Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 January 2013, 01:28   #1
ncp
Member
 
ncp's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,189
Yank needs travel advice

I have a 2 for 1 coupon on British Airways that will expire in the first week in May. The terms allow me to use frequent flier miles (avios is what they are calling their miles/points now). So, for example, I can fly Los Angeles to London roundtrip for 50,000 points...for two of us. Straight to Paris, for two of us, 58,000, etc. Very reasonable!!!

I did a quick trip (11 days) back in 2001 which was Paris/Rome/Florence but, obviously, I need to see other places. Based on weather, proximity to attractions, etc., where would you go between now and early May?

I haven't had any good reason to head over but it seems stupid to let this coupon go to waste (and, yes, I need to be one of the two travelers so I can't sell it). I surf, dive, hike, and ski (but skiing seems like a bit of a hassle).
__________________

__________________
ncp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 04:21   #2
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,268
RIBase
That's a nice position to be in. Everyone will have their own taste for a trip to Europe, in terms of sight-seeing, culture, food, and activities. If it were me, then a week in Norway, Denmark and Sweden would be great. Scenery should be fantastic. Temperature wise it may still be chilly. Opportunity to do diving, surfing and fishing.

Facts about the Kingdom of Norway - Official Travel Guide to Norway - visitnorway.com
__________________

__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 05:03   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,367
RIBase
What's your restriction on location? Seeing you dive can you get to Egypt or perhaps Bali? Both have lovely diving and top side attractions.

If in Europe only Cyprus has some great wrecks, Plymouth will be great diving in May as will Weymouth for UK wrecks and reefs.

You could tie this up with some walking in the UK, Lake District or Dartmoor are two good options.

Again if you can get there Malta offers great diving as well
__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 22:11   #4
ncp
Member
 
ncp's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
If it were me, then a week in Norway, Denmark and Sweden would be great. Temperature wise it may still be chilly. Opportunity to do diving, surfing and fishing.
Finland,Sweden, and Norway are on the list but think April still might be a bit cold for most hiking and watersports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
What's your restriction on location?
As far as my miles will take me (and I have plenty).

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Seeing you dive can you get to Egypt or perhaps Bali? Both have lovely diving and top side attractions.
Egypt...is it safe right now as an American? (just going off what our media tells us) Bali...probably too far as I would have to fly Los Angeles-->London-->Asia

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
If in Europe only Cyprus has some great wrecks, Plymouth will be great diving in May as will Weymouth for UK wrecks and reefs.

You could tie this up with some walking in the UK, Lake District or Dartmoor are two good options.
This may be a good idea as they will let me do a multiple day layover in London on the same ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Again if you can get there Malta offers great diving as well
Sadly, It doesn't look like I can get to Malta as it's a codeshare flight. I got really excited once I started researching it!

I'm going to keep brainstorming!
__________________
ncp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 01:50   #5
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,829
How about Valencia in March for Fallas?

http://www.donquijote.org/culture/sp...las-fallas.asp
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 01:58   #6
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,829
Or see if anyone has spare seats for the Easdale Rib Rendezvous in Scotland?

Easdale rib rendezvous 2013
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 04:50   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,367
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post

Egypt...is it safe right now as an American? (just going off what our media tells us)
The main resorts of Sharm, Luxur and Hurgada are safe as houses, when I was out there last year we asked about the strife and was told as its the tourist area they'll not touch it - they Country needs the cash tourists inject.

Siva Grad Hotel in Hurgada is a good resort and dive with Diamond Red Sea, I'm happy to ping them an introduction for you


Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
Bali...probably too far as I would have to fly Los Angeles-->London-->Asia
Shame as it's lovely diving, I guess the whole of this area is out of scope? Thailand, Silawise etc? Don't write off Fiji. Had some great diving there and flew direct from LA


Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
I'm going to keep brainstorming!
Good luck. Google the Zenobia if you like wrecks and book with Alpha Divers - Chris is a great guy.
__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 05:36   #8
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
The main resorts of Sharm, Luxur and Hurgada are safe as houses, when I was out there last year we asked about the strife and was told as its the tourist area they'll not touch it - they Country needs the cash tourists inject.
I've visited both Sharm and Hurgada a number of times in the 90s. The diving was good but even coming from where I do , I felt that the security presence was very high. That didn't make me feel safe, quite the opposite - I assumed that they felt there was a need for it! The part that worries me is that in certain trouble spots around the world, tourists are just accidental victims, but in that region, they're the specific target.

The threat level has just been raised, BTW
__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 06:10   #9
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
or there's the Round Anglesey Cruise end of April, I'm sure we can find a couple of spare sets amongst us

Round Anglesey cruise - Saturday 27 April 2013
__________________
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 07:32   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,367
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I've visited both Sharm and Hurgada a number of times in the 90s. The diving was good but even coming from where I do , I felt that the security presence was very high. That didn't make me feel safe, quite the opposite - I assumed that they felt there was a need for it! The part that worries me is that in certain trouble spots around the world, tourists are just accidental victims, but in that region, they're the specific target.

The threat level has just been raised, BTW

When there last year the security was very low key, there but as we only went off resort to dive never felt it intruded.

The change in the threat level is another thing -Eqypt is off the list in my book
__________________

__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.