Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 08 September 2005, 10:53   #361

Length: 10m +
Real person - me

Firstly, I can not be traced back to an IP address in Belgium. Nor did I have anything to do with the organisers or the event before arriving. If you review this thread, you can see I was asking questions in the begining - deciding if I should join the event or not. Finally I decided that I would.

During the event, I did not see anyone without a lifejacket on. I believe there were two ribs that left the harbour at Deauville without them on - I did not see that.

Most of the participants appeared to be novice - Not that I am a great seaman by any streach - but I can read a map ( chart for the Navy boys ) and navigate successfully without a GPS.

I carried spare vhf, GPS, flares, fuel and lifejackets in case they were needed. I also hired a 6 man lifeboat for the duration. Additionally we slowed to assist some of the smaller craft cross the shipping lanes. Most of the smaller craft followed my course accross the shipping lanes, as I had planned it well, and it was easier to follow a large boat and concentrate on the sea than looking at maps/gps/etc whilst blasting along at your specific top speed.

I do not know of any boat needing to be rescued by the RNLI during the rally

We kept a watch on our channel and on 16 ( dual watch ) and kept an ear out for anyone reporting a problem.

All in all - although there were potential safety issues that *potentially* could have spoiled the day *if* things had gone wrong and *if* the weather had turned, nothing did go wrong, and the weather was perfect. The organisers have learned from the event. It was so much better to cross the channel as part of a group of like minded people with the same aims in mind. If anything had gone wrong, there were several boats capable of assisting. This was part of the spirit of the event. Boats naturally teamed up into groups and did their thing.

This was without the formal insistance of safety procedures.

Those on the rally were great. Some have dodgy accents like the Queen, but they will be forgiven this by myself, because at the end of the day they were just one of the croud who did the event, nothing special because of the way they talk.

Despite the negative posts here, I believe everyone on the event enjoyed the event, and that at the end of the day is what the event was all about!

* my introduction to boats was in the army. So maps, left side of the boat, right side of the boat, front, back, stearingwheel etc were the terms used - because charts, port, starbord, stern etc were Navy terms and you are not in the F*&(!ng Navy are you!
Old 08 September 2005, 13:21   #362

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Tricky..

The crack about "Belgian IP" was a little dig at my friend Jonathan... I believe that you exist... I have seen the photos... and I still use left/right/pointy bit/ blunt end ...

Mark W..

Nope I don’t think Roops is related…I just checked.. and unless one of my ancestors did something naughty on day-release or during conjugal visits, there ain’t much chance of us being kinfolk…

Mat..

Yer fantasy’s is coming to light again… stop it!

TimW..

Eups can cause havoc just by turning up….

Jonathan…

If we’re gonna use your boat.. do we buy a fuel bowser too?

Shifty..

I personally don’t give a toss if you wear a lifejacket or not. I’ve always maintained that it’s your life.. your choice… I wouldn’t wear my ‘bike helmet all the time if I didn’t have to… my life, my responsibilities.. my choice…

Roops….

I was sailing yachts whilst you were still dumping in your diapers… paid your debts yet?
Old 08 September 2005, 13:56   #363

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
my introduction to boats was in the army. So maps, left side of the boat, right side of the boat, front, back, stearingwheel etc were the terms used - because charts, port, starbord, stern etc were Navy terms and you are not in the F*&(!ng Navy are you! [/QUOTE]

Last time I checked, the Army were still able to grasp and use basic nautical terminology or perhaps you're another of the LOPC crowd with a highly decorated but highly fictional military background. w*nker.
Old 08 September 2005, 14:27   #364

Town: Cowes
Engine: 225 Opti
her here donutsina...

Leave it to the Marines. Funnily enough they are a tad better at soldiering than the regular army too - and if my memory serves me right use of standard soldiering terms was mastered by all. None of that silly foot stamping though...
Old 08 September 2005, 14:38   #365

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
[QUOTE=Jono] Tricky..

Eups can cause havoc just by turning up….

Jonathan…

If we’re gonna use your boat.. do we buy a fuel bowser too?

