Old 03 February 2005, 17:13   #1

Town: Yarmouth
Boat name: 74 Rouge
Make: Aquavite
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 O/B
Formula 200

Formula 200 is a new scheme to get as many 200 hp boats racing togetehr as possible. These maybe RIB's, offshore, ex raceboats, ex OCR or production boats such as Phantoms, Rings etc. There will be overall honours plus seperate sub-sections along thr above lines.

There will be a meeting this Sunday, 6th Feb, at Bournemouth after the RYA media seminar.

The class has backing from the RYA and hopefully will be well supported.
Old 03 February 2005, 21:18   #2

Town: Pagham Harbour
Boat name: Scallywag
Make: Arran 16
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu
Good idea I hope it is well supported.

M
Old 04 February 2005, 16:59   #3

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Adam is there and other info available ??

Paul
Old 05 February 2005, 19:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
Adam is there and other info available ??

Paul

Hopefully some more after tomorrows meeting. Will post as soon as possible.
Old 07 February 2005, 22:51   #5

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Oh dear.

missus
Old 08 February 2005, 07:50   #6

The meeting was pretty much all very positive. Things are moving forward and the RYA are being very supportive - even financially , which is very much appreciated!

The class will give anyone with a 200hp (or less) outboard powered boat teh chance to race. It is all about boosting numbers, promoting the class and getting away from the mess of classes that have been around in the past.

We will end up with RIB's (i.e. the new F1 RIB's), offshore class 3C and 'production boats'. The race will have line honours and certainly look like a single race to spectators, but in terms of championships the classes will also score seperate points.

It is certainly the only realistic way forward a the moment - with none of the classes having enough boats each to stand on their own. I believe the RIB fleet is smaller than it has been for many years, possibly since starting racing and BIBOA is not organising races anymore?

Hopefully this will lead to some higher profile racing and identity for all.
Adam
Old 11 February 2005, 09:08   #7

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Younger
The meeting was pretty much all very positive. Things are moving forward and the RYA are being very supportive - even financially , which is very much appreciated!

The class will give anyone with a 200hp (or less) outboard powered boat teh chance to race. It is all about boosting numbers, promoting the class and getting away from the mess of classes that have been around in the past.

We will end up with RIB's (i.e. the new F1 RIB's), offshore class 3C and 'production boats'. The race will have line honours and certainly look like a single race to spectators, but in terms of championships the classes will also score seperate points.

It is certainly the only realistic way forward a the moment - with none of the classes having enough boats each to stand on their own. I believe the RIB fleet is smaller than it has been for many years, possibly since starting racing and BIBOA is not organising races anymore?

Hopefully this will lead to some higher profile racing and identity for all.
Adam
There was a meeting of some of the RIB crews at the Exe Powerboat and Ski Club last night, and after discussing the new Formula 200 class we have decided to join the party and raise a few points before the season starts, although the general feeling was that it should be a great leg up for powerboat racing and we want to help!

I'm sure I speak for all the other crews in thanking Richard Strawford for not only taking the time to go to the meetings but for organising to meet us last night and keep us up to date with the latest developments.

As far as the calendar is concerned it appears the possible Torquay date (the one after Cowes) is concerned - it has been removed - and there is a possibility of going back to Cardiff and all racing inside - with a heat / knockout type system - should be fun!

Some of the points raised are that -

Only points are awarded when the classes race together

Races are run when it is safe to do so at the discresion of the safety officer and not whether some crews want to race or not

We retain the RIB podium trophies

For information we will still be running the RYA National and BIBOA Championships, and this will be an additional one.

I'm sure there were a couple more things and I'll post them as soon as I remember (must write things down!)

If anyone has any questions I will try to answer them or find out!

By the way, we are looking at have 10 to 12 boats in the RIB fleet this season, and that is without the possibilty of extra "basic" boats joining in!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2005, 07:51   #8

All sounds good Cookee - and hopefully we are moving into an age of racing where classes/clubs work together and try to improve things. I think all the classes outside of one designs need to.

One thing I'm not sure about re. RIB racing. Why are there seperate RYA and BIBOA Championships when there are no BIBOA races?

Adam
Old 15 February 2005, 08:50   #9

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Younger
All sounds good Cookee - and hopefully we are moving into an age of racing where classes/clubs work together and try to improve things. I think all the classes outside of one designs need to.

One thing I'm not sure about re. RIB racing. Why are there seperate RYA and BIBOA Championships when there are no BIBOA races?

Adam
Sorry for being brief - in the lounge at Heathrow on the way to Miami! BIBOA will nominate races to count for thier championships I suppose, whilst the RYA will be all the nominated races, and the Formula 200 will be a different set - it means that you've got 3 chances of doing well or not!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote