Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 18 January 2013, 04:44   #41
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
you dont need quals to be a safety boat
__________________

__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2013, 04:45   #42
RIBnet supporter
 
C2 RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Not sure that has anything to do with powerboat racing:

I have honestly never seen any powerboat race organiser insist on a safety boat skipper having a ticket to do the job. I think sailing and yacht clubs might require it if they use the club boats?

Not sure what darts has got to do with anything? Yes many sports get more money that powerboat racing - even yacht racing is much better funded with huge sponsors but they are in the Olympics. Unless you have a brilliant idea to change that then we have to man up and get on with it and do the best with what we've got and stop wingeing!
Cookee, it has nothing to do with racing, but RYA seem to have caused you all this grief as outlined in recent media and posts. Race organisers ask for safety boats I assume to marshal and act as rescue staff- RYA course states "communication, rescuing other water users" so it may be relevant.

I was unaware that organisers dont ask for a safety/training ticket- so effectively a volunteer could bring their boat into a high speed environment and act as a marshall with no training? I have worked at many of these from Cowes and seen the speeds and dangers and have seen some marshalls not helping your arguement.

I am fully behind your sport- my reference to darts was sponsors and TV money, Equestrian sports have the same problems your sport has, lack of funding for expensive activity. The RYA have a massive role to play here as they have influence
__________________
Ian
Rib charter and Rib hire with www.c2ribs.co.uk
C2 RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2013, 04:53   #43
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Cookee, it has nothing to do with racing, but RYA seem to have caused you all this grief as outlined in recent media and posts. Race organisers ask for safety boats I assume to marshal and act as rescue staff- RYA course states "communication, rescuing other water users" so it may be relevant.

I was unaware that organisers dont ask for a safety/training ticket- so effectively a volunteer could bring their boat into a high speed environment and act as a marshall with no training? I have worked at many of these from Cowes and seen the speeds and dangers and have seen some marshalls not helping your arguement.

I am fully behind your sport- my reference to darts was sponsors and TV money, Equestrian sports have the same problems your sport has, lack of funding for expensive activity. The RYA have a massive role to play here as they have influence
The recent media reports are not surprisingly a highly distorted view of the situation and I would ignore everything in the media. Mike Lloyd in all fairness has allegedly been misquoted and although the RYA haven't helped as much as I think they could they didn't sink the race, that's a whole bigger story that I'm not prepared to discuss in public as it is just my opinion.

Safety boats are briefed extensively in their roles before each day of an event and are placed in areas which are out of harms way, to my knowledge no safety boat has ever been involved in an incident with a race boat - all you need is a bit of common sense. Experienced safety guys are always put in the more critical areas.
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2013, 06:07   #44
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
AndrewN - For the record I have suggested to the organisers that they try and include the owners of cross channel powerboats to follow the race route and take part as a cruise - something you might be interested in helping promote?
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2013, 06:20   #45
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
Been out doing my good knight bit with my 4x4 my post was a general observation. But while in on what about medically I had to do the same medical on a different bit if paper. One for my commercial skipper and another for race licence What's that all about then
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2013, 06:24   #46
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Been out doing my good knight bit with my 4x4 my post was a general observation. But while in on what about medically I had to do the same medical on a different bit if paper. One for my commercial skipper and another for race licence What's that all about then
Nothing new there - same for HGV driving licence and the bit of paper that says you aren't a kiddy fiddler - one isn't enough and you have to get a new piece of paper for every organisation you are involved with!
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2013, 06:45   #47
RIBnet supporter
 
gotchiguy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,948
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
even yacht racing is much better funded with huge sponsors but they are in the Olympics.
Missed a trick there then, think London 1908 was the last time there was powerboating in the olympics, perhaps there could have been a campaign to bring it back last year!
__________________
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2013, 07:05   #48
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hamble
Boat name: Vigilant
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x225 Honda's
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
AndrewN - For the record I have suggested to the organisers that they try and include the owners of cross channel powerboats to follow the race route and take part as a cruise - something you might be interested in helping promote?
Thanks Cookee, certainly something to look at when we have more details of what is planned etc....
__________________
AndrewN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2013, 08:52   #49
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,367
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Nothing new there - same for HGV driving licence and the bit of paper that says you aren't a kiddy fiddler - one isn't enough and you have to get a new piece of paper for every organisation you are involved with!
Not any longer - they are portable - IF the place you are taking it to excepts the portability.

Some do, some don't.
__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2013, 12:00   #50
CJL
Member
 
CJL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,115
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
you dont need quals to be a safety boat
As an event organiser really you should be doing though!

And quals don't necessarily mean you are any good!! We don't let people out unless they are qualified and experienced.

People who are highly qualified but can't demonstrate a decent history of experience seriously worry me!! Ticket chasers??

Chris
__________________

__________________
www.northernexposurerescue.org.uk
A registered charity supporting events across England and Wales
Follow us on Vimeo and Facebook
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.