Jono- nice one-- it ONLY does 60l liters/engine/hr at 47 knts. But what do you want ??( let me see if I got that right- 60 liters= 15.78 us galons realtime .. yes thats about it) - fuel bowser!!!!!!!!! a F*****G refinery would be more use

well at least they are running like a dream.... you just get in , seat yourself comfotable like - then just turn a switch for about 1.5 seconds . no fuel pumping, no choke- and that lovely deep throaty sound-- but it is at a price......

jonathan
Old 08 September 2005, 16:39   #366

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson
Cool, what sort of speeds do they get up to? I will come check them out at Southampton boat show if you've a stall there.
The race boat has a top speed of over 70mph - we'll be bookable on the try a boat stand or you can call me for more information 07836 268747 - if you want more information it might be best to carry this on by email rather than clutter up this thread! cookee@bananasharkracing.com.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2005, 19:50   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911
Last time I checked, the Army were still able to grasp and use basic nautical terminology or perhaps you're another of the LOPC crowd with a highly decorated but highly fictional military background. w*nker.
I am quite capable of understanding the marine terminology, and I was 'educated' at a young age by my father who raced 505's ( if you can remember that far back! )

I also hold an ICC, and VHF licence, as well as an international Powerboat racing licence. So I am familiar with the concept of port, starbord, bow and stern.

I choose - mostly because it is fun to do so - to declare my boats to be Army boats, and thus the terminology used will be the terminology beaten into us by a rather nasty staff sargent who had an issue with the Navy.

My military 'career' is without question. Highly decorated - no. But I do have a collection of operational medals, as well as the Pro-Patria and the Southern Cross, which are considered meritous. If you feel so inclined, you can check, I appear in two books written by Peter Stiff, avalable from Amazon. A clear photo of me appears in the second book, with a short writeup of operations I was involved with in each book. I am named specifically. I have had an exciting life - I have no need to fictionalise my life to date.

Warefare by other means ISBN 1 919854 01 0
The silent war ISBN 0 620243 00 7
Old 08 September 2005, 23:14   #368

Length: no boat
Old 08 September 2005, 23:24   #369
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1

army this navy that best we have no military manners here we even can´t stand straight in line

Bogi
Old 09 September 2005, 08:34   #370

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Old 09 September 2005, 09:30   #371

Make: FB 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by verytricky
But I do have a collection of operational medals, as well as the Pro-Patria and the Southern Cross, which are considered meritous.
You must have been in the SADF ...I like you also received these medals, nothing great about that as anyone who stepped over the Angolan border received one. They dished them out like lollypops!
Old 12 September 2005, 12:33   #372

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
JB if you are short of personalities sorry I meant celebrities for your Event I know a girl who shagged a footballer once, maybe several times I dunno I wan't there.

I know a footballer from Accrington Stanley ain't quite in the same league as David Beckam but it's a start
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2005, 14:05   #373

Old 19 September 2005, 20:32   #374

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Indigo Blue
Engine: Twin 250 outboard
They are discussing the Deauville rally here also.
http://www.deauvillerally.com/deauvillerally/forum/
Old 07 November 2005, 13:54   #375

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
5 page spread in December's issue of Motorboats and Yachting...if anyone's in the slightest bit interested (and i suspect a number are definetely not)
Old 07 November 2005, 14:38   #376

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw
5 page spread in December's issue of Motorboats and Yachting...if anyone's in the slightest bit interested (and i suspect a number are definetely not)

Cant you put the pics up here?? - dont have the funds avilable to buy such
mags....

Jonathan
Old 07 November 2005, 21:22   #377

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
Cant you put the pics up here?? - dont have the funds avilable to buy such
mags....

Jonathan

I think there might be a copyright issue if i did that...!
Old 10 November 2005, 12:08   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson
They are discussing the Deauville rally here also.
http://www.deauvillerally.com/deauvillerally/forum/

NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo

It's not back ALREADY??????
Old 10 November 2005, 12:12   #379

SOB .... it's true.....

"The success and buzz of the 2005 Deauville Rally made a huge impact in the media, covered by Channel 4, ITN, BBC, Motorboat and Yachting magazine, The Telegraph and Metro magazine to name but a few. The significant media coverage and feedback from the 2005 Runners, many of whom have already signed up for next year, has resulted in mission control formulating an even more exciting schedule for the 2006 BLADE RUN.

Key additions to the mission are that we have extended the route to add two more days of fun and adventure and we have brought the finish line back to England (Poole Harbour) where participants, after being greeted by the press on their arrival, will sit back in the evening sun, relax, and enjoy a glass of champagne at a black tie dinner, whilst swapping stories from their trip and debating who will win which award at the Award Ceremony!! "

Champagne in Poole? Evening Sun? What HAVE they been smoking?
Old 10 November 2005, 17:11   #380

Town: Cowes
Engine: 225 Opti
BLADE RUN...

Me thinks this will involve THESE FOLK