The 16th, and final, Day Report is now published
DAY 16: Mission Accomplished - News
Old 15 July 2014, 09:16   #162

Town: Ardmore
Boat name: Wavehopper
Make: Cobra 6.65 HD
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150 hpdi
We're doing a quick review at the moment and we'd really appreciate it if you could give us a short few minutes and fill out the following survey. It's very short and your voice would be really useful.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5S2DQPH
Old 15 July 2014, 11:10   #163

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
We're doing a quick review at the moment and we'd really appreciate it if you could give us a short few minutes and fill out the following survey. It's very short and your voice would be really useful.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5S2DQPH

Although I have voiced my opinion before on this subject, all I'm going to say and you can take this as a survey, you got away with it!
Old 17 July 2014, 20:03   #164

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
I agree with Biff. A lot of mistakes were made and they were all very lucky to have made it to Monaco. If it was a race I don't think any of the boats would have made the Med. Saying this and assuming that someone will organising this again I hope the organisers bring in skills rather than media passion or it all go very wrong which no one wants. Alan P
Old 18 July 2014, 16:54   #165

Town: Ardmore
Boat name: Wavehopper
Make: Cobra 6.65 HD
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150 hpdi
Hi Alan - genuinely curious .....why do you think none of the four boats would have made it as far as the Med in racing conditions? What would 'racing conditions' have added to what they already overcame? They ran fully on schedule and, for the most part, ran as hard as they would if they were racing. Personally, I don't think it was 'luck' that got all four into Monaco on the arranged day - I think it was a lot of hard work, quite a bit of courage, and a spirit that wouldn't quit.
Old 18 July 2014, 17:23   #166

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Well I know bugger all about power boat racing. But, in this risk averse, sanitised, sterile world that we are now forced to live, it's refreshing to see someone having a "proper" adventure. Good on yer lads Before anyone starts wringing their hands & "what if,ing", the rescue services are there to do just that, it's their Raison-d'etre, that's what they do & they love it for exactly the same reasons that people do risky things, it makes them feel alive. We are programmed to hunt & kill things & run away from Sabre toothed tigers, due to the lack of STTs we do daft things instead, some you win some you lose, C'est la vie!
As the man said, plenty more where we came from
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2014, 21:04   #167
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
We are programmed to hunt & kill things & run away from Sabre toothed tigers, due to the lack of STTs we do daft things instead, some you win some you lose....
Oooh yeah!

Old 19 July 2014, 04:05   #168

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Hi Alan - genuinely curious .....why do you think none of the four boats would have made it as far as the Med in racing conditions? What would 'racing conditions' have added to what they already overcame? They ran fully on schedule and, for the most part, ran as hard as they would if they were racing. Personally, I don't think it was 'luck' that got all four into Monaco on the arranged day - I think it was a lot of hard work, quite a bit of courage, and a spirit that wouldn't quit.

The guys and there boats would have gone no matter what, they are the ones that deserve all the credit, the management/ organisers had been jerking them along for over 2 years, I think secretly they had had enough and they went, it's them that wouldn't quit, everyone else got dragged along for the ride but still wanted a pat on the back.
I respect everyone of them who put there boats, money and life on the line in the pursuit of there pastime and enjoyment, I have no respect for those who talked it up and treated it as a free jolly.
The guys at the UIM, RYA, or who ever thought they could run this but eventually couldn't should think about the last few years of organised chaos and remember,, to us it a passion, a sport for our enjoyment, it's not a business
Old 19 July 2014, 06:47   #169

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Quote:
Your above comment says it all. Media and spin.
No I don't think they would have got to the Med on time if they had to keep to a schedule.
The four boats did not run "fully on schedule" choosing quite rightly to stop where they needed rather than where they were told. To run out of fuel would have put one boat out. I have huge respect for anyone that takes on long distance cruising, but this was all it was, a cruise which many boat owners have done before. FYI there is an boating organisation call Club 2000 which is for owners that have carried out a fast cruise of over 2000 NM.

I have to agree with Biff. The build up to the event, the lies and bullshit has done the sport a lot of damage. I have done this this trip four times before, twice against the clock and twice to suit me. On all four occasions it was 24/7 running equal time at night as day. None of my comments are personal but you made so many mistakes and assumptions and organised an event with little knowledge of how it actually was going to be.
Sorry if this offends but there you go. Alan P