Old 19 August 2005, 18:41   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Yay I got the grades!

Picked my A-level results up yesterday and thank god, I've got the grades I need to get my place at Portsmouth uni. So I shall be starting there in October to study Enterprise Dynamics in e-business.

Will have to get involved with some of the RIBnet - Pompey drinking expoditions!
Old 19 August 2005, 19:01   #2

Length: 6m +
Us current Pompey students have already made plans as to what you freshers will be up to in your first couple of weeks - especially if you come across any members of the Uni Sailing Club :-d

Seriously though, well done on your grades, you'll have a great time in Pompey, as it's south coast location is pretty much unbeatable! You'll even have lifts up to the church for the ribnet sessions if you're nice to me...

You planning on bringing the rib down?
Old 19 August 2005, 19:05   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Well done Tim!

Enjoy your study of "buzz words"
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2005, 19:22   #4

Quote:
You planning on bringing the rib down?
I'd like to. Main issue will be storage though, along with storage of the car. I've got a friend who might be able to help.
Old 19 August 2005, 21:27   #5

Sure the sailing club could help you sort something out, although where our club is isn't the most convenient of places. Have you tried Eastney Cruising Association?

Have you got student halls? If so which ones, as I was in halls that didn't allow cars last year, and found a couple of good spots that weren't time restricted for my car, would be happy to fill you in on the closest location for you.
Old 19 August 2005, 21:30   #6

Yer I've already paid the deposit on my room - Trafalgar hall (my first choice). I think I'm on the 10th floor so hopefully I will have a good view.
Old 20 August 2005, 08:56   #7

Traf is a nice hall, and there is free non-traffic warden parking literally 2mins away from it, which is where I kept my car. Strictly you're not supposed to have a car in those halls, but the managers can never find out.
The place to park your car is in St James's Road, which is just to the East of Trafalgar hall. The end closest to the main road is blocked off, and there is a pay and display car park which you want to avoid, but loads of space on the road itself, and on Wellington Street which runs off it. Parked my car there for a year, never had a problem

10th Floor is all very well, but you'll hate it when the lifts break down and when you have an all too frequent fire alarm!
Old 20 August 2005, 09:01   #8

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
So I shall be starting there in October to study Enterprise Dynamics in e-business.
I must be getting old

Quote:
Will have to get involved with some of the RIBnet - Pompey drinking expeditions!
won't be any time for that, the Pompey Rib Building Forum will be well underway by then

Pete
Old 20 August 2005, 11:00   #9

Yer the stairs are going to be a chore I think.....Especially on the first day when everyones trying to get all their stuff into their rooms!

Only thing that worries me about parking on street for a year is my car being broken into or stolen.....
It will cost me £25ish to drive from home to Pomey, so £50 round trip. That's the same as the train (with a railcard). They will probably both take the same amount of time. Only advantage of the train is I can work during the journey. Disadvantage is I'd have to cross London on the tube. Call me paranoid but I don't really fancy doing this at the moment.....

What about TV licence; can I easily get away without one: lots of people I've spoken to say don't bother but I don't really want a 1k fine.....
Old 20 August 2005, 14:42   #10

My car was never broken into - it's quite a busy streetlight area. You do want to avoid Earlsdon Street around the back of Traf hall though - parked there for a bit but stopped when a friend had her car broken into there. Never had a problem in the other 2 places though.

Getting around pompey is dead easy on bikes, my car is only useful when I'm going home, or cos I do a lot of freelance work around portsmouth, southampton and hayling island, so need a car to get about. It's all about weighing up how much you'll actually use it, and how much your fellow students will abuse any lift priveliges!

I didn't bother with a tv license in halls, on the basis that they're so big they're unlikely to be able to narrow it down to your room, and I don't know anyone that got fined.