Click Here to Login

Old 01 May 2013, 06:42   #1

Town: Villars
Boat name: Tally-Ho
Make: Scorpion
Length: 9m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 300xs
Best outboards for Cowes - Monte Carlo

i am currently refitting my rib and was thinking about entering this race. these are long distance runs so need something reliable and powerful rather than something quick off the mark.

At the moment i am heavily in favour of the 300 etecs but was also looking at the 350 Verados

Any thoughts on the best outboards for this particular race ??
Old 01 May 2013, 07:18   #2

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
i am currently refitting my rib and was thinking about entering this race. these are long distance runs so need something reliable and powerful rather than something quick off the mark.

At the moment i am heavily in favour of the 300 etecs but was also looking at the 350 Verados

We are a race boat builder and have a boat running in Marathon at the moment, the Marathon rules don't favour outboards and especially Verado's putting them in a higher class than they deserve.

Having said that the only outboard I would select is the Verado 350. The biggest problem in open water racing is the strength of the saddle and I can quote many examples of other engines breaking these components, P1 Etecs are well known for it and one of the teams running Yamaha's have had some failures. In addition the 350 Verado has a stronger gearbox and saddle (if you can call it that) than the 300. These engines were built for high performance on big centre console boats in the States and are made to last.

Should you require any more help or advice please get in touch - Cookee@bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2013, 09:50   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
These engines were built for high performance on big centre console boats in the States and are made to last.
Since it is also built by Mercury racing does the 300XS also have a stronger saddle and gearbox?
Old 01 May 2013, 10:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Since it is also built by Mercury racing does the 300XS also have a stronger saddle and gearbox?
Yes, the 200XS and the old XR2 as well as the 280 ROS (Race OffShore) as well as the older 300X all have beefed up saddles. P1 chose Evinrudes in the UK over Mercury as they were the best deal. Interesting when Honda pulled out of sponsoring their series they fitted Mercury's (300XS's) onto the Cougar hull which made an enormous difference to the handling as they also come in a shorter leg than the Honda engines - another reason to choose Mercury IMHO.
Old 01 May 2013, 14:28   #5

Town: woking
Boat name: Mid Life Crisis
Make: HM Powerboat
Engine: outboard, 2 x 400hp
carbon neutral, the Revenger 32 was fitted with Mercury racing 300xs's, and seemed to do well in Round Britain 08, and the subsequent marathon bits it has done.
Guess it depends on how the boat is driven and handled as to how long bits last.
As you say Cookee I think London - Monte Carlo will be largely a case of the tortoise catching the hare, rather than the fastest boat winning.

Be great to see another entry, and a Scorpion at that. (From a Scorpion owner)
Old 01 May 2013, 22:11   #6

Technically the Verado 350 would be the nicest choice. 700hp on the back of the cabin rib..simply awesome. But.....and there is always a but.....from the first quotes coming in the Verados are £25k more expensive. You have to ask yourself if the extra 100hp and extra weight is worth £25k. Have not made up my mind yet but such a big gap really complicates matters and gets you thinking !!
Old 02 May 2013, 06:54   #7

Quote:
Technically the Verado 350 would be the nicest choice. 700hp on the back of the cabin rib..simply awesome. But.....and there is always a but.....from the first quotes coming in the Verados are £25k more expensive. You have to ask yourself if the extra 100hp and extra weight is worth £25k. Have not made up my mind yet but such a big gap really complicates matters and gets you thinking !!
The gearbox and "Saddle" are both beefed up for racing, that's where the extra money is. If you think you can not push it and you can't/don't want to pay the extra then 300's will do. With your boat I would include some investigation into strengthening work on the transom - the Verado's have a lot of torque and you don't want everything to end up in the ocean!
Old 02 May 2013, 12:12   #8

i have been doing some more research on the opti 300XS - apparently only 3-4 mph difference over the 350sci but 70-75kg lighter and burns less fuel ! so a 140kg 'ish weight saving on the transom to a 350 verado set up. It will be interesting to see what price they come in at compared to the etecs.
Old 03 May 2013, 08:21   #9

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
When we used to race offshore boats with outboards we used to use rubber straps tied around the outboard leg into the transom to stop them rocking and breaking the saddles and also fatiguing the transom. That was a long time ago and not sure what everyone does now.
Old 04 May 2013, 07:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubcat View Post
When we used to race offshore boats with outboards we used to use rubber straps tied around the outboard leg into the transom to stop them rocking and breaking the saddles and also fatiguing the transom. That was a long time ago and not sure what everyone does now.
Multiple strands of bungy, there are quite a few things that you can do depending on the leg and saddle to give a longer life to everything.
Old 14 May 2013, 18:46   #11

Town: Boldre
Boat name: Seahound V
Engine: Inboard
Quote:

I fitted out and raced Seahound IV for 4 years 1998 to 2001 and won many races including the BIBOA Round Scotland " Stockdale Trophy" in 2000

We ran with the new Promax 300s and in the rough the boat was awsome

I wish you all the best and look forward to meeting up for a chat

Chris Strickland
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seahound 1V racing 2000.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	79995