna in northern Spain, Lisbon, Malaga and right up along the azure waters of the Med to the end of the challenge in Monaco on Sunday 22nd June.

Throughout the event spectators will be encouraged to come down, meet the boats and the teams, learn some more about powerboating, and enjoy the many festivals along the route. Those unable to get to the event directly will be able to follow the excitement on the event website.

This is the first of what promises to become a major annual sporting occasion, bringing powerboating back into the mainstream and returning the daring deeds of these determined participants to the public eye. Future events will include Venture Cups in the Caribbean and a run from London to St Petersburg.

The boats and crews are ready, the venues are waiting, and the excitement builds more and more with each passing day. Monte-Carlo is in their sights!
Old 17 May 2014, 15:13   #56
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Is it not a race any more?
Old 17 May 2014, 17:35   #57
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Cheer up Boss, TMS can still win it!
Old 21 May 2014, 21:13   #58
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Old 22 May 2014, 08:12   #59

Town: Hamble
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
It's supposedly a rally now, with I'm told 5 entries.
Old 22 May 2014, 08:13   #60

Town: Hamble
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post